• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Space Command?

Are you saying you just learned about Space Command or that you just found the IMDB page?

EDIT***

Ooops! My mistake. I was talking about this over on JMS News.

If you are unfamiliar with this project it has been around for I want to say a decade (maybe not quite that long, but it seems like it) and the pilot has shown up on YouTube. I have heard terrible things, LOL, but now that I am basically stuck in my house maybe I will give it a watch tonight. I was just surprised because I have had that IMDB page in my saved WATCH LIST for many years. I had high hopes for all of the cast members, but it sounds like it didn't work out. I will still watch it and see for myself. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the actors.

Last edited:
So apparently the Pilot has been available on YouTube for awhile.

Here is the more recently trimmed version:

NEW! SPACE COMMAND

And here is a slightly extended version with Zicree intro that went up a few months prior to the newer cut.

SPACE COMMAND

I only watched the first one, so I'm not quite sure what the differences are, other than Zicree's intro.

Honest opinion is that this is not great. I tried to ignore the no-budget effects, but there are a couple of REALLY terrible moments. In particular I hate Doug Jones "Synthetic" headgear. That is definitely something that they could have done better with. The only CGI issue I had was the car ride scene. I mean I understand working with no-budget, but that was particularly bad.

This was not something that worked out. There are actually some decent performances, but they are from people who can take garbage and turn it into something, Mira Furlan and Robert Picardo. Bill Mumy was pretty good and the lead was okay, but for one scene that was absolutely unspeakably bad.

On the whole there was potential here that I doubt could ever be molded into something with the particular person running the show. I'm not all that familiar with Zicree's work, but enthusiasm doesn't make a project good. Skill, like what Furlan and Picardo have, is what make the lemons into lemonade. It is a shame that this didn't turn out better.

And side note: I love Doug Jones, but his character was supposed to be robotic and he pretty much nailed it - but that didn't make the character terribly interesting. LOL

Quite a lot of crowdfunded cash went into this, and it's just freaking awful. Zicree really needs to learn about pacing, editing, sound mixing and plot. It's a near incoherent jumble of scenes stuck together. I tried really hard to find good things, but they are so few and far between. Even the cast look embarrassed by the writing sometimes.

Zicree really needs to learn about pacing, editing, sound mixing and plot.

:guffaw: Yeah I think you nailed the issue right on the head. If he could just learn about those minor details this could have been great. :LOL: So perfect!!!!! That is the BEST review I could have ever read about this. :LOL: Oh dear Ubik I am rolling on the floor!!!!!! :guffaw:

I shouldn't laugh though. I feel TERRIBLE for the cast. This is when everyone should learn a lesson about how hard it is to be an actor. You know they all did their part and it all hinged on one persons ability or lack there of. Every time anyone mentions this film it should be "Don't blame the cast." followed by the sentence Ubik wrote above. :guffaw:

Zicree really needs to learn about pacing, editing, sound mixing and plot.

:guffaw: Yeah I think you nailed the issue right on the head. If he could just learn about those minor details this could have been great. :LOL: So perfect!!!!! That is the BEST review I could have ever read about this. :LOL: Oh dear Ubik I am rolling on the floor!!!!!! :guffaw:

I shouldn't laugh though. I feel TERRIBLE for the cast. This is when everyone should learn a lesson about how hard it is to be an actor. You know they all did their part and it all hinged on one persons ability or lack there of. Every time anyone mentions this film it should be "Don't blame the cast." followed by the sentence Ubik wrote above. :guffaw:

I am one harsh bastard! Sorry! But if you are going to spend months hyping up your project on social media like Zicree did... then... yeaaahhhhh. I feel for both the actors and the backers. I can't see any network or streaming service picking this up based on what was produced. Hell, he'd be better with an effusive pitch meeting.

I really do get the vibe he's going for, and I LIKE that overall vibe, but he needs some capable staff writers. It's George Lucas syndrome, where creators think they can do everything, but with no one to challenge them, you get a terrible end result.

Last edited:
But if you are going to spend months hyping up your project on social media like Zicree did... then... yeaaahhhhh. I feel for both the actors and the backers. .

OH UBIK, it was YEARS not "months". I can't remember the first time I heard about this project, but I would say somewhere in the vicinity of 2015 or 2016. It might have been even earlier than that. Pretty sure Mira started filming her scenes a few years ago. Can't guarantee that, but it seems like she and Bill Mumy were mentioning it a few years back. And I met Picardo in 2016 and I'm pretty sure he had already been working on it.

But if you are going to spend months hyping up your project on social media like Zicree did... then... yeaaahhhhh. .

Oh, much longer that months! He was invited to join the 25the anniversary panel at Worldcon in San Jose a couple of years ago and did his best to mention it with every breath. I'm afraid (okay, not really) that I cut him off rather abruptly more than once.

But if you are going to spend months hyping up your project on social media like Zicree did... then... yeaaahhhhh. .

Oh, much longer that months! He was invited to join the 25the anniversary panel at Worldcon in San Jose a couple of years ago and did his best to mention it with every breath. I'm afraid (okay, not really) that I cut him off rather abruptly more than once.

Hahaha, well done Jan. I can imagine he's a hard guy to shut up too!

Last edited:
Okay so who wants to compare SPACE COMMAND to BABYLON 5 SURVIVORS 1.11?

And if you want to watch more of Zicree here he is discussing B5:

How To Watch B5 & The Expanse

I LOVED the part where he mentions JMS' humor. OMG I immediately thought of Bridge Speech scene in the SPACE COMMAND Pilot. :LOL:

Okay so who wants to compare SPACE COMMAND to BABYLON 5 SURVIVORS 1.11?

And if you want to watch more of Zicree here he is discussing B5:

How To Watch B5 & The Expanse

I LOVED the part where he mentions JMS' humor. OMG I immediately thought of Bridge Speech scene in the SPACE COMMAND Pilot. :LOL:

Do I need someone like Zicree to explain how to watch TV? Naaaaahhhhh. :guffaw:

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?! That is the best explanation ever! Babylon 5 effects look great on phones so watch it on your phones. :LOL: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :LOL:

And did you see that he has actually taken the first hour of the pilot and broken it down into 5 to 7 minute segments with full credits and is calling them episodes?

And did you see that he has actually taken the first hour of the pilot and broken it down into 5 to 7 minute segments with full credits and is calling them episodes?

Wow, really?! Well, I guess you have to keep recycling what you have. I wonder if they'll finish any of the future movies, or if the bottom will drop out of it now people funding it know just how bad the final product looks?

This is INTERESTING reading

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back