• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Signs And Portents

Favorite recurring character: Season 2

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
which in my opinion was refering to the possible future in "War Without End 1", showing a Shadow fleet destroying B5

According to the original outline in vol.15 of the scriptbooks, the prophecy refers to Delenn and Sinclair leaving in a shuttle while the Minbari warrior caste attacks and destroys B5.

I like the episode for many reasons. In terms of the whole battle with the raiders, it was nice to see someone using some strategy for a change rather than just screaming "Fire phasers!"

The responses of G'Kar and Londo to Morden's question are great, though it would have been interesting if Delenn had answered the question too.

The elevator scene with G'Kar and Londo also merits a nod :)

I loved this ep. It has to be A for me. It was the ep that really blew me out of my seat. It was (for me) the best ep so far in the series, and an early display of what the show would accomplish. The dialogue, the plot, the teasers, all was superb. Even the humor...*kiss my pouch* :D

I would love to have a copy of the Eye. Anyone know if one was produced? I don`t know how much merchandising was done for this show.

Having been on shows that were written around the merchandise, JMS very much avoided merchandising for quite a while. To the best of my knowledge, nothing like the Eye was ever produced. Patches, some pins...that was about it as far as reproducing props.

Jan

This episode is pivotal to B5. It sets the stage for future developments like no other story in the first season. So many significant things happen, it's so well conceived and written and acted and directed.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is Delenn "playing" with those coloured glass pieces. Only much later do we find out the significance of that structure - an important arc detail that isn't even mentioned, only shown without comment. Well done - signs and portents indeed!

It's interesting to listen to Londo & G'Kar's answers again after seeing the Movements of Fire and Shadow/2-parter in season five.

This episode is pivotal to B5. It sets the stage for future developments like no other story in the first season. So many significant things happen, it's so well conceived and written and acted and directed.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is Delenn "playing" with those coloured glass pieces. Only much later do we find out the significance of that structure - an important arc detail that isn't even mentioned, only shown without comment. Well done - signs and portents indeed!

If I remember rightly, you see Delenn working with those as early as "Soul Hunter"

which in my opinion was refering to the possible future in "War Without End 1", showing a Shadow fleet destroying B5

According to the original outline in vol.15 of the scriptbooks, the prophecy refers to Delenn and Sinclair leaving in a shuttle while the Minbari warrior caste attacks and destroys B5.
Interesting. I never read this. What would the backstory have been for that to have occurred and at what point in the series? I always understood that it was from the shadows attacking like the previous poster wrote.

Interesting. I never read this. What would the backstory have been for that to have occurred and at what point in the series? I always understood that it was from the shadows attacking like the previous poster wrote.

Babylon 5 would have been destroyed at the end of the series, but instead of being decomissioned as in the finished product it was going to be destroyed by the Minbari, who were being led by the Warrior Caste with the Grey Council having been overthrown. They were trying to stop the Minbari's big prophecy, which the Warrior Caste interpreted to mean the end of the Minbari race (whereas the Religious Caste interpreted it to be the renewal of their race). Part of that prophecy involved Delenn and Sinclair having had a child together. The Minbari would destroy the station in an effort to kill their child before he could grow up and bring about the believed destruction of the Minbari race. Sinclair, Delenn, and their child would escape the destruction of the station on a shuttle.

That then would have been the set up for a spinoff that would involve Sinclair going back in time, grabbing Babylon 4, bringing it forward in time to use in the war against the Shadows (in the original outline, the Shadows wouldn't have been defeated during the five years of Babylon 5) and Earth would defeat the Minbari.

The outline says the the Warrior Caste was responsible for the station's destruction. But also the outline states that all the races were after them, so perhaps they had all come to Babylon 5 to destroy it. The Narns end up being one of the few allies.

Series Brief/season five said:
the return of G'Kar, who reveals Londo's complicity and the Shadowmen intervention
the Minbari military caste...stage a coup and take control from the Grey Council.
Londo assumes control of Babylon 5's sector of space in the name of the Centauri Republic.
a Vorlon ship...is destroyed by the Shadowmen with Londo's help...Earth is blamed.
Season Five ends with an assault on, and the destruction of Babylon 5 by the Minbari.
[Sinclair and Delenn] are now wanted by everyone in the galaxy, it would seem; by Earth...by the ruling Minbari warrior caste...to some extent by Londo and the Centauri...and by the Vorlons...

Series Brief/Babylon Prime said:
Sinclair, Delenn, their infant, Garibaldi, and a Narn...make their way to a meeting with the Grey Council.

Last edited:
Hmm. I'm glad it didn't go that route. I had always thought that if O'hare had stayed, that the end of the series would've been the War Without End eps, thus closing his character arc at the end.

I understand from what you wrote, Vacantlook, why the Minbari warrior caste went after them. I wonder what would have occurred to cause the rest of the civs to be after them.
Joe, I think you're idea that they were all there to destroy B5 is right on. For the actual ending when B5 was decommisioned, ships from all the races were there to see it. So, JMS probably kept that part in the actual ending.

Thanks for the insight.

Hmm. I'm glad it didn't go that route. I had always thought that if O'hare had stayed, that the end of the series would've been the War Without End eps, thus closing his character arc at the end.

I understand from what you wrote, Vacantlook, why the Minbari warrior caste went after them. I wonder what would have occurred to cause the rest of the civs to be after them.
Joe, I think you're idea that they were all there to destroy B5 is right on. For the actual ending when B5 was decommisioned, ships from all the races were there to see it. So, JMS probably kept that part in the actual ending.

Thanks for the insight.

I agree that if Sinclair had remained the final episodes would have been WWE. It's amazing to see how the original story arc evolved particularly regarding actors leaving the show. I did however feel that some of the transition from Sinclair to Sheridan was a bit awkward, Sheridan taking on some of the arc clearly meant for Sinclair (both had wives involved in exploration/romantic involvement with Delenn). The same for Lyta and Talia (the connection with the Vorlons for example).

I had always thought that if O'hare had stayed, that the end of the series would've been the War Without End eps, thus closing his character arc at the end.

I agree that if Sinclair had remained the final episodes would have been WWE.
According to the outline, the Babylon 4 trip would have been the beginning of the sequel series, not the end of the Babylon 5 story. Sinclair was there to the end of the sequel as well.

Sheridan taking on some of the arc clearly meant for Sinclair (both had wives involved in exploration/romantic involvement with Delenn).
On the Anna/Catherine both being explorers thing, I think it more likely Carolyn Sykes -> Catherine Sakai -> Carolyn Sanderson. According to the outline, Sakai was to have her memory erased in season three, which would have happened if she was taken aboard one of the Shadow ships. Catherine being on board the Icarus would not have made sense since Morden and the Shadows were already around in "Signs and Portents" and Sakai certainly doesn't seem to be under Shadow influence during the first season.

I had always thought that if O'hare had stayed, that the end of the series would've been the War Without End eps, thus closing his character arc at the end.

jms's original plan would've had the stealing of B4 from the past be the beginning of a spinoff series, and instead of B4 being taken into the past it would've gone into the future to be used as a moving (B4 had engines) base after B5's destruction. In that original plan, Sinclair never was Valen; according that original outline jms wrote, that spinoff series would have ended with Sinclair living out the rest of his life alone on some planet somewhere fishing.

One of the things I liked about the outline was that it seemed that Delenn remained more alien than we saw in the actual series.

Wow, its amazing how, even with a well-outlined story, how major changes can take place, with actors leaving, special effects team changes, all kinds of influences... is that outline here on the website, or do you have links to it you can post?

No, it was included in the 15th volume of the B5 scriptbooks, given to those who'd bought the entire 14-volume set. There's a synopsis around someplace but I don't know where.

Jan

I don't get the title of the is poll. I'm assuming it means rating the episode. What does it mean by "favorite recurring character?" :confused:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back