• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Burn Notice: A show you aren't watching but should be.

Recoil

Regular
Is anyone on this site watching this show? Its wrapping up its second season right now, albeit they are shortened cable seasons of about 15 episodes each, much like The Shield was. I started watching it at the start of Season 2, although I watched all of Season 1 via download rentals so I was caught up when it started. My brother turned me onto this show and I gotta say I really like it. I remember seeing advertisements for it when it first came out, and I never really got what the show was about watching those, so I never tuned in. Turns out this was a mistake because its a really fun and well put together show.

So, for anyone with a little time on their hands and a netflix account, I suggest it's something you should look into. Here is a rundown of the show, why I like it, and it will be spoiler free.

The Premise
The lead character is Michael Westen. He is a spy who works for the CIA. He is on a job when the CIA puts a "Burn Notice" out on him (hence the name of the show). Basically --- they cut him off. Cut all ties to him, remove his resources, bank accounts, the works. If you think its bad getting a pink slip from your job, try being a spy out in the field and getting let go and all your resources cut. He escapes, barely, and ends up dumped in Miami with literally nothing.

So he has no finances, no resume, no job history, nothing, since he was a spy, and is in Miami and has to figure out what to do. He hooks up with an old spy buddy of his (Bruce "The Chin" Campbell) and his ex-girlfriend Fiona (Gabrielle Anwar). They end up taking side jobs to help people who need help, to pay the bills --- sort of an A-Team feel to it in this respect --- all the while trying to figure out who "Burned" him and why.

The Format
This is one of those shows where the lead character is also a narrator at times throughout an episode. Sort of like "Verinca Mars" or many "Private Eye" shows. The neat part about it is, he pretty much explains how and why he does things from his past experience as a spy. For the most part a lot of these are done really well and are believable. Adds a bit of realism to the show and its fun how things are executed. He basically gets a standalone "Job of the week" to help someone with complex problems that involve any sorts of tasks. On the side there is the overall arc where he tries to find out why he was burned, and who is manipulating him.

Characters
First of all, I have this list of just a couple of actors out there who just be the mere fact they are in a show or movie --- they make it better just by their presense. Nathon Fillion is one such person to me. Put him in anything, and its better just because he is in it. Another person is Bruce Campbell. He has been in his share of B and C movies. He has done some of those REAL low-budget Sci-Fi channel shlock movies too. No matter how bad the movie, he makes it better and watchable. So the fact that Bruce is in Burn Notice was a big reason for me liking the show early on. His character does have some of his trademark charm and humor, but when the rubber meets the road, you do see his bad-ass spy background come out, which is excellent. I'm glad he isn't just a funny sidekick type. Bruce being in this show is AWESOME. Also, he will make you want to start drinking Mojitos.

Michael's ex-girlfriend is also in the show. Gabrielle Anwar. Her character in this show, Fiona, is great. Toted as "trigger happy" she has a background from the IRA and is quite the explosives expert. She is definitely a no-nonsense female spy and a good opposite to Michael. For the guys she's kind of hot but she is one of those real skinny model types and that doesnt really work for me.

Other people that make appearances that are noteworthy:

Sharon Gless (Cagney and Lacey) plays Michael's mom, who lives in Miami
Tricia Helfer from BSG appears in Season 2 and is a recurring character
Michael Shanks from Stargate SG1 also appears in Season 2 here and there as a recurring character

Other neat things
First off, the show takes place in Miami. So for the guys, like every other scene has hot women walking around with bakinis. Its like a rap video. Seriously. Plenty of eye-candy. And since the show is on location in Miami its not even forced eye-candy, its there because, well, its Miami!

While I initially thought the premise was a bit hoakey (the phrase Burn Notice, and a spy getting let go/released like that) I have come to find out that there IS such a thing. Whether or not its called a Burn Notice is immaterial, but, there was a person who was the equivalent of Michael Westen, and was cut off from his agency for a particualr reason. There was also a real-life Sam and Fiona (Bruce and Gabrielle's characters). So while Im sure the events of the series are completely fabricated, it is loosely based on something that did/has happened.

Mostly though, the show is just a fun to watch and well thought out show. The writers do a good job. The characters are entertaining, and watching all of the spy stuff and tricks as they are revealed in the show are interesting as well --- almost MacGyver like.

So if you have some time, put this on your Netflix list and check it out. Let me know what you think. It wasn't something I tuned into until someone told me to check it out, so I guess I'm doing the same. :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably be looking for some new TV entertainment after BSG and Friday Night Lights end up, and I trust your taste since you often quote my posts and explain why you agree. :)

Also, the bikinis... man, 2 paragraphs in I'm thinking "but is there eye candy for me?" Sweet.

Since you say Bruce Campbell, here's my recommended costume for him for an episode or two:

army-of-darkness.jpg

Funny thing about Bruce in this is that in the first season, he looked downright chubby. Definitely lost some weight for the season. No where near his Army of Darkness days though. ;)

I have to agree with Recoil, this is a great show. All the characters are believable and enjoyable to watch. Good storylines with a nice overall arch of who burned him and why (where they actually reveal answers unlike some shows) mixed with well written, intelligent, fun and funny side jobs or situations they find themselves in. The relationships between the characters are progressive so when something happens in one episode it has an affect in the others.

So I believe it has everything that makes Babylon 5 so great - aliens... um no wait a sec.... - great writing, great characters with great (mostly unknown) actors and a well defined (not half assed) story arch.

Plus, they seem to have a fondness for classic cars. Every few episodes they find a way to work one into the show.

They also find a way to work a little Easter Egg into every episode.

I agree. Caught it on a business trip in the first season, and been watching it since.

What drove me to it was charismatic characters, story of the week format with a underlining A plot, and just plain entertainment.

Oh, was it mentioned there are some really nice hot bodies in it? ;)

Great summary above!

This show sold itself to me when I saw Campbell in a hawaii shirt, though I never really learned to actually like or care about the main character Westen nor his gun crazy girlfriend - yet I watched the 2 seasons.

The show is light, funny and easy to pick up even from the middle. There are loads and loads of worse shows out there.

I spent the last few days laid up with a mysterious stomach bug, so I downloaded the first two seasons of Burn Notice. Also worth bumping the thread since season 3 just started.

It is a lot of fun. Though I watched it all at once, which this show is not built for (like Lost or the Wire or B5), it is very entertaining.

I think the thing that makes it so watchable to me is the McGyver aspect of it. The scene that hooked me was one where he's trying to break into some dude's room, and he explains that while a door can be reinforced and bullet proof, walls usually aren't. (He then repeats that trick with a warehouse and a truck)

The biggest weakness for me is the lack of charisma of the main character. He often feels like just a canvas for putting all the other cool stuff and people around him. Fortunately there is enough cool stuff and people to keep one engaged. A lot of the one-off characters are really good, which makes each episode stand on its own well. Lots of good and recognizable guest actors, including Michael Irvin in one!

I've been watching Burn Notice since day 1 and I love it. I'm a huge fan of Bruce Campbell, and when I heard that he had a primetime 1-hour show on USA, I had to tune in.

Michael reminds me of Jack from Alias. Guarded, keeps everything compartmentalized, quick thinker, all-around badass. But like with Jack & Sidney, we see his real feelings come out between him and Fiona.

BTW, is it just me, or does she look SMOKIN hot in some scenes and totally scarecrowish in others?

I personally find Fionna completely unattractive, physically. Very small, skinny (but athletic, so not unhealthy looking, just not.... I guess not what I consider "feminine") and way too tan (ok I know the show takes place in Miami, but her tan is obviously salon and a bit much). What makes her cute sometimes is the attitude.

Michael's ex-fiance that showed up in that one episode is more what I'm about.

I've been watching Burn Notice since day 1 and I love it. I'm a huge fan of Bruce Campbell, and when I heard that he had a primetime 1-hour show on USA, I had to tune in.

Michael reminds me of Jack from Alias. Guarded, keeps everything compartmentalized, quick thinker, all-around badass. But like with Jack & Sidney, we see his real feelings come out between him and Fiona.

BTW, is it just me, or does she look SMOKIN hot in some scenes and totally scarecrowish in others?

My favorite characters in the show are Fiona (Gabrielle Anwar), and Sam (Bruce Campbell)

Bruce was interviewed last week on National Public Radio's: Talk of the Nation. This link will take you to the article and a 17+ minute audio file of the interview.

I spent the last few days laid up with a mysterious stomach bug, so I downloaded the first two seasons of Burn Notice. Also worth bumping the thread since season 3 just started.

It is a lot of fun. Though I watched it all at once, which this show is not built for (like Lost or the Wire or B5), it is very entertaining.

I think the thing that makes it so watchable to me is the McGyver aspect of it. The scene that hooked me was one where he's trying to break into some dude's room, and he explains that while a door can be reinforced and bullet proof, walls usually aren't. (He then repeats that trick with a warehouse and a truck)

The biggest weakness for me is the lack of charisma of the main character. He often feels like just a canvas for putting all the other cool stuff and people around him. Fortunately there is enough cool stuff and people to keep one engaged. A lot of the one-off characters are really good, which makes each episode stand on its own well. Lots of good and recognizable guest actors, including Michael Irvin in one!

Finally caught the Season 3 premier tonight. Yea the above pretty much sums up my feeling for the show. Its fun and entertaining. I also like the "McGyver" aspect of it as you mentioned, and his narrations at how to handle situations is pretty cool. Its funny you mentioned the comment about the door and the wall, because that is the same part my brother told me about when he was explaining the show to me before I tuned in.

I agree about the lack of "charisma" for the lead character, Michael, but I thin its by design. He doesn't seem to be a James Bond woo the ladies in a tuxedo type of spy. He was more of the behind enemy lines, making weapons deals and dealing with nasty people type of spy, so I think the harder more detached personality comes with it. He shows moments of brightness and spontaneity but clearly isn't as expressive as other characters, but I think that's the point and it works for me.

The other characters do pick up the balance there (Fiona included) and you are right, they have had a long list of solid guest one-off characters. I especially liked, as Season 2 was wrapping up, how he ended up teaming up with ALL of his major enemies during the season. The two FBI guys in the car, that CIA investigator who he teamed up with during the bank heist, and even Victor near the end. (He sorta teamed up with BSG Six, but not really).

So far this season is off to an interesting start, and I can see how they are taking things a bit differently this season than prior ones.

Also, I agree about Fiona. Sometimes she strikes me as kinda hot...but usually not as much. She looks like a bag of antlers most of the time. Way too skinny and tan for my personal liking.

I watch it a bit haphazardly, but enjoy it when I see it. I like all three of the main characters and seem to be one of the few that likes Jefferey Donovan as Michael. I first saw him in the US version of Touching Evil, and found him to be a fascinating actor. There is something about him that is anti-charismatic, but seems to help him meld into the role.

I was happy to read that they are getting Tyne Daly to make a visit this season. I can just imagine what is going to happen with she and Sharon Gless.

I was happy to read that they are getting Tyne Daly to make a visit this season. I can just imagine what is going to happen with she and Sharon Gless.

I didn't know that, but that will be awesome!

Speaking of little in-jokes, this one goes to GKE....

So, did you happen to notice the little Easter Egg that they work into every episode yet?

Yogurt.

They find a way to work Yogurt into every episode. Check it out next week, you will see it at some point...

Also, and this isn't as much of a little small thing they do, but they do seem to enjoy classic cars in this show. Every few episodes someone has a different car. I'm really loving the one that Sam is driving these days. I always thought that was kinda cool too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back