B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 22nd 08, 16:58   #1
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Watchmen

Uber coolness. I know nothing about this graphic novel.

By the same director as "300."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4blSrZvPhU

Here is the IMDB entry: LINK HERE

Last edited by Alluveal; July 22nd 08 at 17:02.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd 08, 21:17   #2
Cell
Telepath

Re: Watchmen

The graphic novel is easily the greatest comic ever written, by one of the greatest comic writers of all time. It's well worth your time to check out.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 08, 04:48   #3
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I just finished rereading Watchmen; the movie looks visually very, very close, but there's so much that happens in the book! How on earth are they going to fit it all in? I know "Tales of the Black Frieghter" is going to buy it...

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 08, 10:08   #4
Cell
Telepath

Actually I believe they are going to release that as a mini-movie around the same time the movie proper is released, at least that's what Snyder was saying.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd 08, 15:14   #5
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Crazy. But the joy of "The Black Freighter" was beautifully it lined up with the stuff happening right then. Take "Fearful Symmetry," where we actually see Rorshach in the background out of his costume, before his secret identity is revealed, while the newspaper vendor says "We see every damned connection" and the "Black Frieghter" comments "His eyes, his cheecks seemed individually familiar... but I could not piece it together into a face I knew." Oh, and the newspaper in the panel reflects the symmetry running throughout that issue. That's pretty darn dense for a one inch by two inch panel... I just don't see how they can recreate that density. The story, probably; but the sheer artistry of it?

Of course, this is the guy who filmed "300" from Miller's book by basically recreating all the iconic panels in front of a green screen, so maybe.

The Generous Grasp
Old July 25th 08, 08:10   #6
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

That kind of nuance in the book is going to be tough to reproduce although if anyone could do it, Snyder could.

Alan Moore has recently voiced his doubts about the film, but he is a bit of a grumpy old man when it comes to Hollywood, I love the work but wish he would just chill out when it comes to other media. I remain catiously optimistic about this, despite the CGI overload in the trailer.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th 09, 19:24   #7
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Thread resurrection: a couple days ago Fox and Warner Bros. settled a deal to allow the movie to be released on time. March 6.

At 155 min -- and 190 for the director's cut -- I imagine a heck of a lot will get in (and the Black Freighter will be released with it on DVD, starring Gerard Butler). That's comforting. Especially as Snyder's saying he just geeked out on getting as much in as he could. And I don't care what Moore says, Rorshach needed to be filmed from Day 1.

The Generous Grasp
Old January 23rd 09, 10:44   #8
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Ending is different, half of it is missing and the rape scene is 'extended'. Not filled with hope about this really. Maybe Moore has a point.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
Old March 13th 09, 09:25   #9
Pobman
Ambassador

Watched this last night. I thought that it was as good a conversion to film as we are ever going to get. The ending being changed was OK by me as it was thematically the same and we still got Ozymandias telling them that he wouldn't tell them all about his masterplan if he thought they could affect it's outcome and that he'd set everything off earlier.
Pobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th 09, 10:00   #10
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Seeing it Saturday. Semi- hopeful.

- Charlie Brooker