• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The mighty GKarsEye watches Battlestar Galactica

Re: The mighty GKarsEye watches Battlestar Galacti

Quick miniseries plot quesiton: was "6" (heh) given a new body after hers was destroyed, thus appearing in the last scene with the other human-like Cylons and just projecting her image to Baltar, or is she just in Baltar's brain and has no real body yet?

She said she would be transferred to a new body, but I am not sure if we know for a fact when it actually happened.

She is definitely seen by more people than just Baltar in the series proper, so, she definitely does get a body.

The Cylons have a finite number of human / cyborg / whatever "models". There are definitely multiple copies of each "model" or "person" at any given time. Not all copies of the same madel have all of the same knowledge etc., although they do appear to have similar tendancies / baseline personalities. Whether the particular exact Cylon soul (or whatever you want to call it for them) that was with Baltar before the attack has been downloaded into another physical instance, or is just residing in Baltar's mind, is (I believe) an open question.

I believe there is a shared Cylon database.

SPOILERS>>>>>>>>

Didn't the #6 copy that Starbuck killed on Cobol call her by name? The only way she could know would be either from Baltar's "imaginary" #6 (present at the poker game, etc) or from Boomer or the other Cylon prisoner she interrogated before he got spaced by the President.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cylons are in frequent, if not constant, contact with the rest of their race via some undetectable bandwith.

Was this 4 episodes with no sex?

I don't think that there is a "shared database" in the sense of them being something approaching a hive mind.

Space

before

discussion

based

on

information

from

the

series

I believe that they have individuality; information and thoughts not shared until they "die" and are downloaded to another body. However, that downloading does imply the ability to communicate that hasn't been detected by the humans. This communication is almost certainly two way. It would also be how Boomer has gotten her orders from the Cylons.

The odds are that this data stream can cantain images that have been seen by the Cylon that is sending. Starbuck is a pretty prominent member of the fleet and of the Galactica's crew. She has been seen by multiple Cylons, including Galactica Boomer and the guy that they left on that station at the end of the mini. I don't find it odd at all that she would be known on sight by many / most / all of the human form cylons; and I don't think that it requires a fully shared memory among all cylons.

I also think that it is an open question as to the degree to which Baltar's mental #6 can send / receive. It does appear that she has access to more recent information; but does she require proximity to some physical transmitter/receiver? I'm not sure.

Some spoilers from the series in reply to spoilers from the series posted above.

S

p

o

i

l

e

r

S

p

a

c

e

She has been seen by multiple Cylons, including Galactica Boomer and the guy that they left on that station at the end of the mini.

Starbuck also had a rather upclose encounter with Leoban, the Cylon that she interrogated before Rosylin had him vacuumed into space.

S

p

a

c

e

Over.

If I'm the only person who hasn't seen the series reading this thread, no spoiler warnings necessary on account of me, I really don't care.

I'm reading it, and I haven't seen the series, and I do care. But I could stop reading it if people don't want to bother.

I've seen the series, but not the miniseries. This may not be the right place for this post, but I will leave out spoilers.

First of all, I think it's a great show. As good as Babylon 5? I'll tell you when it's over. I've seen too many promising shows crash and burn -- Sliders and Earth: Final Conflict come to mind.

I read a very negative review of the show by some Charles McGrew. A lot of what he says sounds like nitpicking. Mistakes in terminology? It didn't ruin B5. Does the chief of the viper maintenance crew do things others would do in the real world? Welcome to television with a limited cast and budget.

Still, he has some valid points. People acting stupid for the sake of the plot is a writing flaw. And the way Baltar is portrayed, it stretches credulity to the breaking point to believe he is given a position of responsibility.

A quick skim of that review reveals things that are just silly:

In the midst of Adama's here's-what's-going-on speech, he makes the first reference to another Battlestar - "Atlantia" (one of the OG Battlestars). But earlier, this Galactica was said to be the last of its kind still in service (and considering what they were about to do to this Galactica, the others are probably all scrapped, or long since turned into shopping malls, or something.) Either the Galactica is the last one, or it isn't (later, Adama mentions that *30* Battlestars have been destroyed already during the Cylons attack.) Such a glaring lack of continuity is just sloppy. (Or if there is another ship that's not a battlestar, but is CALLED a battlestar, you jolly well better say so. They don't, so we are left to wonder what in the heck is really going on. Bad writing again...)

It was my impression that the Galactica was the last battlestar of its kind, not the last battlestar. Specifically, that it was the only one without integrated computers and other fancy doo-dads. This plot point ia crucial because it is precisely why it would end up in command of the fleet.

Also the complaint that using call names for pilots is a rip-off of Top Gun. Don't real pilots use them, too?

I will agree about the baby killing. I hate it whan movies and shows make it looks like killing children is somehow much worse than killing innocent adults.

The way I saw the list of other Battlestars in the fleet to be in relation to the Galactica of a similar situation to what we see of the Vipers. The squadron of Vipers that were flying with Boomer that got taken out of by Cylons were a much newer model than the Vipers Starbuck later flew. I figured the same thing was up with the Battlestars. The Galactica was old, like the Viper MarkII. There were other Battlestars, more modern and stuff. And we name ships the same name of past ships, so even if there was an old like-Galactica Battlestar called Atlantia, the one referenced as the one that Admiral Nigala was taking command of the fleet on was probably a newer one that just had the same name.

I read a very negative review of the show by some Charles McGrew.

That "review" is bullshit, obsessing over trivialities and poorly written.

Still, he has some valid points. People acting stupid for the sake of the plot is a writing flaw. And the way Baltar is portrayed, it stretches credulity to the breaking point to believe he is given a position of responsibility.

Not really. First, there's less than 50,000 people left, so it's a matter of going with who you have available. Everyone knows Baltar is odd, but he's also an expert in computers and the closest the Colonials have to an expert on Cylons. That makes him valuable.

And it's not just Baltar. If you'd seen the mini, you'd know Galactica was about to be decomissioned and turned into a museum. So even before the Cylon attack she was undermanned and not crewed by the best and brightest the Colonial fleet had to offer.

this show rocks, i just got the S1 DVD's for my birthday. It improves upon the mini no end, mainly by toning down on the sex and building up Apollo's character!

For me, it may well turn out to be better than B5...

Yes, military pilots do have call signs....have for quite a long while now. As for the rest of that review, dude just seems way too angry and nerdish about things in general. Not that being a nerd is bad. Hell, then I would hate myself. There are limits, though........

I bought BestBuy's little BSG s1 set on dvd and promptly watched it. I saw the miniseries when it first aired, so I don't remember a great deal about it. But I can tell you, this show is very much worth watching. I reckon i'll have to wait for S2 to be released on dvd or re-run to see it though. I wish I had seen S1 as it aired now. Eh well.

I won't ruin it for the (few) others who haven't seen it, but man, a certain moment in the season had me involuntarily repeating "Oh, fuck!" several times, I was just that darned shocked and affected by it.

I read a very negative review of the show by some Charles McGrew.

That "review" is bullshit, obsessing over trivialities and poorly written.

Not really. First, there's less than 50,000 people left, so it's a matter of going with who you have available. Everyone knows Baltar is odd, but he's also an expert in computers and the closest the Colonials have to an expert on Cylons. That makes him valuable.

And it's not just Baltar. If you'd seen the mini, you'd know Galactica was about to be decomissioned and turned into a museum. So even before the Cylon attack she was undermanned and not crewed by the best and brightest the Colonial fleet had to offer.

I found the line about not being able to use one of the launch bay/hangars because it was a gift shop, highly amusing! :D

Yeah, that was great. Since you go in knowing that the ship's going to be important, it's fascinating watching them dig themselves out of the museum-piece hole.

I'l stick with the spoiler warning, just in case...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

I also think that it is an open question as to the degree to which Baltar's mental #6 can send / receive. It does appear that she has access to more recent information; but does she require proximity to some physical transmitter/receiver? I'm not sure.

I thought the Cylons were definitely in touch with each other in some way, even with the 'mental' 6 that haunts Baltar. The way 6 attacks Starbuck when they meet on Caprica is intensely personal. To me, It implied jealousy of Starbuck's fling with Baltar. Which also means that Cylons have strong emotions.

My belief is that they aren't in touch until a body is destroyed and it's consciousness is transferred to another body. As for Six's knowledge, remember that a Six got on and off Galactica in "Six Degrees".

BSG Was awesome again tonight. Their version of "...and now for a word" was pretty well done. This show is still taking care of business.

SPOILERS

I really liked how they showed the crew, especially the end video at the end. I'm glad that they took the time to show the news reporter changing her mind about the fleet and how her "opinion" of them changed. I think it started off on hostile and edgy terms and everyones impression at the end of it was fantastic --- especially Adamas. I'm also glad she didnt show the cut footage --- which I thought she was going to do. In fact, that was my favorite part of the show. When she didn't end up showing the cut footage I was touched at how she was so moved by the crew and their heroic that she didnt want to disrupt the fleet. Then...we come to the twist with her being a Cylon. Wasn't expected, but it sure explains why she wanted to have that cut footage tucked away. She didnt really care about fleet morale at all, she was just getting information off the ship. I love how this show keeps mixing things up.

And this episode was after the Athena's Tomb episode with Adama and the President making amends. Two GREAT episodes back to back. This really is my favorites show on TV and it just doesn't disappoint.

Back