B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 26th 07, 17:49   #31
Joseph DeMartino

Re: A B5 Complaint From a Newbie

Quote:
Every boy knows that you take your jumpers off and dump them in the form of a goal.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that "jumper" in British English denotes a different article of clothing than it does in American English. Although given the historic English fondness for cross-dressing (e.g., Monty Python, Benny Hill, soccer uniforms) I suppose I could be wrong.

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 07, 18:02   #32
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that "jumper" in British English denotes a different article of clothing than it does in American English. Although given the historic English fondness for cross-dressing (e.g., Monty Python, Benny Hill, soccer uniforms) I suppose I could be wrong.

Regards,

Joe
Jumper = Sweater

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 07, 18:09   #33
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Jumper = Sweater
Ah, as I suspected, not one of these:

Old February 26th 07, 18:17   #34
crazyhorse
Anarchist

We call that a dress

We were them too sometimes

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 07, 18:26   #35
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino View Post
Ah, as I suspected, not one of these:

HEHE, in the second Harry Potter film there was quite the controversy about Ginny Weasley asking if anyone had seen her Jumper, and the mother replying "Yes, it's on the Cat" (She asked where her sweater might be and was told it was on the catwalk, but, most American non-reading fans thought the cat was wearing her over-dress.)

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 07, 20:26   #36
A_M_Swallow
First One

Picture of a man in a jumper.

A pile of jumpers.

A website that sells them.
http://www.josephturner.co.uk/Joseph...offercode=goo1
Old February 26th 07, 20:41   #37
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Football training is easy to show.
Not necessarily with the cast involved.

Quote:
An American sport was shown because the series was made in America.In no way does this bother me.
Or, alternatively ......

They point was to show the character engaging in the passtime of playing a sport that he had played since childhood. So they chose one that the actor in question had actually played since childhood.

Better that than have him looking like a complete neophite with absolutely no accumulated skills at all .... while waxing nostalgic about having played all his life.

You don't even have to have ever played whatever sport you're talking about to spot the difference between someone who knows what they're doing and someone who doesn't have a clue.

Back to the original question:
Do we really *know* that space was allocated for an entire diamond with outfield and such?

I've seen indoor driving range gear where you hit the golf ball into a screen / net / whatever and sensors pick up the impact position and force of the ball .... then CGI shows the rest of the projected flight path of the ball. Are we completely certain that Sheridan's batting cage wasn't a similar setup? (It requires a little more space to get the pitching machine far enough away from the plate. However, beyond that it would seem that the same principles ought to work just fine.)

I seem to remember that the computer voice announcing the batter's results wasn't always very accurate. I think there was one where the computer says something like "Fly ball" when we had clearly just seen the ball leave the bat on a downward (ground ball) trajectory.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 07, 20:41   #38
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
Football training is easy to show.
Not necessarily with the cast involved.

Quote:
An American sport was shown because the series was made in America.In no way does this bother me.
Or, alternatively ......

They point was to show the character engaging in the passtime of playing a sport that he had played since childhood. So they chose one that the actor in question had actually played since childhood.

Better that than have him looking like a complete neophite with absolutely no accumulated skills at all .... while waxing nostalgic about having played all his life.

You don't even have to have ever played whatever sport you're talking about to spot the difference between someone who knows what they're doing and someone who doesn't have a clue.

Back to the original question:
Do we really *know* that space was allocated for an entire diamond with outfield and such?

I've seen indoor driving range gear where you hit the golf ball into a screen / net / whatever and sensors pick up the impact position and force of the ball .... then CGI shows the rest of the projected flight path of the ball. Are we completely certain that Sheridan's batting cage wasn't a similar setup? (It requires a little more space to get the pitching machine far enough away from the plate. However, beyond that it would seem that the same principles ought to work just fine.)

I seem to remember that the computer voice announcing the batter's results wasn't always very accurate. I think there was one where the computer says something like "Fly ball" when we had clearly just seen the ball leave the bat on a downward (ground ball) trajectory.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th 07, 14:24   #39
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
Do you have any idea how much it cost to develop a virtual reality umpire as blind and clueless as a living one? This is what the "reality" part of "virutal reality" is all about.

Regards,

Joe
Old February 27th 07, 14:46   #40
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowRock View Post
I think there was one where the computer says something like "Fly ball" when we had clearly just seen the ball leave the bat on a downward (ground ball) trajectory.
I LOVE it that they picked baseball!!!

I think I remember the computer saying "foul ball"...when Garibaldi was hitting and Sheridan distracted him. I think the Captain even smiled when he heard that. I'm re-watching the whole thing but haven't gotten that far yet. I may jump ahead and view just that scene.

I do remember noticing they had Bruce bat right-handed and Jerry left-handed. They may have blocked it that way for staging purposes alone but I think they're both left-handed. I'm afraid fantasy interrupted reality when I saw Sheridan batting so well; not sure he could really do that but it sure made me smile!

Last edited by Boxie; February 27th 07 at 14:49.
Boxie is offline   Reply With Quote