• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

No Country For Old Men (2007)
--A tremendous character study mixed in with a lot of other elements.

Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
--Quirky, heartfelt movie that delivered in laughs and in real moments.

How The West Was Won (1962)
--I wanted to love this, but it was too disjointed and never allowed you to connect with any of the characters.

30 Days Of Night (2007)
--A cool concept, but it was never ya know, completely dark, the ending was crap, and the vampires were all bite and no fear or drama inducing.

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)
--The final, hopefully, raping of a great video game series. The thing about characters in zombie movies is that you have to make me care for them, or not have them be Ashanti, or not be super-powered people that aren't going to lose, that ruins all the suspense and intrigue.

Ooo! No Country for Old Men is sitting on my table from Netflix, waiting to be watched. So is 3:10 to Yuma.

Been A Coen brothers fan since Blood Simple.

Ooo! No Country for Old Men is sitting on my table from Netflix, waiting to be watched. So is 3:10 to Yuma.

Been A Coen brothers fan since Blood Simple.

I'm kind of indifferent to the Coen Brothers actually. It's not that they're bad, but they never grab me to go and see their films. When I eventually do on DVD or on cable I love what I see, but I usually take my time getting around to see them. So far I've only seen No Country For Old Men and The Big Lebowski and I'm about to watch O Brother Where Art Thou? It's funny that this is the first time I'm watching the movie as I've owned the soundtrack since it was released, it's tremendous, every track is great and they do a great job of paying homage to classic medicine show type standards that I love.

Being a huge western fan I've meant to check out 3:10 To Yuma as well as The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford but I haven't gotten around to either.

I love the Coen Bros. They certainly do have a unique style, so it either works for you or it doesn't, and I don't even like every single thing they do, but they have made some of my favorite movies, including No Country.

Cell, you haven't seen Fargo? Oh man, that should go on the top of your queue. Their best flick, IMO.
Their other top movies are Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski, Miller's Crossing, and The Man Who Wasn't There (black and white with Billy Bob Thorton and a very young Scarlett Johanssen). Lesser, but still fun movies are Barton Fink, O Brother, and Blood Simple. The only ones I wasn't crazy about were the Ladykillers remake and that one with Catherine Zeta-Jones, though they're still entertaining.

The new one, Burn After Reading, seems, according to reviews, to be in the "lesser" category, which is expected after having made one of their best before that.

I like the Coen Bros. quite a bit. I saw Blood Simple when it first hit the theaters, and it is still a favorite. I agree with GKE that Ladykillers, and Intolerable Cruelty are lesser efforts, and I think they just shouldn't have made Ladykillers, as the original is pretty much unsurpassable. GKE left out The Hudsucker Proxy, which is another fine film.

I've been on a bit of a good movie spree,

Groundhog Day (1993) ****
--A tremendous movie, it's funny, witty, has great acting and pacing and features a truly upbeat ending without being too sappy. Remember folks he's in love with her but she never once says she's in love with him.

The Terminator (1984) ***1/2
--Everything still holds up about this film, the story, the effects, the intensity, everything. As great as this is it's quite amazing that the sequel completely blows it away.

Se7en (1995) ***1/2
--The envy killing seemed a bit forced and rushed, but other than that this was a damn near perfect mood movie. It had atmosphere, tension, and foreboding nature galore and I loved it.

12 Monkeys (1995) ***1/2
--While I was never a fan of Gilliam's Brazil, I have always been enamored with this picture. It really makes you think, and was part of a killer one-two punch along with Se7en for Brad Pitt, and is one of the best movies ever when it comes to just how differently dreams can be interpreted.

L.A. Confidential (1997) ***1/2
--Other than the fact that Basinger's character was useless and that at no point in this movie did she do anything worthy of any note, let alone an Oscar, this was a fantastic yarn. This was my first exposure to Guy Pearce, and he was amazing, as was the erst of the cast, but truly the scene stealer was Kevin Spacey doing his best Dean Martin as a cop impression.

I just ordered some cheap favorites from Amazon, Mulholland Drive, the original The Italian Job, starring Michael Caine, and Jacob's Ladder. I also ordered Popeye 1938 - 1940. I already have the earlier Popeye boxed set. These should arrive in a couple of days, as will my new Oppo 980h DVD player.

I'm still on Degrassi but also starting season 4 of Medium and just watched the first disc of Extras. Now that we have cancelled our satellite I'm going to have to up our Netflix so I have more to watch. :)

Yeah Stardust was excellent. One extremely minor quibble with the review, is that I reckon Stardust the novel preceded the graphic novelization. Could be wrong though.

Yeah Stardust was excellent. One extremely minor quibble with the review, is that I reckon Stardust the novel preceded the graphic novelization. Could be wrong though.

Stardust the novel was published as an illustrated novel. As far as I'm aware there was never an actual comic book published about Stardust, only the illustrated novel. Good catch there, don't know why I used comic book, when I should have used illustrated novel.

No, I meant that I think there was a non illustrated version first.

There was a Stardust novel published in 1990, but that was a crime drama in the Spencer series by Robert P. Parker, that's the only other Stardust novel that I know of. Gaiman's fantasy Stardust was only published in illustrated novel form, as far as I know.

Last edited:
There was a Stardust novel published in 1990, but that was a crime drama in the Spencer series by Robert P. Parker, that;s the only other Stardust novel that I know of. Gaiman's fantasy Stardust was only published in illustrated novel form, as far as I know.

I have the non-illustrated version. It even has questions and topics for discussion at the back for book clubs.

Here is the answer to the dilemma though as provided via Wiki:

Gaiman retains the copyright to the text and in 1999 decided, encouraged by publisher Avon, to publish Stardust as a conventional novel in hardback without illustrations.

Incidentally, the talking tree with red leaves is supposed to represent Tori Amos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back