• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

R.I.P. Harlan Ellison

Sad now. The world is a far less interesting place now.

He was once kind to a friend of mine who was dealing with terminal illness, allowing me to auction off his time and space in order to help. I'll always love him for that.

Fair journey, Harlan.

Last edited:
Just saw this elsewhere and had to come here to see if anyone had posted anything. Death sucks; it happens too damn much and to all the wrong people.

That is sad news. He wrote clever stories, with a kind of poetic tone. More like Bradbury than Asimov, and that can be tricky to pull off with science fiction. I thought I read something about an adaptation of his "Repent, Harlequin..." recently, too.

I thought I read something about an adaptation of his "Repent, Harlequin..." recently, too.

JMS wrote an adaptation for it. Back in 2011 he posted:

Originally Posted by JMS
Since this has apparently leaked onto several film-oriented websites, I should probably confirm the information and preclude distortion: I have optioned, and adapted into screenplay form, Harlan Ellison's "Repent Harlequin, Said the Ticktockman." It's out to producers, studios and directors now. We hope to find a director who has always wanted to make this story into a movie. More as, if and when it develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
I should mention that Harlan has never allowed anyone else before to option or adapt Harlequin for the screen, and the draft has his personal seal of approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
I've been asked in email which sites had the information. The two main ones are trackingb.com and itsonthegrid.com. (The latter is the more accurate, at least it spells my name right.) So I figured better to get in front of it than let it sneak up behind me or get distorted.

Sadly, I don't think we heard of anything since then.

I thought I read something about an adaptation of his "Repent, Harlequin..." recently, too.

JMS wrote an adaptation for it. Back in 2011 he posted:

Originally Posted by JMS
Since this has apparently leaked onto several film-oriented websites, I should probably confirm the information and preclude distortion: I have optioned, and adapted into screenplay form, Harlan Ellison's "Repent Harlequin, Said the Ticktockman." It's out to producers, studios and directors now. We hope to find a director who has always wanted to make this story into a movie. More as, if and when it develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
I should mention that Harlan has never allowed anyone else before to option or adapt Harlequin for the screen, and the draft has his personal seal of approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
I've been asked in email which sites had the information. The two main ones are trackingb.com and itsonthegrid.com. (The latter is the more accurate, at least it spells my name right.) So I figured better to get in front of it than let it sneak up behind me or get distorted.

Sadly, I don't think we heard of anything since then.

I don't know if this is even sadder, but we might now.

For anybody attending San Diego Comic-Con, there will be a celebration of Harlan and his work on Sunday, July 22 from 3:00 - 4:30 PM:
Harlan Ellison: A Celebration of His Life and Works
The world recently lost a titan writer/fantasist, Harlan Ellison. But the stories he left behind are legendary. Attend this loose and likely profane celebration of the man and his writing as moderator Chris Ryall welcomes Josh Olson, Bill Sienkiewicz, William Stout, Erik Nelson, Steve Barnes, Nat Segaloff, Jude Meyers, Scott Tipton, J. K. Woodward, Christine Valada, Jason Davis, and as many other friends of Harlan that can fit on and around the dais. As a bonus, Dreams with Sharp Teeth director Nelson will also feature some never-before-seen documentary footage of Harlan, and all in attendance will get complimentary print, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back