• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Hans Zimmer

So, who likes Zimmer's scores for movies like Crimson Tide, The Rock, As Good As It Gets, etc.? I recently bought his first live album The Wings Of A Film and found it very enjoyable. It's very nice concert in a way, as the album doesn't feature any action music. Especially I am now very fond of the theme from Driving Miss Daisy and The Lion King.

Regards,
Marko Marin

He's the favourite composer for many people. He brought some publicity to the soundtrack business, mostly with classic scores like Backdraft and Crimson Tide. I think he blends perfectly the tratidional orchestra, synths and percussion so that it makes the music easy to listen. And as I've understood, Hans Zimmer is a good friend of Chris Franke, who gave his old Big Moog to him as a gift.

Regards,
Marko Marin

Gladiator is good. Works exteremely well in the movie, but it's not an album I listen to as much. I like to listen to his older stuff, like Broken Arrow or The Rock (thought that wasn't all him). The great thing about his music is it doesn't just work for the film, but it works as an albulm as well

I think Zimmer makes great movie-soundtracks. The music from "The Rock" is among my favourites , makes shivers go down my spine every time I listen to it. A great action-movie it is with some great music!
grin.gif

He's not my favorite, but I do like his music.
smile.gif

Backdraft and Lion King are probably my two favorite Zimmer scores.

Never heard (or saw) the Rock. I might rent it to give the music a listen.

The Rock (composed by Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams and Nick Glennie-Smith) actually started my soundtrack-collection along with The Lost World. Some say that it's just head bashing heavy metal with orchestra, but I must agree. It's an entertaining album and you must not take it too seriously, altough it's very dramatic. Especially the first and the sixth track.

Zimmer founded the Media Ventures, which has many known soundtrack-composers (Trevor Rabin, John Powell, Harry Gregson-Williams, Mark Mancina, etc.) which has that Zimmer-sound in their music. Some people even claim that MV is just a factory but I disagree.

Btw, just ordered Rabin's score for Armageddon. The waiting is killing me.

Regards,
Marko Marin

Oh, it really annoys me when all those ignorant John Williams purists types bash Zimmer for being "hevy metal electric bangning music" GRRR! His music is as far from that as you can get. He perfectly blends electronics with real orchestras to give him a unique quality to his work.

I just thought of something. Chris Franke is always extremely talented at blending electronics with orchestras. Whose style do people like more?

I like Hans Zimmer's music a lot, even though he's had a tendency to steal riffs from Mozart - especially in the Lion King and Crimson Tide.

I love the Lion King soundtrack. Did Zimmer do Gladiator? Cause I love that one, too. Those are the only two soundtracks I have.

I like Hans Zimmer's music a lot, even though he's had a tendency to steal riffs from Mozart - especially in the Lion King and Crimson Tide.

Yes he does that, but I think it's mostly a homage to the great composers of the past. He also took a lot of inspiration from Holst's Mars and Wagner to Gladiator.

Zimmer vs. Franke... Frankly I can't decide. They both do a great job. Altough I miss the times when Hans composed his music to large suites (in The Peacemaker The Chase was 17 minutes long, in Crimson Tide Alabama was 24 minutes).

Regards,
Marko Marin

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back