B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > A new river > B5.reborn

Old October 3rd 21, 01:54   #1
AntonyF
Administrator

A thread about the future of B5TV

As JMS takes a step into a new river, not being the same person, I understand completely.

When I created this site in 2001 - 20 years ago eesh - I was already late to the B5 party. The site was B5LR.com - B5 Legend of the Rangers. I was a new fan and wanted to promote this new series. Creating community is hard, but it literally took off in a week. I don't know how, that's just how it worked in the internet of old. It's a time we looked for commonality, rather that what divides us perhaps.

This was a time when there was no Twitter, no Facebook and Google was still an upstart.

JMS learned of the site and told the cast and most of them joined and contributed, it was just fantastic. While Legend of the Rangers never made it, I cherish this moment that the fans and cast came together.

I have made life-long friends from this site, having met some of them in person over the years. It's fair to say, as a site, it's died off... but there are bonds here that have not been broken.

I considered closing the forums at one point but thankfully I didn't. I then moved on to thinking that I will preserve these forums as a testament to the sure human brilliance that was the original B5. We have lost SO many great people from this show and I want to preserve some of their impact.

Now, we have the curveball of a new show! I went from being dismissive, to sceptical to okay... quite up for this in the space of two days. JMS is JMS. He says stuff, I believe him. He makes me believe. And quite frankly in this world we live in 20 years later, I want to believe.

Modern sci-fi has abandoned its purpose. It was meant to broaden minds, challenge and inspire. Take the issues of the day, but use them as an allegory and raise us up.

I look to things like modern Star Trek and it has none of the intelligence or nuance to do this. It's angry people with angry and scared minds and it shows. I can't remember the last time I was inspired by sci-fi.

That's a big ask for the new B5, but I don't think in anything I've seen or read from JMS since that he will be that "Argh let's cut ourselves life is shit" TV that seems to be the norm now. He may be just what the doctor ordered for sci-fi...

So... the future of B5TV. I have, for a while, thought about upgrading the site. I don't see myself going back to news reporting. I would love to, but that guy that spent hours building a site 20 years ago isn't the guy I am now.

Partially because of my life. I have one, my PC is not my main focus. I don't have the energy or inclination. It's not even financially appealing. Back then you could do advertising and referral links and make a nice income that warrants it. Now Google and the other big giants have made the internet a very inhospitable place for content creators.

But I pledge, at least, to give the forums a new lick of paint.

Babylon is ready to rise again. And this site will be there.
Old October 4th 21, 15:21   #2
Bester
First One

Smile Re: A thread about the future of B5TV

Thanks for keeping the site alive, Antony. I know I have posted very infrequently over the last couple of decades (eesh, indeed), but I have very fond memories of this place. This site has always been THE place to come to for B5 discussion. And I look forward to (hopefully) discussing new episodes going forward
Old October 4th 21, 17:34   #3
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: A thread about the future of B5TV

I have a friend who'd like to register but he says registration is closed?
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 21, 18:56   #4
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

Having been here from Day 1, it is a wonderful thing to have the legacy of this place available to both new viewers of the old series as well as a place for us to come when the new series starts.

I, too, have made friends from participating here having met quite a few old-timers in person. I actually encountered Antony in a Yahoo Group for Farscape. He asked "would anyone be interested in a forum for Babylon 5 Legend of the Rangers?" I was one of many who enthusiastically said "YES!!"

There have been quite a few times over the last decade or so that this place could have been shut down. I am glad that those of us that have not gone beyond the Rim can gather again and wonder at whatever JMS comes up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I have a friend who'd like to register but he says registration is closed?
I checked the settings and it appears that we are open for new registrations. Let me know if there are still problems.
Old October 5th 21, 02:55   #5
RW7427

I'm almost as old as Markas when it comes to being a member here. I don't want to say that he's like Lorien.....cause I think honor should go to Antony since he created this site.

But All these years I have still been here......mostly babbling with CBO in Babbleon. Great Maker, I'm used to him now.

But yeah, it's nice to see activity here again.
Old October 5th 21, 05:07   #6
hypatia
First One

Definitely a big thanks to Antony for putting up with us all of these years.
Old October 5th 21, 06:27   #7
Kribu
Administrator

I was sceptical when I saw this news - still am, to be honest. But I have no doubt that JMS has things in mind that would make a reboot interesting and worth, at the very least, giving a try to.

So ... I guess I'm back here too. For those who remember me. It's been, uh, a few years, but it's nice to be back.
Old October 5th 21, 22:18   #8
Springer
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonyF View Post
I went from being dismissive, to sceptical to okay... quite up for this in the space of two days.
I went through feeling something similar in about the same timeframe. Still somewhat cautious, but this should be a fun ride.

With the forum upgrade, will we keep our member profiles and post counts, or will we all have to re-register and start at 0 posts?
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th 21, 04:21   #9
hypatia
First One

[QUOTE=Springer;465460]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonyF View Post
I...With the forum upgrade, will we keep our member profiles and post counts, or will we all have to re-register and start at 0 posts?
Never.
Old October 6th 21, 04:22   #10
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kribu View Post
I was sceptical when I saw this news - still am, to be honest. But I have no doubt that JMS has things in mind that would make a reboot interesting and worth, at the very least, giving a try to.

So ... I guess I'm back here too. For those who remember me. It's been, uh, a few years, but it's nice to be back.
*Waves at Kribu* It certainly has been a long time. I hope you have been well.