• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Before, During, or After the teep war?

Zoriah

Beyond the rim
Can we get a confirmation one way or the other?

Jomar just revealed that a friend spoke to JMS at the Gathering and he said it the timeline was set for 2265 and before the teep war, and that if the series goes on it may feature in the storyline.

If so, this is exciting news.

------------------

Exciting indeed...
smile.gif
cool.gif

Funny how I got the impression from all previous news and jms comments that he'd stated specifically that the Rangers movie would take place after the teep war.

I wonder if he's just reconsidered and decided it's better to have the story before the teep war or have I simply misunderstood everything?
crazy.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say."

I think, the best option is "During Teep War". So, JMS can include many interesting plots into possible new serie.

------------------

Sence this is based in 2265. If the movie is trun into an series we can see them meeting the crew of Crusade in the third season!
laugh.gif

------------------
Home of the index of Alien races of Crusade: (Hopefully more updated more when Crusade comes back!)
http://babylon5crusade.cjb.net

This was discussed on another thread, or in another site. If "Crusade" were revived as well as a B5LR series, wouldn't that be a USA tv-first? Two series, sci-fi, set in the same Universe at basically the same time? I admit, it makes me think that this scenario is less likely. But I can hope!

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Hypatia:
If "Crusade" were revived as well as a B5LR series, wouldn't that be a USA tv-first? Two series, sci-fi, set in the same Universe at basically the same time?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think, it's impossible, it can not happen.
smile.gif

------------------

Not first, I'd say third:

Star Trek TNG & Star Trek DS9
Star Trek DS9 & Star Trek Voyager

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say. This was one. No, not good. Not supposed to mention 'one'... or 'THE one'... Mmmm. You never heard that."

hypatia:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> If "Crusade" were revived as well as a B5LR series, wouldn't that be a USA tv-first? Two series, sci-fi, set in the same Universe at basically the same time? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been done with Star Trek. There was some overlap beween ST:TNG and ST: DS9. And some between ST: DS9 and Voyager.

Also been done with Buffy:tVS and Angel.

The X-Files and Millenium, though the latter didn't fare too well.

MOmega:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I think, it's impossible, it can not happen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing on televison is impossible with properly motivated money.
smile.gif

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

[This message has been edited by taichidave (edited June 14, 2001).]

Oh yea! Of COURSE! I didn't know about the other examples you mentioned, but how could I have forgotten about Star Trek?

Thanks, you just made my day!

And I can still hope!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Thanks, you just made my day! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to know even at home sick with a monster headache I can still make someone's day!
smile.gif

Remember, they said B5 would never go five seasons.

I'm not sure I'd bet on Crusade returning, but am I sure I wouldn't bet against it!

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

[This message has been edited by taichidave (edited June 14, 2001).]

Hope you feel better soon, Taichidave. Can't Ibuprofin help?
frown.gif

------------------

I've been told that the quickest cure for a headache is amputation....

Sorry. my sick sense of humor kicking in again.

------------------
Marcus, "Well They said I was carrying around a lot of repressed anger.
Lennier, "and?"
Marcus, "I'm not repressed anymore."

I ment that if the Rangers go into an series. At season 3, it would be the year 2267. I belive we could see some Crusadeguests appering on the Ranger TV show.

------------------
Home of the index of Alien races of Crusade: (Hopefully more updated more when Crusade comes back!)
http://babylon5crusade.cjb.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
taichidave:
Nothing on televison is impossible with properly motivated money.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are right, of course, but Babylon 5 never had money.

hypatia:
I think, it's not good to have two series from the Babylon Universe. The reason is simple: it very soon runs out of ideas. Look at StarTrek. They had two series in the same time (DS9 a VOY), but both of them were empty, without ideas.
So, I don't want two series. I would like only ONE and EXCELLENT.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I think, it's not good to have two series from the Babylon Universe. The reason is simple: it very soon runs out of ideas. Look at StarTrek. They had two series in the same time (DS9 a VOY), but both of them were empty, without ideas. So, I don't want two series. I would like only ONE and EXCELLENT.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trek didn't run out of Ideas. They had Lots of ideas. Some were even borrowed from Babylon 5.
crazy.gif

Trek suffered from a lack of Ability on the part of their upper management. They essentially crippled their writers with a long list of things they Couldn't _DO_ with an idea. Like solve a problem with something other than Technobablle. Like write a story that made a Difference to future episodes. The famous RESET Button.

Trek was mismanaged, not starved for ideas.

JMS, OTOH, doesn't put up with that sort of Pak'ma'ra Excrement. He writes and encourages others to write Stories that kick the audience in the teeth occasionally. Stories that make you go "Oh My Ghod!"

Two B5 Universe stories at once would, IMHO, be one of the best things that could happen to television.
cool.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Trek was mismanaged, not starved for ideas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen. That's a really good way to put it. By all accounts, modern Trek has been so narrowly defined that it feels like a strait-jacket to many writers.

Not to knock Trek or anything, but it's obviously a problem. They keep trying to invent so many new work-arounds that it's gotten kind of silly.

On the other hand, the B5 universe seems more driven by possibilities, not loopholes. The what-if's and why-not's, instead of "We can't."

------------------
Joe Medina (neargrai@aol.com)

"...that which are, we are"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> On the other hand, the B5 universe seems more driven by possibilities, not loopholes. The what-if's and why-not's, instead of "We can't." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget the "I always wanted to..."

And, occasionally "The suits would Plotz if they knew what this Really Meant."
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

Not to take up valuable thread space with my health problems, but my head feels much better!

I did - briefly - consider Cern's suggestion.
crazy.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I ment that if the Rangers go into an series. At season 3, it would be the year 2267. I belive we could see some Crusade guests appering on the Ranger TV show. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could easily happen. No substitute for Crusade coming back though.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> You are right, of course, but Babylon 5 never had money. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PTEN provided money for B5 seasons 1-4.

TNT provided money for one season of B5, not one, not two, but four TV movies.

TNT also provided money for 13 episodes of Crusade, but we don't need to go there or my head will start to hurt again.

Now, SFC has provided money for a TV movie and seems poised to fund at least one series.

As long as ratings are there and jms feels like telling us stories, B5 will stick around.

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> but Babylon 5 never had money.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a Money point of view, Babylon 5 was a Much better bet than ANY of the Trek shows. Trek is Very Expensive and usually runs Over Budget. JMS only got a Fraction of the amounts trek takes for granted and, in spite of that, brought in almost Every Episode _Under_ budget. The money people should have been dancing in the aisles. It cost less than they expected, it got better Ratings than they expected. Which translates to Higher Profits than they expected.

None of which made a bit of difference to them. They had the preconception that the show would fail and all the evidence in the world couldn't get that out of their heads.

Of course, the fact that all of PTEN's Other shows DID fail also hurt. When PTEN went, that was the thing that really killed B5 for Warner. The lawyers did some Very Fancy tap dancing to get the rights out of the Bankruptcy so TNT could continue to finance the show.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

Back