• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

More B5 on the way?

Great. It doesn't sound like a comic book adaptation. No problem with some of the really good ones we've seen, it just seems that's all we've seen of sci-fi or fantasy for a long time. Well, there have been some bright spots.

It would be nice to have more. Do it all over again, eh? :)

No idea whether it was a web series or not. "New distribution system" Is what he said.

Jan

Told you we should be nervous. I had a bad feeling about this. I once hoped and always tried to stay positive for more B5 stories but this is now turning into a sad joke. If Warners does not want to do it, then stop messing with JMS. And JMS should just say he is done with Babylon 5 once and for all and that way everyone will know and can accept, that there will be no more B5 on any screen.

Told you we should be nervous. I had a bad feeling about this. I once hoped and always tried to stay positive for more B5 stories but this is now turning into a sad joke. If Warners does not want to do it, then stop messing with JMS. And JMS should just say he is done with Babylon 5 once and for all and that way everyone will know and can accept, that there will be no more B5 on any screen.

I agree. I'm just so bored with all the half messages, rumours, and cryptic clues that either come to nothing or some project that gets aborted early or is of questionable quality. It would be great if jms told WB 'enough is enough' to draw a line under it. B5 deserves that at least.

It would be great if jms told WB 'enough is enough' to draw a line under it. B5 deserves that at least.

Well, he did. That's why they were willing to give him a full season order and 2-3 million per ep. Things falling through can happen for a plethora of reasons in Hollywood.

I agree. I'm just so bored with all the half messages, rumours, and cryptic clues that either come to nothing or some project that gets aborted early or is of questionable quality. It would be great if jms told WB 'enough is enough' to draw a line under it. B5 deserves that at least.

Then the solution would be to not pay any attention. JMS's purpose from early on in his interaction with fans has always been to de-mystify the process of making TV. Well, all of the stars and stops and maybes are very much a part of that. Hell, the more I know, the more Im amazed that anything ever gets made. But there's no sense in anybody getting upset with JMS over it. Just don't pay any attention.

Jan

Sounds like WB wanted to launch a Hulu style site with a new full budget B5 series. Hopefully, we will get a smaller series with same budget per episode via existing channels, but maybe non-broadcast (initially).

I'm quietly optimistic, but will not pin all my hopes and bet the cat-food allowance on it. I'll also stop following rumors (honest).

Wonder if this would have been Babylon Prime?

Then the solution would be to not pay any attention. JMS's purpose from early on in his interaction with fans has always been to de-mystify the process of making TV. Well, all of the stars and stops and maybes are very much a part of that. Hell, the more I know, the more Im amazed that anything ever gets made. But there's no sense in anybody getting upset with JMS over it. Just don't pay any attention.

Jan

I'm amazed at some of the successful crap that DOES get made. I'm watching my Netflix DVD ("Idiocracy") right now, and the dumbing down of humanity from 2005 to 2505 (Idiots reproducing like rabbits, while highest IQ couples don't have kids.), as shown in "Idiocracy," seems painfully close to reality.

And now, on The Violence Channel, "Ow, My Balls." :rolleyes:

I just watched "Inception" last night, and have recorded "Moon" on my DVR recorder to watch in the future. I have to admit, I thought "Inception" was fantastic. Maybe a bit predictable at the end (writers do like the same themes, don't they?) but extremely well done on all levels.

Really good writing. Interesting characters. Excellent acting. There is some interest in it out there, even if the majority of the movie was cutting between explaining the rules of the dreamworld and fighting scenes. :)

Maybe people are in the mood for some serious science fiction again. :) I will listen to rumors, even if I know they just never seem to come to much. When you're hooked, you're hooked. ;)

It seems to me like a lot of what would've made up the story of Babylon Prime already got folded into Babylon 5; I don't know what out of it would be able to be used for a new series now.

Babylon Prime sounds to me like some kind of multi species colony world Alliance project based on creating a B5esque community. But I know nothing about it... first I've heard of it.

One thing that might make good TV would be an adaptation (miniseries maybe?) of the Technomage Trilogy. Great potential for using effects, and shows about "magic" seem to have some mass appeal--Harry Potter for adults? Only thing is, this may not be new material for a lot of B5 fans (how much of the fanbase has read the books?), but I think it can offer a new "hook" into the B5 universe for those unfamiliar with the original series, as the story is a whole new angle of the Shadow War (only tricky part would be the places where it ties directly into some of the B5 episodes--you'd have to reintroduce characters like Sheridan). Potentially it could be the whole story of Galen and can continue with stuff covered in the Centauri Trilogy as well (as he was also involved there), and maybe some of where Crusade was going--but just the Trilogy itself would be enough, and probably would work better that way. The Technomage Trilogy was a lot darker overall that B5 itself was, and some of the scenes we'd see on Z'Ha'Dum would be pure horror genre--and there sure is plenty of hair-raising action. Think this would fly in a TV market, and could it be done standalone so that those unfamiliar with B5 can get into it? I think of all the books, this trilogy has the best potential for TV.

Although I'd prefer new material for the B5 universe, I could see a miniseries (or series of movies) based on the Technomage Trilogy as potentially a great artistic and cinematographic work that would appeal both to those familiar with it and those not, if done well. And this is from someone who never got into the "fantasy" end of science fiction before (and still don't for the most part), yet could really get into this story.

Edit: this probably doesn't belong in this thread, which is about actual (supposed) news of what JMS might be up to, rather than suggestions of what we'd like to see him do. But it's sounding like the former may be as much a pipe dream as the latter, alas....

Last edited:
One thing that might make good TV would be an adaptation (miniseries maybe?) of the Technomage Trilogy. Great potential for using effects, and shows about "magic" seem to have some mass appeal--Harry Potter for adults? Only thing is, this may not be new material for a lot of B5 fans (how much of the fanbase has read the books?), but I think it can offer a new "hook" into the B5 universe for those unfamiliar with the original series, as the story is a whole new angle of the Shadow War (only tricky part would be the places where it ties directly into some of the B5 episodes--you'd have to reintroduce characters like Sheridan). Potentially it could be the whole story of Galen and can continue with stuff covered in the Centauri Trilogy as well (as he was also involved there), and maybe some of where Crusade was going--but just the Trilogy itself would be enough, and probably would work better that way. The Technomage Trilogy was a lot darker overall that B5 itself was, and some of the scenes we'd see on Z'Ha'Dum would be pure horror genre--and there sure is plenty of hair-raising action. Think this would fly in a TV market, and could it be done standalone so that those unfamiliar with B5 can get into it? I think of all the books, this trilogy has the best potential for TV.

Although I'd prefer new material for the B5 universe, I could see a miniseries (or series of movies) based on the Technomage Trilogy as potentially a great artistic and cinematographic work that would appeal both to those familiar with it and those not, if done well. And this is from someone who never got into the "fantasy" end of science fiction before (and still don't for the most part), yet could really get into this story.

Edit: this probably doesn't belong in this thread, which is about actual (supposed) news of what JMS might be up to, rather than suggestions of what we'd like to see him do. But it's sounding like the former may be as much a pipe dream as the latter, alas....
I'd love it, and know many on the Web that also would. However, it seems, from my real life experience, the "General Audience" fans of B5 were mostly into the Shadow War. The Telepaths/PsiCorps (even before S5), left over Shadow Tech, Technomages (Many don't realize the Technomages are left over tech) stuff didn't appeal to them. Others may have different experiences.

If some of them could be brought along, it very well could work well

Latest posts

Members online

Back