• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Interludes And Examinations

Point Of No Return

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
Of all the Alien Characters ,I loved Kosh best of all. more so after Dust from Dust when he helped JKar find Peace and started Londo toward some kind of redemption. In this one he helped Sheridan knowing what the cost was, Not telling Sheridan directly what his intervention was going to mean, As Leeta observed some episodes later Deep down Kosh genuinely cared. Through all of his Enigma you could see someone both wise and caring and compasionate in a way that the rest of his people were not. That always came through about Kosh, he was very sympathetic you pulled for him. Seeing him die like that was heart wrenching, More so when he appeared to Sheridan in the guise of his father to say good bye but he placed a part of himself in Sheridan to protect him. :(

Early in the series, I found it difficult to relate to Kosh in any emotional way. Sheesh, even the actors referred to him as the "juke box"! But in this episode he relates to Sheridan in a very personal way, and seeing him die is a shock. (Like reading about Gandalf's death in the Lord of the Rings - the mentor is gone, you're on your own.) Sheridan's courage in facing up to Kosh comes partly from the fact that he realizes he has nothing to lose.

The theme of decisions and responsibility shows up again when Garibaldi tells Franklin "It's your decision". I like that he didn't pull up the data on the doc - some things not even he does!

As much as I hate Londo at times, I feel for him at others. Seeing him so very happy is a touching moment, and when that happiness is destroyed, I grieve with him. However, I'm annoyed that he still doesn't see through Morden and realize that he's being used. Morden creeps me out - he's always a friendly liar at best, but he definitely looks and acts more sinister now.

I do like the way Kosh's death was handled, as indirect reflections and no specifics. Any direct pictures would have been a let-down, I think. I also like the fact that he appears to Sheridan in the guise of his father - as he appeared to G'Kar as his father. The significance of his words about always being with Sheridan is a bit of information that will pay off later.

Early in the series, I found it difficult to relate to Kosh in any emotional way. Sheeshs, even the actors referred to him as the "juke box"! But in this episode he relates to Sheridan in a very personal way, and seeing him die is a shock. (Like reading about Gandalf's death in the Lord of the Rings - the mentor is gone, you're on your own.) Sheridan's courage in facing up to Kosh comes partly from the fact that he realizes he has nothing to lose.

I wonder if Kosh wasn't kept at a distance, artistically, to make this loss even more bitter. Kosh becomes a character that is sympathetic only as he is to die. Makes you wish this side of him could have come out earlier.

But then it wouldn't have impacted you as much.

Gandalf came back, however. JMS's deaths and other means of writing out characters are a bit more realistic.

This episode and "Sleeping in Light" were, I think, the only two episodes that brought a tear to my eye. The passing of Legends, indeed.

Another great episode. This one is of course dominated by Kosh's death, but there is so much other important arc stuff in here ...

Mr. Morden just sort of stumbles, by chance, on the one way to get to Londo and is able to renew their relationship. I can't help but feel bad for Londo, to see him so happy and excited, only to have it all crushed. You know Adira would have made him a better person.

Dr. Franklin and the stims .. Yea... Kind of amazing that Dr. Hobbs hasn't quit already, although I suppose that now that the station has seceded from the Earth Alliance, she might not have many options. There does seem to be a pretty high turnover in medlab. I quite liked Dr. Hernandez in the first season. Then there was that other dr. who got yelled at by Franklin when she correctly identified the dust connection between the two patients in Dust to Dust. I think she was in the episodes before/after that one, too.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the interaction between Garibaldi and Franklin here. And Franklin eventually admitting that there is indeed a problem. About time.

Somewhat unrelated, but those sliding doors in medlab always looked pretty annoying to me. I'd be forever tripping over the "bottom" door as it was sliding to the side.

Kosh's death still makes me sad. I've always been so excited about the Vorlons. Even knowing everything that comes after, I guess the Vorlon programming worked on me too because I'm still excited when I actually get to see one, and I want to feel good about them. Kosh, especially, because he seems to have "gone native" in a way, after his time on Babylon 5. He seems to really care about the people there, about Sheridan, for sure. The scene where dying Kosh appears to Sheridan looking like his father is quite moving, as is the scene of his ship flying towards the star. I feel kind of sad for the ship, too.

That scene where the Vorlons attack the Shadow fleet is still exciting to me. We've never seen this many Vorlon ships! And they're winning! The only problem with this bit is when the people in the war room follow the battle on their display, and it's kind of a super old school display. It makes me laugh a bit.

Also, about the intro bit: "Brakiri space" always looks so pretty! You know, even when it's full of attacking Shadow vessels :p

Kosh's death still makes me sad. I've always been so excited about the Vorlons. Even knowing everything that comes after, I guess the Vorlon programming worked on me too because I'm still excited when I actually get to see one, and I want to feel good about them. Kosh, especially, because he seems to have "gone native" in a way, after his time on Babylon 5. He seems to really care about the people there, about Sheridan, for sure. The scene where dying Kosh appears to Sheridan looking like his father is quite moving, as is the scene of his ship flying towards the star. I feel kind of sad for the ship, too.

I agree! For so much of the series the Vorlons are like this mysterious race who doesn't really seem to care about the younger races, just about how they can use them to achieve what they want to happen. But in this episode, you do indeed get the sense that Kosh wasn't like the other Vorlons, that he actually did seem to care for the younger races, and for Sheridan in particular. I was sad to see Morden and the Shadows kill him, and I kinda missed him after that.

Latest posts

Members online

Back