• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Wizard Magazine's "25 Greatest Sci-Fi Shows Ever"

vacantlook

Super Moderator
I guess I should feel lucky that B5 gets a spot on the list.

Here's the link. And if you don't want to click, here's the list:

25. Dark SHADOWS
24. Smallville
23. Red Dwarf
22. The Incredible Hulk
21. Night Gallery
20. Supernatural
19. Highlander: The Series
18. Babylon 5
17. The Outer Limits
16. Quantum Leap
15. The Dead Zone
14. Angel
13. The Prisoner
12. The 4400
11. Firefly
10. V
9. Jekyll
8. The X-Files
7. Star Trek
6. Lost
5. Battlestar Galactica
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
3. Star Trek: The Next Generation
2. The Twilight Zone
1. Doctor Who

A list putting Star Trek: TNG four places over Star Trek deserves nothing but or contempt.

Where's Torchwood?

25. Dark SHADOWS FANTASY NOT Sci-Fi
24. Smallville Most people on rast seem to think it's gone waaaay downhill.
23. Red Dwarf
22. The Incredible Hulk
21. Night Gallery
20. Supernatural FANTASY NOT Sci-Fi
19. Highlander: The Series FANTASY NOT Sci-Fi
18. Babylon 5 Should EASILY be in the top 5.
17. The Outer Limits (original)
16. Quantum Leap
15. The Dead Zone
14. Angel FANTASY NOT Sci-Fi
13. The Prisoner
12. The 4400
11. Firefly
10. V This high up on the list??? No way!
9. Jekyll Never even heard of it.
8. The X-Files Oh gimme a break! Ahead of B5??? The last 4 seasons sucked!
7. Star Trek TNG ahead of TOS??? No way!
6. Lost
5. Battlestar Galactica (2003-2009) Maybe in the top 10 or 15, but not #5.
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer FANTASY NOT Sci-Fi
3. Star Trek: The Next Generation Maybe in the top 10 or 15, but not #3.
2. The Twilight Zone (original)
1. Doctor Who

Well, at least Star Trek: DS9 and Star Trek: Voyager didn't make the list.

Last edited:
Y'know, I'm thinking we really oughta just give up on that complaint and just settle for "genre." After all, there are some fantastical elements in B5 -- sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic, after all.

Y'know, I'm thinking we really oughta just give up on that complaint and just settle for "genre." After all, there are some fantastical elements in B5 -- sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic, after all.

Not vampires. Not demons (except for ~possibly~ in Lochley's Lost Tale. We still don't know if that was a demon.). To lump the stuff that I labeled FANTASY in with sci-fi is ridiculous. Sci-Fi is fantasy with science fiction props substituted for magic. Where are the science fiction props in Buffy, Angel, Dark Shadows, Supernatural, Highlander-The Series, or The Dead Zone?

If they wanted to include vampires, demons, etc., thet should have made it a "Science Fiction and Fantasy" poll.

B5 is Soft Science Fiction (one or more presumptions; ESP, FTL, or one major departure from known reality. Emphasis on human reaction and action.)

Last edited:
A list putting Star Trek: TNG four places over Star Trek deserves nothing but or contempt.

Quoted for truth.

Wizard is a comic book mag, hence the Hulk & Smallville getting in there. They are the only 2 comic book series that have never totally sucked (season 1 of Louis & Clark aside) ...

Dr.Who kicks ass on any poll :thumbsup:

Got to agree that fantasy doesn't belong on that poll.

As much as I enjoyed Star Trek as a kid given a choice I would probably watch TNG before watching the original nowadays <takes cover> ;)

Can't believe Blakes 7 never made it :rolleyes:

What's funny about that? Torchwood should be in the Top 25. There's plenty of non-sci-fi on their stupid list, and Torchwood could take one of those spots.

Well, maybe Torchwood does deserve a place in the top 25 Sci-Fi shows of all times.

Which just goes to show that there haven't been very many Sci-Fi shows.

Sci-Fi is fantasy with science fiction props substituted for magic.

Exactly. So why draw distinctions?

Where are the science fiction props in Buffy, Angel, Dark Shadows, Supernatural, Highlander-The Series, or The Dead Zone?

Dead Zone had a pseudoscientific explanation for John's ability: his brain rewired itself. Buffy had the initiative, and Angel had all kinds of pseudoscience stuff... any time Fred opened her mouth, for instance.

Ooh, a semantics argument about sci-fi and fantasy. Fun. Let's all straighten our pocket protectors and put fresh tape in the middle of our glasses before continuing...

Exactly. So why draw distinctions? .

Because not drawing distinctions sometimes results in people stretching fanwankery past the breaking point.

Dead Zone had a pseudoscientific explanation for John's ability: his brain rewired itself. Buffy had the initiative, and Angel had all kinds of pseudoscience stuff... any time Fred opened her mouth, for instance.

I'll give you The Dead Zone, but not Buffy & Angel. Vampires and demons? Come on, it's not sci-fi. Similarly, I would not call "The Dresden Files" sci-fi.

You neglected to mention Dark Shadows and Highlander -The Series. Note, we are not talking about Highlander 2 (the awful movie, not the Renegade Edition) where they're really aliens from another planet.

Last edited:
I have to agree with peeps calling some of these shows out (the ones that are not science fiction.)

Have to ask what the D&D peeps are smokin' these days.

Latest posts

Members online

Back