• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Trekkies have way too much money.

hypatia

Regular
:eek:

$576,000 for a model of the Enterprise

NEW YORK - Star Fleet Capt. Jean-Luc Picard commanded it. Now some Trekkie owns it.

A model of the Starship Enterprise used in the pilot and title sequences of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" sold for $576,000 Saturday at an auction of costumes, sets and props from 40 years of the "Star Trek" sci-fi franchise.

snipping bits

More than 1,000 items from the archives of CBS Paramount Television Studios went on the block over three days at Christie's auction house, and by early afternoon on Saturday fans of the series had forked over more than $4.9 million for set furniture, pointy Vulcan ears and other props.

Other top sellers on Saturday's action included a replica of Capt. James T. Kirk's command chair from the bridge of the Enterprise-A on the original "Star Trek" series.

The painted wood chair was only a re-creation for a 1996 episode of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" that mixed action from that newer series with old footage, but it still sold for $62,400.

Flip!

Just imagine what good you could achieve with that kind of money. I'm not against nostalgia per se but what's wrong with a little bit of moderation?

Maybe that WAS moderation for whoever bought them.

Worrying thought!

Didn't somebody recently buy Shatner's kidney stone? Still in that instance at least the money went to charity!

Capt. James T. Kirk's command chair from the bridge of the Enterprise-A on the original "Star Trek" series.

To quote Scotty: "NCC-1701. No bloody A,B,C or D"

Actually, not Capt. Kirk's chair from the original series, but an incredible simulation:

The painted wood chair was only a re-creation for a 1996 episode of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" that mixed action from that newer series with old footage, but it still sold for $62,400.

Regards,

Joe

Yeah, I read that part. I was just cutting down to where they said "Enterprise A from original series".

On the Shatner roast, they said the original chair belonged to the "Science Fiction Hall of Fame Museum", or something to that effect.

From what I recall of the episode, Avery Brooks was viewed over the arm of the chair and mixed with Kirk footage from "Mirror Mirror". A Kirk stand-in may have sat in the chair, but I'm not even sure of that.

Yeah, I read that part. I was just cutting down to where they said "Enterprise A from original series".

On the Shatner roast, they said the original chair belonged to the "Science Fiction Hall of Fame Museum", or something to that effect.

From what I recall of the episode, Avery Brooks was viewed over the arm of the chair and mixed with Kirk footage from "Mirror Mirror". A Kirk stand-in may have sat in the chair, but I'm not even sure of that.

"Mirror, Mirror"? The only episode they could be talking about is the Tribble episode. "Trials and Tribbleations" or something like that. It's probably from the scene when Sisko is getting Capt. Kirk's autograph. :D

Hey, even one of the time cops said "I'd probably have done the same thing". :LOL: ;)

"Mirror, Mirror"? The only episode they could be talking about is the Tribble episode. "Trials and Tribbleations" or something like that. It's probably from the scene when Sisko is getting Capt. Kirk's autograph. :D
Yeah, but the footage for the Sisko-getting-signature bit could have been culled from anywhere in the TOS series. I have no idea where it actually came from. It could have been the original "Mirror, Mirror", I guess.

Yeah, but the footage for the Sisko-getting-signature bit could have been culled from anywhere in the TOS series. I have no idea where it actually came from. It could have been the original "Mirror, Mirror", I guess.

The clip was from the end of "Mirror, Mirror" when James Kirk first meets Lt. Marlena Moreau, the counterpart of "The Captain's Woman" from the other universe.

STMirror156.jpg

That's the problem with trying to Gumpify old Trek episodes. We can spot the source material a mile away. And the same would be true if the tried to pull it with G'Kar in the Lost Tales

:LOL:

Oh, that's amazing. You spotted the scene they used. :D

I guess being so young and having seen the episodes so many times, you've memorized these scenes? That's just uncanny.

Thanks. :)

I'm amazed it's still remembered. :)

Of course, I don't know how recently some fans have rewatched the entire series, either. ;)

I'm amazed it's still remembered. :)

Of course, I don't know how recently some fans have rewatched the entire series, either. ;)

Oh, it had been awhile. But I watched that show through most of my childhood. I can probably quote 95% of all dialogue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back