• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

So who else is counting the days until...

Recoil

Regular
...January 15th, when JMS might be able to clue us in on his new B5 project? :) He actually said the 15th or maybe late January, which could mean anytime on the second half of this month, but the 15th is the earliest we would hear anything so thats what I'm waiting for. :)

I've been counting the days ever since it was announced. Thank goodness we have Season 4 on DVD to hold us over until then! ;)

I'm keeping my ear to the ground.

According to this site, Winchester Films are in discussions with jms with reference to a feature film. They are hoping to start production in late 2004 for a 2006 release. However, I’ve never come across this site before and don’t know how reliable it is.

It would be nice to see B5 come to the big screen to get the recongition .I think the show deserves but whatever JMS is working on we will have to wait and see.And hope for the best.As Delenn said Faith Manages.

According to this site, Winchester Films are in discussions with jms with reference to a feature film.

I'm very skeptical about that report. They don't even hint at their sources. A couple of weeks ago the Dark Horizons website reported a rumor that JMS was talking to Winchester films about an unspecified film project for 2004. DH speculated that this rumor, coming close on the heels of JMS's post about a new B5 project, might mean that the new project is a feature film.

A lot of other sites have since picked up the DH story, some giving credit, others not, and evidently some print mags have as well. Nearly all of them report the rumor as if it said that Winchester was talking to JMS about a B5 movie - which is not what the original rumor said. When fans (including myself) pointed out that Winchester and JMS could not be talking about a B5 film without Warner Bros. being involved (given that they own the show) the rumor morphed to "Winchester wants to work with Warner Bros."

Winchester Films is interested in bringing Babylon 5 to feature status with Warner Bros. They are talking with B5 Creator J. Michael Strazynski about story ideas.

If this report is current and accurate, this can't be the new B5 project, because JMS is already writing it and has been since early December. Under WGA rules he cannot start writing for a project like this without a contract in place, and the contract has to state what he will be paid for his outline, first draft, subsequent drafts, etc. All of that is always laid out before the writer starts writing. So if he's talking to Winchester about "story ideas" now, it has to be about another project.

If the project goes JMS will have to pen quickly has it Winchester Films would like to start production by late 2004.

Again, JMS has indicated (indirectly) that he's been writing since December and has a January 15th deadline to turn in whatever he's working on. So as far as the writing is concerned the B5 project is already a "go", the story ideas are settled, and he's been writing it for a month.

The question no one has answered yet is why Warner Bros., which is notorious for not wanting to share pofits with anybody (they stalled for years before licensing B5 to Columbia House for VHS release, and they helped kill the Rangers project by refusing to cut Sci-Fi in for a piece of the action), would want or need an outside partner to do such a movie. It isn't like they don't have the cash to do it on their own.

The whole thing just sounds odd on the face of it, and the on-line SF press has basically been playing "telephone" ever since JMS's posts went up. They mostly quote (or rip-off) variations of the story from one another, and every embellishment that one adds is further exaggerated by the next. So far the only firm facts are what JMS has told us. There is also a rumor that he's talking about a movie with Winchester in the UK - but nothing to say that it is a B5 film. (JMS has been known to write other things, after all.)

I'll wait until I hear from JMS himself.

Regards,

Joe

If there is a feature film in the works, do you think WB will try to bring in some kind of big-name star(s) to sell it? I know that JMS will want the original cast to play their characters, but do you think that we might see an A-list star or two in strong supporting roles?

:LOL: Bruce Willis as Garibaldi's brother! :LOL:

Sorry, that one just kinda came to mind. :D

I hope JMS doesn't plan on doing a movie. To date I have yet to be impressed with most of his one shot work. He's an excellent story writer but he needs the duration to do so.

I'm hoping it'll be something dealing with Technomages.

If there is a feature film in the works, do you think WB will try to bring in some kind of big-name star(s) to sell it?

Don't see why they would. Paramount certainly never did with the Trek films. If you're going to do a feature version of a TV series not too long after the series ends, with the original cast, you want to keep the fan base and attract more general viewers. The original cast and fidelity to the spirit and backstory of the original gets you the base, FX and a good story gets the general movie goer (with good word of mouth) A "name" star can get help your film "open", but the built-in TV audience is usually enough to do that. After opening weekend word-of-mouth is everything, and a big bucks "guest star" probably isn't going to make a lot of difference there. The film as a whole is either going to be appealing enough that people recommend it or isn't.

So the studio doesn't get enough bang for its buck with a "big" star - there's no upside. On the downside you've got the fact that any "name" actor is going to want substantial screen time and the spotlight in the story. The studio would want the same thing to justify the expense. That take the emphasis away from the original cast and the basic story - which are the reasons you're making the film in the first place. I don't see any real advantage to doing things that way. Especially if the story is the Teep War, because the only really big "guest role" in a feature film of this type is the main villain, and that would go to Walter Koenig as Bester.

Regards,

Joe

I haven't gotten through all the posts before me so I'm sorry if I'm repeating someone, but;

The rumors may have next to no basis in reality but it is kinda fun that B5 is as big a deal to elicit them. Yeah, yeah the rumors are being printed in sci fi mags, but still it's nice.

:D

Paramount certainly never did (bring in big stars)with the Trek films.

Um, yeah they did. They didn't get big big stars but they did have

F. Murray Abraham in Inserrection
Malcolm McDowell in Generations
James Cromwell in First Contact

There are a few more but I couldn't find them all.

I read a while back (when I was still a trekker :D ) in a Star Trek: Communicator interview with Rick Berman that they try to get one well known actor for every trek feature.

Just for the record :D

-SG

None of those is a big name actor at all in terms of box office. Not one of them could "open" a movie. And Cromwell, despite a long career, was virutally unknown when he was cast. He wouldn't become a recognizable name until Babe which was released after he shot the Trek feature.

And you'll notice that they didn't start adding "names" of any kind until the screen franchise was in trouble (after Shatner's disasterous directing job.) When the franchise went to the big screen for the first time (which is the situation B5 would be in) the closest they came to a "name" was Ricardo Montalban. So I think the logic still applies to a possible B5 film. And I did note that the one role where some kind of "name" could be added was the guest villain (Abraham, McDowell, arguably Cromwell since Cochrane was an antagonist and an obstacle one half of the story.) If you want to consider Montalban, McDowell and Cromwell "major" actors, then Walter Koenig could qualify as well. So if it's the Teep War, they may already have their big star without going outside of normal casting.

Regards,

Joe

When the franchise went to the big screen for the first time (which is the situation B5 would be in) the closest they came to a "name" was Ricardo Montalban.

And even that had less to do with his "name" than it did with the fact that he played Khan in the original episode from TOS.

IIRC, Christian Slater had a bit part in "ST: Generations" because he loved the franchise so much and just wanted to be a part of it. I also remember that Samuel L. Jackson approached Lucas for a part in Star Wars because he just wanted to be a part of the story (never expecting to be such an important character). You think there are any "names" out there that might lend their talent (or just their faces) to the production just because they like the show so much? I hear that Ryan Stiles (of "Who's Line Is It Anyway" and "The Drew Carey Show") is a big B5 fan, and there are other fans with familiar names that I just can't recall right now. A motion picture might draw out some good cameos from a celebrity or two...y'think?

IIRC, Christian Slater had a bit part in "ST: Generations" because he loved the franchise so much and just wanted to be a part of it. I also remember that Samuel L. Jackson approached Lucas for a part in Star Wars because he just wanted to be a part of the story (never expecting to be such an important character). You think there are any "names" out there that might lend their talent (or just their faces) to the production just because they like the show so much? I hear that Ryan Stiles (of "Who's Line Is It Anyway" and "The Drew Carey Show") is a big B5 fan, and there are other fans with familiar names that I just can't recall right now. A motion picture might draw out some good cameos from a celebrity or two...y'think?

Well, there was Martin Sheen, course I don't know the story behind that one. I just hope Boxleitner and Doyle are in it, though it would be cool if a big-ish actor wanted some part in the next B5 project, whatever it is. I was kinda hoping it would be a mini-series. There have been a fair number of mini-series being made in the past couple of years. 'Taken', that Battlestar Galactica remake, Farscape's filming a mini right now.

Joe, my point was Star Trek did try to get at least recognizable names for the movies.

-SG

Never thought I'd answer a Trek question, but Undiscovered Country is (along with Wrath of Khan) about all I've ever seen of ST, so I think yeah, Slater was in it.

Boxleitner is not a huge name, but he's a recognizable name. And if the big guys at the studios want broader-spectrum sci-fi appeal, then Walter Koenig is draw enough.

I think so. He had about 2 lines, waking up Capt. Sulu. I'm not sure that he even took a screen credit.

Something like that is theoretically possible for a B5 movie. I could even imagine a "recognizable name" (but not a "box office" name) being hired for one or two days of work to lend weight to a part such as, for example, the EA President at the time of the Teep War (someone who would be seen mostly, or entirely, via viewscreens and ISN broadcasts; with even those not adding up to much screen time).

In general, though, I agree with JoeD. JMS & Co. are *not* going to bring in "box office" name (someone like Cruise, Kidman, Crowe, ...).

Don't forget Christopher Plummer in Undiscovered Country (who was quite famous from The Sound of Music) and Christopher Lloyd in Search For Spock. But in general I agree with Joe. The 'star' name wasn't the main attraction in the Star Trek movies, and neither would it be for a B5 movie.

Frankly, even if the project had room for a guest hero or villain, I'm not sure if I'd want the role to be filled with a big name actor/actress. I think I'd rather have a talented unknown play the role so I can enjoy the story for what it is.

Of course, there are always a few exceptions. ;)

Back