B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 7th 09, 15:51   #551
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Re: What are you watching now?

The Man Who Knew Too Much - I haven't seen the original, but, when Hitchcock remade it with Doris Day and Jimmy Stewart, I thought it was pretty good (Of course, I don't recall having seen a Jimmy Stewart movie I didn't enjoy). TCM Robert Osbourne (Or maybe it was Ben Mancewicz) said the remake is superior to the original, and Hitchcock went back and remade it because he wasn't satisfied with the original.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th 09, 16:10   #552
valen_sinclair
Lurker

Top Gear.....as always at this time of day lol.
Old January 7th 09, 17:35   #553
Cell
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
The Man Who Knew Too Much - I haven't seen the original, but, when Hitchcock remade it with Doris Day and Jimmy Stewart, I thought it was pretty good (Of course, I don't recall having seen a Jimmy Stewart movie I didn't enjoy). TCM Robert Osbourne (Or maybe it was Ben Mancewicz) said the remake is superior to the original, and Hitchcock went back and remade it because he wasn't satisfied with the original.
I've only seen the original, I need to see the remake for comparisons sake, and because it's Hitchcock and I love Stewart.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th 09, 18:57   #554
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Currently watching Birds of Prey. Not the best series in the world, but, it's a shame it ended before it's time, it's not bad, and the characters are pretty good. I'd say the 11 episodes I've watched so far are more coherent that S2 of Heroes.

Also, finally watched To Sir with Love and really enjoyed it. The kids aren't as big of monsters as in current day versions of the same theme, but, quite true to life, and Poitier is riveting.

Watched The Children's Hour too over the weekend, and it's a very sad dramatic movie. Frightening seeing how taboo Homosexuality was just a half century ago.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th 09, 21:40   #555
Cell
Telepath

I really liked Birds Of Prey, pity it was cut so short. I need to get the DVDs some day though.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Old January 10th 09, 13:27   #556
valen_sinclair
Lurker

gillette soccer saturaday as usual on a saturaday afternoon COME ON WOLVES!
Old January 11th 09, 02:12   #557
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
I like the original MUCH better. I like Jimmy Stewart, Vertigo is amazing, but the remake of TMWKTM is just lame. Not nearly as suspenseful. It doesn't help that I don't Like Doris Day either.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 09, 12:28   #558
Cell
Telepath

What's new,

Fiddler On The Roof (1971)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress....the-roof-1971/

Animal House (1978)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress....al-house-1978/

Ben-Hur (1959)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress....-ben-hur-1959/

Casablanca (1942)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress....sablanca-1942/

The Maltese Falcon (1941)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress....e-falcon-1941/

High Sierra (1941)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress....h-sierra-1941/

Lawrence Of Arabia (1962)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress....f-arabia-1962/

Poltergeist (1982)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress....tergeist-1982/

Wo Hu Cang Long (2000)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress....ang-long-2000/

The English Patient (1996)
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress....-patient-1996/

As usual, read if you like.
Old January 13th 09, 16:22   #559
GKarsEye
First One

Been catching up with comic book movies.

Batman: The Dark Knight

Entertaining, but the hype for it was so great that it was bound to disappoint in some ways. Unlike some fans, I'm of the school of thought that simply cannot take a comic book movie seriously and only want to see beautiful people kicking ass and doing eye-pleasing exciting and sometimes funny things. As much as I like the previous Batman, it's a bit silly to me how serious this new version of Batman is. Ok, "dark" is in now, I get it, but all this moralizing, all this brooding- stop it. It's a bat-man- by definition, impossible to be anything but silly fun.

That said, the movie was fast-paced and certainly had its fare-share of thrills. I was worried at the 2.5 hr length, but it went along at such a pace that it didn't feel as torturous as long movies usually do (still, I rarely see the need for non-history based movies to ever be more than 2 hrs, especially ones about super-heroes).

Favorite sequence: Batman on motorcycle flipping Joker's truck over using Luke Skywalker's rope trick from Empire.

Other things I liked: I am so smitten with Maggie Gyllenhaal that half the movie could've been just her walking around and I'd be happy. But to be objective, her generally understated presence doesn't really fit in the backdrop of such larger-than-life characters and backgrounds.

Yes I liked Ledger's Joker, who didn't. But at the same time, the talk about it was way over-blown: for pete's sake, people, we're not talking about Brando in On the Waterfront here, we're talking about crazy killer clown guy.

Morgan Freeman and Michael Cain are... well, Morgan Freeman and Michael Cain. They just show up and every movie is better.

Things I didn't like:
Christian Bale's Batman voice. It just sounds silly.
And Batman/Bruce Wayne feels like such a diminished character in this overly complicated and busy sequel that it almost feels like a waste of effort by one of my favorite actors.

Joker's omnipotent plotting. I can suspend disbelief with the best of them, but the Joker's endless supply of munitions, wealth and personnel, absurd Rube Goldberg-like setups and constantly evolving and changing goals were reminiscent of post-season 1 "24" (a reason I stopped watching that show).

Using every cell phone in the city as a sonar spying network. Wha? Um... no. No. Ridiculous. Graphics looked cool though.

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army

The immensely entertaining sequel to the most underrated comic book movie franchise ever. Unlike the pretentiousness of Nolan's Batman, Hellboy is an unabashed, kid-friendly, FUN (remember when comic-books were fun?) spectacle of entertainment.

The first movie delivered the goods but my interest in the 2nd was due to the direction of the guy that made Pan's Labyrinth. While I wasn't as smitten with that film as some, it's hard not to appreciate the guy's vision when it comes to creating CGI monsters, and I wanted to see how that would play in a mainstream Hollywood action flick. And I love it! Every scene in this movie is filled with some new odd-ball creature. Trolls, elves, demons, robot soldier things, some angle/demon dude with eyes in its wings, Wink, little antenna-headed three handed messenger dealies... heck, there's even a troll market, ie, "place to put all the monsters we came up with but didn't fit in the rest of the story." Good stuff.

I think there was some sort of lame-ass plot or something, too, can't remember, but it's not really important here.

Iron Man

You know who's good? Robert Downy, Jr. He's the only comic book movie guy I've seen since Christopher Reeve that actually was able to convey the spirit of what he's going through. I know many felt that way about Spiderman, but I just couldn't get into that series, as much as I enjoyed the character as a kid. When Downy's Tony Spark suits up, there's a sense of joy and adventure with it that carries the whole movie.

Tony Stark is the complete opposite of Bale's Bruce Wayne. Where the latter feels this emo-angst burden of being a gorgeous playboy billionaire superhero, Spark acts that role the way it should be- with the sense that being a gorgeous playboy billionaire superhero would actually be fun!

Jeff Bridges was a nice bonus. And is it me or does Terence Howard always look like he's about to cry in every movie no matter what he's doing?

Iron Man is probably my favorite comic book movie since Superman.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th 09, 01:58   #560
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Iron Man was so awesome. That is all.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote