B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old October 7th 09, 12:11   #191
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Oooh you cynic! :-p I checked before posting... Easter fell in April that year. It can never fall earlier than March 22nd and will never be as early as that again... until 2285! After Babylon 5 would be decommissioned.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th 09, 14:10   #192
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Oooh you cynic! :-p I checked before posting... Easter fell in April that year. It can never fall earlier than March 22nd and will never be as early as that again... until 2285! After Babylon 5 would be decommissioned.
LOL, it was just a thought. If it had fallen in the March 20-somethings, and they took a couple of weeks off after the episode, it would've worked out

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th 09, 14:42   #193
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_librarian View Post
I think the rest of the world could use the same argument about Sean Connery attempting to play a non scot.
Sean Connery has done the best Russian submarine commander accent ever

Sean has an accent all of his own

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th 09, 15:00   #194
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
As for the blatent racism in having a non Scot play Scotty (what's with that name) again do you not think that an effort could have been made to cast somebody who could actually gi ah wee bit reality tae the man
Does Karl Urban come from the Deep South?

Does Zoe Saldaña come from Cantral Africa?

Spot the fundamental flaw in your argument?
No flaw,I just don't care about them

Obviously it was tongue in cheek.Of course it has been said that Scotty is a negative racial stereotype before although I've never subscribed to that.I think the same was said about Chekov.I do know that Shatner didn't like him because he was better looking

Sure I've posted this before but this it what Scotsmen sound like in space

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khrpy4V0-U4

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
Old October 10th 09, 15:07   #195
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Yeah, the "no religion" thing struck me as Roddenberry playing wish-fulfillment. "I think religions are stupid, so I'll just have my rational human heroes be completely non-religious!" B5's take -- where religion causes its share of problems but also gives Delenn, G'Kar, and others such strength -- seemed a lot more realistic.
I don't know that much about Roddenberry but I don't see why we can't have a sci-fi series that ignores religion.I'm not one to say that it has no place in sci-fi but it doesn't need to be there.

A future world without religion is just a viable and realistic as one without money or even seatbelts for chairs despite people flying out of them every other week

John Smeaton 2007

Old October 11th 09, 00:10   #196
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Could we have SF without sex? Belief -- if not specifically religion -- is almost as fundamental.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th 09, 19:38   #197
B5_Obsessed
First One

Roddenberry saw a peaceful Utopian society of the future as one without Poverty, Hunger, Disease and probably Religion. Sadly, it does seem to be one the biggest barriers to world peace at the moment, don't it?

Of course, JMS, although also an athiest, has openly stated that Roddenberry's future was just a wee bit too evolved and for all that would be different in the future, a whole lot would still be the same. As a result Babylon 5 prominently featured P,H,D & R in thought provoking ways.

Last edited by B5_Obsessed; October 12th 09 at 19:41.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th 09, 20:44   #198
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
Roddenberry saw a peaceful Utopian society of the future as one without Poverty, Hunger, Disease and probably Religion. Sadly, it does seem to be one the biggest barriers to world peace at the moment, don't it?

Of course, JMS, although also an athiest, has openly stated that Roddenberry's future was just a wee bit too evolved and for all that would be different in the future, a whole lot would still be the same. As a result Babylon 5 prominently featured P,H,D & R in thought provoking ways.
But I think JMS actually nailed the real problem by highlighting one of our greatest assets... our ability to form communities. In truth, it's also one of our greatest weaknesses too. Why do I say this? Because we have a habit of forming cliques and when something radically different to the normality crafted by our clique enters it's orbit... we eradicate "the problem" using the tools of persecution, evasion or destruction.

It's played out not just in religion, but in the schoolyard, in social circles and steretyping of subcultures... even support of sports teams and TV shows.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote