• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The First White Star

I agree with the above comments about TKO it isn't a bad ep.Especially Garbaldi I think we see a more human person than we ever really see again .

I actually like TKO pretty much because of a sucker for alien fighting movies :) Also a few things are forshadowed in it including the line "Garibaldi watch your back"

capt

It may sound like the default stance but personally I don't like TKO.

My main reason is that I find fight scenes rather boring unless something else is happening (look at Return of the Jedi or Empire Strikes Back, both have important plot development and stuff during the fights). In particular I really don't like 'Martial Arts' and the Mutai definetly has plenty of that.

At first when I watched episodes like Grail, TKO etc I thought they were just run-of-the-mill Sci-Fi episodes. Now I see the deeper characterisation, foreshadowing and stuff which makes B% great. However out of every episode in the first season (and I think in the entire series) the only one which makes me run through bits is TKO.

I must be one of the few here who really despises TKO. The fighting storyline was dull enough, but then we had to deal with Ivanova. Show of hands - who really DIDN'T expect Ivanova to come running back to Koslov at the last minute and pouring her guts out over her dad? It's been done. It was boring. It might have been necessary, but it was boring.

I found her scene to be quite touching. And a very definite background story so that the way Ivanova deals with people is explained a bit.

To each his own.

I liked a lot of the details put into TKO. Admittedly, the both the fight scene and the teary "Uncle-Yossel!" shout are stock, but neither seemed too inappropriate.

For example: Walker Smith's view of alien races as "Snake Heads", and his utter lack of respect for the Mutai both underline prevailent themes in the first season. ("The War Prayer" and, to a lesser degree "And the Sky Full of Stars")

Also, I think Commander Sheridan sitting Shiva with Ivanova was important because she refused to open up to any other station personnel before. We learn in "The War Prayer" that she litterally puts the job first, and after she turns down Talia's attempts at friendship, and Garibaldi's drink in "Born to the Purple" she seems more-or-less alone. When Ivanova refers to Sinclair as "my good friend" I can't help but smile.

I like TKO. I'm not all that into the Mutai stuff, but I think the other storyline gives us much insight into Susan Ivanova.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back