• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

DVD continues to sell well

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
The B5 DVD continues to sell well, at B5LR.com at least. I can't comment on US-wide sales, but if this corner of the web is anything to go by, it's going well.

We sold 16 copies alone through B5LR.com yesterday. To me that's a lot, I used to barely sell anything when I had a Star Trek site!
smile.gif
And of course the DVD has been on sale for a bit now.

Fingers crossed on series boxsets!

------------------
My candle burns at both its ends,
It will not last the night.
But oh my foes, and oh my friends,
It makes a lovely light.

That's certainly great news!
smile.gif

It would indeed be great if we got box sets now... and just think, people buying box sets through B5LR.com wouldn't be too bad for you and the site either, would it?
wink.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

I'm already salivating at the thought Kribu.
laugh.gif

------------------
My candle burns at both its ends,
It will not last the night.
But oh my foes, and oh my friends,
It makes a lovely light.

Yeah, even though I'm not a huge fan of the pilot and have heard there are no special features on the DVD, I still bought two copies, one for myself, one as a Christmas gift. Just doing what little I can to help the sales.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

I've already had a copy of the dvd but this is good news and hopefully WB makes the series boxsets with some special features
smile.gif

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

Does anyone have any official word on how US sales are going so far? Or when we might hear?

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Studios don't normally release how much a disc sold unless it does really well so I doubt we'll hear anything about how it did from Warner Bros. Hopefully, we'll get an official announcement about the box sets soon.
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

I'm in the U.S., and I'm looking under rocks trying to find the DVD. The only place I can find them are online.

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I'm in the U.S., and I'm looking under rocks trying to find the DVD. The only place I can find them are online. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I found mine at Best Buy, and that was during the Christmas rush. Have you tried Best Buy, Circuit City, Borders Books, or Suncoast Motion Picture Company?

B5 might be too specialized for places like K-Mart & Wal-Mart. Not sure about Target.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ninja_Squirrel:
I think I found mine at Best Buy, and that was during the Christmas rush. Have you tried Best Buy, Circuit City, Borders Books, or Suncoast Motion Picture Company?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I'll check at Best Buy and the others, I checked Suncoast, but they didn't have it. Thanks for the help!
smile.gif

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

I don't know if this has been addressed elsewhere, but is the Zone 4 version available in PAL format or only NTSC - I finally found a copy today which was Zone 4 NTSC
crazy.gif

If it is only available that way, then I'll have to buy it - even though my TV can't play NTSC properly.
frown.gif

------------------
TBA

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shalinor:
I don't know if this has been addressed elsewhere, but is the Zone 4 version available in PAL format or only NTSC - I finally found a copy today which was Zone 4 NTSC
crazy.gif

If it is only available that way, then I'll have to buy it - even though my TV can't play NTSC properly.
frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's NTSC only, I believe.

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

At risk of re-confirming my status as this board's DVD Duffer ...

What effect does the PAL/NTSC thing have on using multi-region DVD players or PC DVD drives with PAL TVs in the UK?

I currently have only the latter with TV-OUT connection and my idea was to use only R1 disks on the PC drive (with both B5 and the Tron 20th anniversary thing now available) and at some point get either a Multi or R2 player to add to the growing pile of black boxes on the TV stand.

Anyone know whether this is likely to cause any glitches?

BTW - play247 advertises the B5 DVD as RCE-encoded, whereas comment on this board has been that it is not. Anyone know the truth?

BTW2 - I like the re-designed emoticons.

smile.gif
frown.gif
blush.gif
laugh.gif

tongue.gif
cool.gif
crazy.gif
mad.gif

crazy.gif
wink.gif
shocked.gif
lol.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

First of all, a piece of advice: when you happen to double-post (happens to all of us, so don't worry!), you can edit the SECOND (or first, whichever you choose) of the identical posts (the
edit.gif
button) so that it just says "sorry, double post" or something like that.

Now, about the DVDs: I believe you get the best result with a NTSC disk if you have a NTSC compatible TV, of course. However, my TV set - although new - is just PAL, and I managed to watch the DVD just fine (the DVD player I have plays both NTSC and PAL).

The picture quality may not have been absolutely perfect but it was crystal clear compared to regular broadcast or videos.

As for the RCE - I suppose it's a standard warning for all WB disks these days if the company hasn't stated flat out whether the DVD is RCE or not.

My DVD player is multi-regional/regionfree (not really sure... I can't switch it to any particular region, either manually or with the remote control), no hacks made, and it played the R1 DVD without any problems. So my guess is that it's not RCE.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers

Now pay attention, cause this can be bloody confusing. When we're dealing with videos you can only play NTSC on a vcr which supports it. Through a normal cable you wil have to go through an adaptor or use the right type of tv. However, there is one useful fact. If you have an NTSC signal, and a PAL tv using a SCART cable will mean ful image rather than a nasty B&W picture. This goes to show how much you can learn when trying to use imported PS games.

Essentially, go get SCART. Modern TVs have it, and if you don't get a cable with your dvd player it shouldn't cost much.

I recently learned why this works. It is due to the fact that SCART directly carries the video feed through the cable, rather than modulation, it isn't designed to carry signal from an aerial or such.

------------------
Lyta had a little Vorlon
Her skin was pale as snow
And everywhere that Lyta went
Her Vorlon was sure to go.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaleb:
Essentially, go get SCART. Modern TVs have it, and if you don't get a cable with your dvd player it shouldn't cost much.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you believe that my TV (bought late last year and brand new) doesn't have scart?
laugh.gif

It does have various other input thingies though, so the video from my DVD player goes to the S-VHS input of the TV. And as I said, it plays the NTSC DVDs without a problem.

But SCART should do the same thing. Of course, I don't know how much it costs if you want to connect your PC to the TV-set... in any case, a cable should be cheaper than a standalone player.
laugh.gif

------------------

Kribu, thanks for the advice. I have (belatedly taken it - although if my brain had been switched on I would have realised the solution. D'oh.

All this talk of DVDs and SCARTs and RCE kind of makes me think of all the jargon we financial services types spew out when we get going.

Thanks also for the heads up on the NTSC/PAL thing.

I always thought that the idea of developing technology was to make these things work better and more simply. Just shows how wrong you can be I guess.

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

You guys will be glad to know that Wb has exported the first DVD to South Africa and the advertising has started on line and as a result we can do our little bit down here to encourage sales
laugh.gif

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back