B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old April 27th 09, 05:41   #231
Jade Jaguar
First One

Re: New Joss Whedon show

I don't think it is Alpha feeding info to Ballard. I think it is an agent of whoever instigated Ballard's FBI investigation of the Dollhouse. Even if I'm right about that, I agree that Alpha qualifies as a sort of 'remote mole.'
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 09, 02:07   #232
vacantlook

Yay. Great episode tonight, especially the end.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 09, 02:14   #233
G'Kar
Commander

Have to agree. Good to see Alan Tudyk in something good again.
There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams.
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 09, 04:33   #234
vacantlook

I want next week's episode now. And I want another season of this show.
Old May 2nd 09, 15:16   #235
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Tragically I got spoiled and knew Alan was playing Alpha, but the twist at the end I didn't see coming.

Question is, did Alpha and Echo/Caroline really love each other... or did Alpha just build a personality that wanted to be rescued?

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 09, 16:18   #236
vacantlook

Here's what I'm thinking at this point. Alpha and Echo sort of had a thing with each other, just more further along developed, like Victor and Sierra started to have in this season. But then, I really need to rewatch the episode to get a better sense of everything that happened there at the end of the episode.

Another thing that was being talked about in the discussion of the episode on Whedonesque was the imprint of Dominic in Victor calling out for Whiskey. There's no way he's referencing liquor since Whiskey would be the name of a Doll since all the Dolls are named after the phonetic alphabet and Whiskey is W. So the question is who is Whiskey; there were a number of people suspecting that it's Amy Acker's character; they were suspecting that when she was scarred by Alpha in his escape way back when, that they decided they couldn't use her for engagements so they programmed her to be a doctor and serve in-house. It would interestingly fit with her having said in a previous episode that she hasn't left the Dollhouse in a long time. It would also fit with Alpha asking her in last night's episode if she had always wanted to be a doctor, and she said yes, and he said she was wrong (or however he phrased it).
Old May 2nd 09, 18:30   #237
Cell
Telepath

Pretty disappointing, mainly because the set-up was laughable. Either Ballard is a moron, or the writers think the audience are idiots. So, a guy who believes the dollhouse will kill him follows Ballard into the dollhouse (the key there is follows because Ballard always takes the lead therefore you never get the sense that he is being forced into the dollhouse) because he's afraid Ballard will report his weed farm? So, he chooses possible death over a limited amount of jail time, and we as the audience are supposed to buy this and believe that Ballard bought this as well. Then you have the moments when Alpha was by himself with no one around and he was still acting like the fake character he created for Ballard, unless they make that a trait of Alpha's it was pretty stupid writing.

So yeah, there were moments that could have been great and an episode that could have been great, but because of the laughable set-up the episode ends up predictably mediocre. As sad as it is for me to say this, at this point if Dollhouse returns for a second season I don't know if I'll be along for the ride, it's just not worth it.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 09, 21:13   #238
vacantlook

Cell, every week your whole reaction seems to be in finding what you see as fault in the show. Why bother waiting until a possible second season to stop watching since you don't seem to get any enjoyment out of the show now?

The Dollhouse designer persona that Alpha was using expressed fear that the Dollhouse would have him killed, yes, but he also eventually expressed fear (as fake as it might have been given that he was playing Ballard) that Ballard would kill him too when Ballard pulled out his gun in the apartment of weed. Plus, the persona Alpha was playing was someone who's hyper-anxious; if you've never dealt with a person in real life that uncontrollably experiences hyper-anxiety, then it might seem stupid to you, but it made sense to me, even if scripted a bit for comical effect. Hyper-anxious people can be easily intimidated. Plus, Alpha has a lot of really weird shit floating around in his head thanks to the whole composite event that made him what he is; I wouldn't be surprised if the high-anxiety bit wasn't completely faked but part of one of Alpha's past imprints coming out amongst all the crazy floating around in his head.

Ballard's shown himself to be impulsive plenty before now, so it doesn't seem any different to me now that he's become little more than his obsession for getting Caroline out of the Dollhouse. That obsession easily could be making him not thinking everything though as thoroughly as someone else might would.
Old May 2nd 09, 21:13   #239
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Another thing that was being talked about in the discussion of the episode on Whedonesque was the imprint of Dominic in Victor calling out for Whiskey. There's no way he's referencing liquor since Whiskey would be the name of a Doll since all the Dolls are named after the phonetic alphabet and Whiskey is W. So the question is who is Whiskey; there were a number of people suspecting that it's Amy Acker's character; they were suspecting that when she was scarred by Alpha in his escape way back when, that they decided they couldn't use her for engagements so they programmed her to be a doctor and serve in-house. It would interestingly fit with her having said in a previous episode that she hasn't left the Dollhouse in a long time. It would also fit with Alpha asking her in last night's episode if she had always wanted to be a doctor, and she said yes, and he said she was wrong (or however he phrased it).
Hah, I caught those tidbits too.

Cell, have you ever wondered if you're in the wrong line of work? You keep watching things you don't like...

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 09, 21:33   #240
Jade Jaguar
First One

Did no one else catch when Ballard more or less said HE was a doll? It was when he saw Victor, who he said he had known his whole life, which struck me as rather strange.

What struck me as odd about Ballard and Alpha-as-enviromental-engineer, was first, that Ballard took him with him, as he was in such a state as he seemed likely to give them away. Second, when Alpha dove in to his work on the computer, to disable things, with such zeal, it seemed out of character for the reluctant enviromental designer, so it was then I figured he was really Alpha. Of course, when he said he was shutting off the oxygen, that left no doubt.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote