B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old April 17th 07, 23:05   #21
Recoil
First One

Re: How good are the script books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telepath View Post
TSpeaking of stretches, think of "In the Beginning" and the doc-and-Sheridan-peacetalk mission

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I think I mentioned that very thing in another thread. It wasn't a part of the story that had to be told with Sheridan or Franklin. That G'Kar and Lennon could have done it with just about anyone there. I always felt that was stretching things just a bit. Good word.
Old April 18th 07, 11:11   #22
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I think the framework and idea was already there, its just when O'Hare left the show and BB came in, they took Sakai's arc and gave it to Anna Sheridan. It can't be a coincidence that BOTH of them ended up working with IPX and exploring things out on the rim...right?
Also, Sinclair's girlfriend in The Gathering (Caroline?) was already a pilot, constantly off in deep space where she might have potentially encountered scary things. I do think that plot line was going to be *someone's*, from the start.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th 07, 13:34   #23
Recoil
First One

Yep, good point.
Old April 20th 07, 01:11   #24
Jan
Psi Cop

Volume 11 of the Script books went on sale today at the reduced price of $29.99 for the first week. Coupon code GASHESWORLD will give an additional $5 off and is said to be good until the 24th of this month. This one has the longest introduction yet at 72 pages.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th 07, 04:13   #25
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Volume 11 of the Script books went on sale today at the reduced price of $29.99 for the first week. Coupon code GASHESWORLD will give an additional $5 off and is said to be good until the 24th of this month. This one has the longest introduction yet at 72 pages.

Jan

Thanks for the coupon code, Jan. I ordered Vol. 11 and the Karma throw pillow a few minutes ago.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th 07, 10:54   #26
raw_bean
Commander

Doh! I ordered the book before looking here. Oh well, I'll use the coupon code as an excuse to buy a couple of quote mugs! Thanks Jan.
raw_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 07, 22:55   #27
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
That may be the Party Line, but I don't think I'll ever be convinced that is ENTIRELY what happened. It may have been a part of it, or something in the back of his mind he was formulating, but I still believe there were other factors that lead to O'Hare flat-out leaving the series. Factors we will probably never truly know about.
Well, the full version of the "party line" has always been that at the end of S1 all of the relevent parties wanted basically the same thing ...... but for completely unrelated reasons.

JMS had by then decided that previously planned coincidences of having that one character personally tied in to all of the sides of the story wasn't the best way to write it.

PTEN suits wanted a series lead with a higher TVQ rating than O'Hare provided.

O'Hare, a lifelong East Coaster, after one year in California preferred not to live on the West Coast for four more years of a series (visit for a week or two for a guest shot now and again: sure; live there full time for the run of the series: no).

Now, we'll probably never know who felt most strongly, or who first said out loud that taking O'Hare completely out (save for a couple guest shots) was a realistic option. But the rough generalities of the above convergence doesn't seem at all unlikely to me.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 07, 13:16   #28
Sindatur
Techno-mage

I was under the impression that evenafter JMS had made the decision that the entire arc was too much for only Sinclair (and would have to bring in the character who became Sheridan) that he still didn't intend for Sinclair to leave quite so early?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 07, 14:24   #29
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
I was under the impression that evenafter JMS had made the decision that the entire arc was too much for only Sinclair (and would have to bring in the character who became Sheridan) that he still didn't intend for Sinclair to leave quite so early?
I've never seen anything to indicate that. What I recall is that he'd realized that the Sinclair character would have been relegated to being more of a catalyst (had he stayed) while the Sheridan character was brought to the forefront.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 07, 19:49   #30
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I've never seen anything to indicate that. What I recall is that he'd realized that the Sinclair character would have been relegated to being more of a catalyst (had he stayed) while the Sheridan character was brought to the forefront.
I remember from a commentary or something that he said he realized it was unrealistic for Sinclair to be everything to the arc that Sinclair and Sheridan made up, so he decided he had to split the arc between two characters, but, I thought Sheridan was meant to come in a half season or a bit more later, rather than starting right at the beginning of S2.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote