B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old May 16th 09, 21:25   #1
Crusader
Ranger

The TNT TV Movies & Lochley

I've just watched "The Movie Collection" again and i must say alot of these are still very good. I do have to say that River of Souls is my favourite. Between Soul Hunters, Martin Shenn and Scoggins being allowed to shine this a great movie. Anyone else think this was the best one? and i do think season 5 could have been improved had Lochley been given more screen time.
This is my command. I'll do whatever's necessary. If that means turning the entire galaxy upside down and shaking its pockets to see what falls out, then that's what I'll do. I'm not subtle. I'm not pretty, and I'll piss off a lot of people along the way. But I'll get the job done.

- Captain Matthew Gideon
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 09, 21:46   #2
vacantlook

Re: The TNT TV Movies & Lochley

RoS is probably my least liked of the movies, honestly.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 09, 22:01   #3
Crusader
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
RoS is probably my least liked of the movies, honestly.
Really? Any particular reason?
This is my command. I'll do whatever's necessary. If that means turning the entire galaxy upside down and shaking its pockets to see what falls out, then that's what I'll do. I'm not subtle. I'm not pretty, and I'll piss off a lot of people along the way. But I'll get the job done.

- Captain Matthew Gideon
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 09, 22:33   #4
GKarsEye
First One

I am currently rewatching the series and am up to season 5. However, I have no plans to rewatch River of Souls or A Call To Arms. I just don't like the former and the latter is more like a pilot episode for a failed sequel series.

I will always, however, defend Lochley. She's not the reason I don't like River of Souls. I think she would have been awesome in Crusade. I just think the plot is stupid and I don't care about it.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 09, 23:16   #5
vacantlook

When I originally watched the series, I didn't like Lochley, but I've come to like her plenty over the years rewatching the show. As for RoS specifically, it's hard for me to put into words why I don't like it all that much. The general idea of the story I like well enough, i.e. the evolving species erroneously thought to be dying out by the Soul Hunters and thus captured and imprisoned. But there's something in the execution of the story that feels kind of empty to me. When I watch it, I come away from doing so feeling like there was just something missing. And I don't know what that something is. Maybe it's the casting arrangement and the lack of major alien players in the story, with the exception of the Soul Hunter. I never really liked the Soul Hunters much, so maybe that's it. I don't know.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th 09, 00:42   #6
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I've never even seen River of Souls or Call to Arms. 'Cause frankly, I saw Thirdspace and wasn't impressed.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th 09, 03:33   #7
GKarsEye
First One

I never liked the Soul Hunters either, but during my current viewing of the series I really enjoyed the soul hunter season 1 episode for some reason. I was just in a mood to enjoy that ridiculous character's dialogue.

ha... cho... RI... cho...
classic stuff

Thirdspace rules! Ok maybe not but I really enjoyed it during my most current viewing, admittedly in large part because it was the first thing I played on my kick-ass new receiver/amp and USB-DAC. But it's Lovecraftian, which is... you know, a thing. Stuff blowed up! I dug it much. And of course that elevator scene between Zack and Lyta... ooof, that hurts every time I watch it.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th 09, 03:59   #8
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I do have to say that River of Souls is my favourite.
I know that River of Souls gets dissed a lot, but I like it, at least as well as any of the movies, except for In The Beginning. I do like Martin Sheen, and it reminded me a bit of the Marvel comic Adam Warlock, because he was a soul hunter, and had a "soul gem" in the center of his forehead.

Third Space puts me to sleep...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th 09, 12:01   #9
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
I never liked the Soul Hunters either, but during my current viewing of the series I really enjoyed the soul hunter season 1 episode for some reason. I was just in a mood to enjoy that ridiculous character's dialogue.

ha... cho... RI... cho...
classic stuff
I actually rather like that early episode... it's just a little unfortunate that the Minbari term for "Soul Hunter" in colloquial British English makes them sound like they are paedophiles - "shak tot" sounds an awful lot like "shag tot".

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 09, 16:42   #10
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
And of course that elevator scene between Zack and Lyta... ooof, that hurts every time I watch it.
That, I will grant you, was amazing.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is online now   Reply With Quote