• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Teep homeworld

More to the point, why didn't G'kar approach Byron? The Narn have made attempts to buy Telepath DNA on (evidently) several occasions, Byron's crew could have provided him with scores of different viable samples. In exchange, I'm sure the Narn would have been only too happy to provide them with a world in their own space, or, failing that, a continent on some underpopulated world, or at least a big space station of their own, and certainly the Narn would have defended them if it was in their own benefit to do so. And G'Kar *must* have known what was going on with them, at least to some extent.

I agree. That makes a lot of sense.

I agree as well. It makes so much sense that I think JMS might have over looked the obvious. To bad JMS concentrated more on the telepaths than the Centauri war for season 5. Maybe it was budget constraints that forced him into this.

dennis

Well, the obvious reason why JMS might not have done that, even if it had occurred to him, is that it might have averted a telepath war. Still, I would have preferred it.

I agree as well. It makes so much sense that I think JMS might have over looked the obvious. To bad JMS concentrated more on the telepaths than the Centauri war for season 5. Maybe it was budget constraints that forced him into this.

dennis

The teep war was slowly gathering momentum and it obviously needed the "final catalyst". I suspect JMS tried to start something that'd make the producers interested and possibly even allow more to be done. However, I'm kinda glad that they didn't. The fifth season is kinda bad and Crusade is downright horrible.

Well, the obvious reason why JMS might not have done that, even if it had occurred to him, is that it might have averted a telepath war. Still, I would have preferred it.

I think that the teep war could've started just as well. Even if Byron's gang would retreat to somewhere in Narn Space, the actual problem is Bester's Psicore, and they're not going anywhere without encouragement. Maybe Byron's escape would've caused Bester to do something drastic that'd be big enough for normal people to really get upset about. Like, taking control of CnC and firing on the departing teep ship carrying Byron's people.

Last edited:
I don't actually recall Sheridan being at all uneasy or untrusting around Teeps, excepting Bester. Garibaldi, definitely, absolutely, but I can't think of an example ofSheridan off the top o' m'brain...

True, he's usually more suspicious of Psi Corps. However, there is that point where he figures out Lyta blew up Z'ha'dum, basically tells her that he knows, and she neither confirms nor denies (as I recall). So he knows she's hiding things.

I don't recall the name of the episode, but Sheridan at one point says in a voice that leaves little to doubt: "we all know that a telepath war is coming", might not be word for word, but that was the gist of it.

The way that I see it is that the Corps just gives face to the problem. Funneling the blips isn't really any kind of solution since these people are fundamentally superior and if you add human nature into the equation... well, boom... boom boom boom... boom.

And I'm not saying that Sheridan necessarily thinks that it's the telepaths who'll start the war.

I take issue with the idea that G'Kar might have been able/willing to intervene in the Telepaths' plight. Taking one telepath into protective custody is one thing, taking a whole colony in is a different matter.

Whilst it's true that G'Kar would empathise with the plight of the telepaths, he would also be aware of the potential consequences of helping them. (Earth's government would very likely become quite frosty to that move and while not probably being openly hostile... would probably rock the boat as far as any Narn proposals or interests were raised). It would probably destabilise the alliance to a point... don't you think?

don't you think?

I believe G'kar would've invested in this for the simple reason of what it would mean to the narn as a race. They've spend vast amounts of capital on weapons shipments, so I believe G'kar could raise capital enough to invest to their future - investment far greater than weapons.

Sure, some at EarthGov might rile up, but this is also a solution presented. The PsiCorps' influence would greatly diminish after Clark, but they'd still be a vital part on the machinations of the goverment and have a heavy say on matters. Having a sanctuary for a populous is a very appealing idea for the decision makers, weighing it against a forced rule that the Corps imposes.

Additionally, it might form relations with the narn, not block them.

Heck, even if G'Kar hadn't taken Byron and the Groupies in, he could have given them some much-needed advice on how to navigate the Alliance -- a consultant rather than a rescuer, if you will.

Yeah, that was my initial thought. G'kar is quite possibly a whole lot wiser than anyone else in the station. For a telepath to even tip into that zen-like existence might be a life changing experience.

I do however like the fact that not every situation can be mended. Makes stuff more meaningful if things have consequences. I'll give the teep storyline that!

More to the point, why didn't G'kar approach Byron? The Narn have made attempts to buy Telepath DNA on (evidently) several occasions, Byron's crew could have provided him with scores of different viable samples. In exchange, I'm sure the Narn would have been only too happy to provide them with a world in their own space, or, failing that, a continent on some underpopulated world, or at least a big space station of their own, and certainly the Narn would have defended them if it was in their own benefit to do so. And G'Kar *must* have known what was going on with them, at least to some extent.

I agree. That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks!

Yeah, I never really understood the whole thing about buying teep DNA. It seems they could manufacture a scenario where a Narn pokes a teep with a sharp edge of an innocent object and Voila! Even today you only need a speck to sequence a genome. Might have to do it to a bunch of teeps but the logistics are not that hard. Also would seem that the Narn are not above kidnapping. A teep might be harder to kidnap than a mundane but the Narn are not without resources.

As far as Byron's psychology, I always saw him as a Psi Cop at heart. Maybe the direction has changed but the whole idea that he has the right to force his will on others for what he sees is the greater good, consequences be damned, was ingrained his whole life and I can't imagine it going away from that one incident (blowing up the transport).

As far as Byron's psychology, I always saw him as a Psi Cop at heart. Maybe the direction has changed but the whole idea that he has the right to force his will on others for what he sees is the greater good, consequences be damned, was ingrained his whole life and I can't imagine it going away from that one incident (blowing up the transport).

The only will of his own that he tried to force on others was to practice non-violence.

His will was to get what he wanted. He wanted a world. Not a small request; especially for a group of 10-20 (potentially dangerous) people. Yes, others would follow which would create a world of people with amazing powers and big chips on their shoulders with respect to earth. You gotta think about the security risk. You don't plant a seed for an oak tree directly under your water main, and he had to understand that. Byron painted the teeps as harmless victims that just wanted to be left alone, but this does not describe a very significant number of telepaths and certainly does not jive with the intentions of their hierarchy. There is no argument that Byron had an agenda and he was not willing to compromise because he knew what was right and what was wrong and that's all there was to it. He can't absolve himself of the responsibility for the consequence of his actions by saying that he is non-violent. You can't drop a 10 pound weight on a lizard and then say that it's the lizard’s fault that he's dead because he didn't move. Maybe I'm not making my point. Byron was going to push every button he could get his hands on in order to get his way. He had some points, but he was basically an idiot, imho.

I think JMS does a pretty good job of straddling lines.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back