B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Other TV-related forums > Non-B5 books, TV & films

Old January 18th 09, 07:18   #1
Recoil
First One

Rant Time: Over Marketing of Shitty Movies

Does this piss anyone else off? I swear to God if I see another "Paul Blart Mall Cop" commercial, billboard, web banner, sound bit, or viral marketing scheme I'm gonna snap. What the FUCK is with Hollywood these days? Do they know they are making such crap that we aren't going to watch, that they need to spend untold millions to annoy us?

This Paul Blart movie is one of the worst I've seen lately, but there have been others. Wanna know when they started marketing this piece of shit? Well other than your normal TV ads, I was watching the Lakers Game on Christmas Day. Kevin James and Adam Sandler had courtside seats. They spent almost 10 minutes interviewing these two about their two crappy movies instead of covering...I don't know...BASKETBALL. No joke. Sportscasters going to the courtside seats to interview them about their upcoming movies. And it wasn't because they were celeberities at a Basketball game. Mark Walhberg was sitting RIGHT NEXT TO THEM and they wouldn't even put the camera on him or mention he was there. They interveiwed these guys endlessly for their movies. I have no doubt at all the studios paid for their tickets, and then paid NBC to spend time interviewing them.

Then, when commericals for this movie run during football game commercial breaks, the commentators there talk about how they are looking forward to seeing it. Bullshit. They dont even try to sound like they care, but they are being paid to advertise for this POS too. Then you have actors on the networks like NBC announcing the upcoming movie in breaks between their shows.

WHY THIS MOVIE? WHY? What the fuck is so goddamn special about Paul Blart that the other dozens of crappy movies don't get all this attention?

And then you have "Marley & Me," The latest Owen Wilson schlock thats part romantic comedy, part old yeller. During the halftime show of one of the football games a few weeks ago the dog was in the studio, in front of the desk where all the commentators are. Thats right, the dog from the movie was there during halftime. Like ANYONE watching an NFL Halftime show who just wants to get the scores and stats gives a flying fuck about some new dog movie coming out. Once again, poor Jimmy Johnson had to pretend like he actually cares that this movie exists and give a little sound bit for the movie and the dog being there.

Product placement in TV shows was getting bad enough. Now we are getting these CRAPPY movies shoved down our throats no matter what we happen to be doing.

As you can tell, I'm getting pretty sick of it.
Old January 18th 09, 07:42   #2
Jade Jaguar
First One

Re: Rant Time: Over Marketing of Shitty Movies

I'd pay to see Owen Wilson play Old Yeller. Just to see him running around on all fours would be worth it!
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th 09, 12:17   #3
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

What I find especially annoying is .. when watching TV shows on the web, and being given the same damned add for the same bad movie in every single add break. This was "Paul Blart, Mall Cop" just recently. Wasn't going to watch it the first time, wasn't going to watch it the gazillionth time.

Sometimes when a movie bugs me like this, I check back on its revenues months later, and in many cases am satisfied to learn that it was a complete box office bomb.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th 09, 15:28   #4
Cell
Telepath

It all comes down to personal taste honestly. I became sick and tired of all the hype/adverts for The Dark Knight because I didn't see why such a bad movie needed to be hyped so much. But, at the end of the day even if I thought it sucked there are people who thought it was great, or who will like it. The same is true of Paul Blart, you may hate the idea of it, but there are people who will like it, and it's actually been getting good reviews.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th 09, 15:49   #5
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Yeah, there's a pretty significant buzz for Paul Blart among my students.

A lot of it, I think, has to do with which movies are being marketed. Adam Sandler and Owen Wilson and "Paul Blart," huh? They're pitching those movies at people with no attention span, people who talk about such things endlessly, people who make things go viral and become huge hits for no apparent reason: teenagers. Specifically pop culture-loving teenagers. You probably won't see Oscar-bait films being marketed in quite the same way, and you probably won't see the cute and clever indie-flicks marketed at all, because the teenagers who want to watch those actually have good taste and aren't quite so easily swayed... but the mass of teens who have been taught that thinking is hard and that instant gratification is their due, they're the target audience.

Such kids laugh at every fart joke they see, no matter how many times they've seen one. And they have no attention span. Of course the marketing has to pitch the movies to them every friggin' moment of every day!

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th 09, 20:27   #6
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell View Post
I became sick and tired of all the hype/adverts for The Dark Knight because I didn't see why such a bad movie needed to be hyped so much. {snip}
That question answers itself.
Old January 18th 09, 22:09   #7
Alluveal
Psi Cop

It's just mass-marketed cheeze whiz. I sit and watch a trailer and more often than not, I'll say, "someone was paid to write that movie. PAID. Paid a LOT OF MONEY to write a piece of crap film. Paid more than I'll ever see in 10 years." It blows my mind. But, I do have a few friends who will see some of these shit movies (cough: Mama Mia) and think "this is awesome, I can't wait to buy it on DVD!" Some people eat it up. It's the simplicity of it, I think. Some folks need Marley and Me to escape whereas folks like us, well, perhaps that is what draws us to science-fiction and fantasy.

The ads are there because some people actually want silliness sometimes. I know a lot of people who don't like anything too "dramatic" or "intense" or "thought-provoking." They pass right by the Drama aisle in the store and always go for the comedies.

To each their own. The only thing that annoys me (as stated above,) is that people are getting paid to crank out movies that utterly astound me in their lack of entertainment value. I could write a craptastic slapstick comedy with no humor and get paid the bucks, I guess. It's all formula. I guess I just don't want to attach my name to that kind of riff raff.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th 09, 00:28   #8
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Oi. Don't diss Mamma Mia.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th 09, 00:38   #9
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Dude... I'd rather watch the Dungeons&Dragons movie and Waterworld for the rest of eternity than sit through that again.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th 09, 03:17   #10
Jade Jaguar
First One

HEY! Waterworld was pretty good!
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote