B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old May 21st 07, 03:48   #31
Jade Jaguar
First One

Re: New vote for worst episode ever: Between the Darkness and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post

I also love that, in the middle of these two wars, where Sheridan is being this powerful, amazing leader, we see him make such a big, obvious mistake- one based on him being too naive and good to imagine what this news crew can do.
That's something else I didn't like about it. It doesn't seem plausible to me that Sheridan could be SO naive in this case, when he is so good at understanding and exploiting the natures of those he has to deal with. Most adults in our time would be able to forsee such twisting, if not the specific invention of the "interbreeding program."

Still, I'm not saying it is an awful ep, just that it is a one-trick pony, to quote myself, and the ep I least enjoy rewatching. No doubt I found it more interesting the first time.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st 07, 05:10   #32
GKarsEye
First One

Well that's another reason I actually love the ep- while re-watching it, I get to follow how exactly they're gonna re-use the bits they record to create their broadcast.

I'm generally a sucker for those weird, one-off episodes where the format is different- this one, Intersections in Real Time, Inquisitor, the season 4 finale, The Corsp Is Mother, heck, even A View From the Gallery. Day of the Dead is the one such that dissappoints me because I feel like it was a great idea that they didn't take full advantage of.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st 07, 07:38   #33
maneth
Ambassador

Deconstruction of Falling Stars I don't like, because I find it too pessimistic. In the end, what B5 achieved didn't matter much. It didn't stop the great sacking of the Universe, and the backlash against science and technology.

I'll grant you that the episode was decently crafted, especially given that it's really a filler episode shot at the last minute, but I find it too depressing for words.

I really didn't like the episodes where Sheridan was being interrogated (The Face of the Enemy & Intersections in Real Time), I found myself yawning far too often. It somehow felt as if they were belittling true psychological torture/brainwashing, as it felt too fake for me. For that reason alone BtDatL is a relief, when they're no longer stuck on Mars.

My least favorite episode of all is probably Comes the Inquisitor. I just never got the point and was very disappointed the first time I saw it: all that setup and for what?
Old May 21st 07, 18:45   #34
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
In the end, what B5 achieved didn't matter much.
I think you're missing the point of that episode. Yes, earth destroyed its own civilisation. But it was able to rebuild in a way that would lead to a greater way of being, based on the principles and actions of the Babylon 5 story. Not only did it matter, but it was the guideline for the development of at least two of the greatest civilisations in the galaxy.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st 07, 19:04   #35
maneth
Ambassador

I understand what you're getting at, but I still think it was a bit disappointing.
Old May 21st 07, 20:09   #36
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneth View Post
Intersections in Real Time <snip> It somehow felt as if they were belittling true psychological torture/brainwashing, as it felt too fake for me.
I'm curious. What exactly felt so fake to you that it would be taken as belittling the concept or victims?

I mean, there are some concessions to necessities of dramatic presentation (such as limiting the amount of repetition in the questioning, without which audience yawns multiply exponentially). Other than that (which I give them as a necessary element of their story telling, much like faster-than-light travel), I'm really not sure what was so fake.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd 07, 05:29   #37
hypatia
First One

Yea, haven't you noticed how quickly strangulations and suffocations happen on t.v. and in film. It's not very realistic, true. But it's even more true that I wouldn't sit through the scene (or the rest of the show, probably) if it were displayed realistically.

And t.v. births are... well, we won't go there.
Old May 22nd 07, 08:55   #38
maneth
Ambassador

That's a fair point I suppose. I can accept that unrealistic portrayal may be necessary, but in that case, why show it at all? Of course I like most if not all viewers of the show am lucky in that I've never been exposed to any sort of attempts at brainwashing.

My main gripe against those two episodes, however, is that I simply found them boring. I'm not saying I need huge explosions or fights in every episode to be happy, but...
Old May 22nd 07, 15:22   #39
GaribaldisHair
First One

OTOH, Intersections is one of my favourite eps of the entire run.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd 07, 04:23   #40
Pinky Narfanek
Lurker

Quote:
Deconstruction of Falling Stars I don't like, because I find it too pessimistic. In the end, what B5 achieved didn't matter much. It didn't stop the great sacking of the Universe, and the backlash against science and technology.
It didn't stop all of that, but it did give humanity a point from which to rebuild on multiple occassions. After The Burn, monks are illuminating the story of Babylon 5 with talk of "Ivanova the Strong" and when Sol ends, the information surrounding "the little space station that could" is considered important enough that we are saving it and archiving it for still more study after thousands of years! If anything, I believe that Deconstruction shows us the ripples of a single event, and the impact that it may have far into the future.

Quote:
My least favorite episode of all is probably Comes the Inquisitor. I just never got the point and was very disappointed the first time I saw it: all that setup and for what?
I believe that the point was a warning to those who believe they have a destiny (that you may not, and that many will die as you attempt to win glory for yourself, will you pay that price as well?). It also shows us what the Vorlons were truly capable doing (putting a notorious killer on ice for use when they felt like it), and begins to really let us know that the Vorlons are not kindly parents. It also shows us the level of commitment between Sheridan and Delenn.

That's just my take on it, though. Your milage would appear to vary.