• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Heroes Season 2 [SPOILERS]

I only got around to watching last Monday's episode yesterday.

No crappy cheerleader/superweirdo story, no whiny central american woman and her brother. I enjoyed the whole episode thoroughly. Coincidence? I think not.

So last night had the return of the Maya and Alejandro story. It was slightly less uninteresting that previously, but that was mostly because of Sylar, and even still, it's nothing that we haven't had already before. Still seems like it's being given more time than the amount of entertainment value we viewers get from it.

Claire and ClarkKentJunior's whole plot with the cheerleader, while not terrible, did feel like filler. Like they thought "we've gotta give Claire something to do because she's not truly involved in the plot".

The bad side of HRG pops out again with him killing a man. It was alright I guess.

As for Hiro's story, I'm glad Yaeko knows Hiro loves her, but of course BritMan would betray them. He's always been nothing but an opportunist, after all. This episode for Hiro was more setup for plot to come than anything else really. For me, the best part of Hiro's story is Ando's reactions to reading the scrolls.

The important and most entertaining part of the episode for me was all the stuff featuring Mohinder. His inner struggle with injecting Monica with the virus. His trying to be aware of the mental games The Company is playing with him. Bob goes and starts to sound like he's a nice guy, he lets Monica go, but then they bring in a way too chipper Niki to be Mohinder's partner. Looks like The Company will be using her to try to control Mohinder similarly to how they used Candice to control HRG last season.

Man this season still isn't doing it for me.

The Hiro/Kensai story? Could have been really cool, but so far its really lame and predictable. It seemed like in no time he took that guy from a drunk to a hero. That dude also fell in love with the chick pretty fast, and *SHOCKER* Hiro fell in love with her too and got caught smooching. The whole travel to the past thing could have been really cool and epic....but so far its just lame and uninteresting. I find myself....not caring and tuning out when that part comes on.

Same with Claire and her little superboy.

Same with Peter and his Irish lassie.

Same with Maya and her brother. (although Sylars comments to the brother that he couldn't understand were cool)

I'm sort of interested in the Parkman thread.

Sort of interested in the Mohindar thread.

I like seeing Mr Bennet get all bad ass.

So far this season really doesn't grab me, and most of the stories I couldn't care less about....and there are so many of them it still after 6 episodes or so, seems to be all over the place.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. So far Journeyman > Heroes Season 2

So last night had the return of the Maya and Alejandro story. It was slightly less uninteresting that previously, but that was mostly because of Sylar, and even still, it's nothing that we haven't had already before. Still seems like it's being given more time than the amount of entertainment value we viewers get from it.

Claire and ClarkKentJunior's whole plot with the cheerleader, while not terrible, did feel like filler. Like they thought "we've gotta give Claire something to do because she's not truly involved in the plot".

The bad side of HRG pops out again with him killing a man. It was alright I guess.

As for Hiro's story, I'm glad Yaeko knows Hiro loves her, but of course BritMan would betray them. He's always been nothing but an opportunist, after all. This episode for Hiro was more setup for plot to come than anything else really. For me, the best part of Hiro's story is Ando's reactions to reading the scrolls.

The important and most entertaining part of the episode for me was all the stuff featuring Mohinder. His inner struggle with injecting Monica with the virus. His trying to be aware of the mental games The Company is playing with him. Bob goes and starts to sound like he's a nice guy, he lets Monica go, but then they bring in a way too chipper Niki to be Mohinder's partner. Looks like The Company will be using her to try to control Mohinder similarly to how they used Candice to control HRG last season.

I agree with everything that VL says, apart from I wonder if Nikki is in on HRG and Suresh's plot. I thought maybe she got inside the company to help them out from the inside (maybe in case Suresh couldn't get in). Their reactions to meeting each other when she was assigned as his partner could be just cos they didn't know whether the Company were watching them. I'm probably wrong, but that could be interesting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. So far Journeyman > Heroes Season 2

I've heard other people say good things about this show. I may have to check it out.

Why do I have the feeling Sylar is patient-zero for a new virus due to the Company using the vacination on him?

Or do you think his loss of abilities is due to something else? That I think is one of those mysteries I hope is explained nicely.

Other than that, the season has been 'eh' ... some interesting points, however it isn't grabbing me like last. Even Peter going to the future didn't grab me with any suspense.

S.

snockit said:
...Even Peter going to the future didn't grab me with any suspense.

Yeah, that definitely had an element of "You've already done this once before, are you going to do it every year?? Oh no, someone jumps forward in time to find New York City destroyed, now they've gotta go back to normal time and stop it." It's way too repeat-o-vision.

Another thing with the whole Niki issue, I wonder if it really is Niki, or if The Company has helped Jessica gain a somewhat more stable control over Niki and she's mascarading as Niki. I really hope they don't drop the Jessica part of Niki's story because it really feels unfinished. Having it just be a multiple personality really doesn't finish telling us what exactly happened to the real Jessica -- what exactly did their father do to her that ended with her death?

I really hope they don't drop the Jessica part of Niki's story because it really feels unfinished. Having it just be a multiple personality really doesn't finish telling us what exactly happened to the real Jessica -- what exactly did their father do to her that ended with her death?

Here is my feeling on that whole issue since the first episode of Season 1:

Can someone explain to me what Nikki's "ability" really is?

She doesn't have one! She has a multiple personality disorder. Period. She sees herself in mirrors and talks to herself. When traumatic things happen her "other personality" comes out. She doesn't have any powers or abilities that have been apparent to me. Just seems like another nut.

Here is my feeling on that whole issue since the first episode of Season 1:

Can someone explain to me what Nikki's "ability" really is?

She doesn't have one! She has a multiple personality disorder. Period. She sees herself in mirrors and talks to herself. When traumatic things happen her "other personality" comes out. She doesn't have any powers or abilities that have been apparent to me. Just seems like another nut.

Niki/Jessica has super strength. Not only has she exhibited it herself, Peter copied it from her when she helped him during his fight with Sylar at the end of season one.

I see two possibilities. As you said, Niki truly does have a split personality that she just named Jessica after her deceased sister, who seemed to take beatings from their father to try to protect Niki from him. Or, Niki and Jessica were both superpowered with Niki's power being super strength and Jessica's ability being mental displacement/possession and she used her power to put herself in Niki's body prior to dying causing both of them to reside in the same body.

Niki is based upon or very similar to the Critial Mass / Stephanie Mass character from JMS's Rising Stars, and also various X-Men plot threads invovling Xavier. She has super strength, excellent abilites with weapons and a really nice ass.

Matt's dad is creepy as hell. Started out as a simpering old fart and surprised us all. Interesting that he and Matt have the same abilities. But, Matt was "made" by The Company, I think. Maybe they thought it would make sense to give Matt the same ability as his father? I like that they have a lot of Matt lately. He's an interesting character, imho.

Where do you get the idea that Matt was made by the Company? I haven't noticed any evidence that the company is capable of producing powers? They are working on finding a way to eliminate the powers, though.

Yeah, that definitely had an element of "You've already done this once before, are you going to do it every year?? Oh no, someone jumps forward in time to find New York City destroyed, now they've gotta go back to normal time and stop it." It's way too repeat-o-vision.

Another thing with the whole Niki issue, I wonder if it really is Niki, or if The Company has helped Jessica gain a somewhat more stable control over Niki and she's mascarading as Niki. I really hope they don't drop the Jessica part of Niki's story because it really feels unfinished. Having it just be a multiple personality really doesn't finish telling us what exactly happened to the real Jessica -- what exactly did their father do to her that ended with her death?

Look at her shoulder. Jessica has the "Godsend" tattoo, Nikki doesn't

The Hiro story is a bit disjointed. There is too much going on and too many characters to keep track of. Instead of giving the current characters depth, they're just adding more cast members. I'd rather see more of Nathan (for example) and get more into what they're doing with Nikki/Jessica. Instead, they just keep throwing new characters at us and expect us to go, "oooo! What are so and so's powers?"

Claire and her lame-ass boyfriend are stupid as hell. I think what's wrong with this whole thing is that Claire and her family are trying to live "normal lives" and "blend in." The concept just isn't working.

There is too much excess. Peter's GF, Clair's BF, etc.

I keep waiting for Syler to off the two and steal both powers so he can cause the plague-like future that Peter ported to. I'm just not interested in them whatsoever.

The Parkman/Mohinder stuff is by far the most interesting. Parkman's dad is truly creepy in my opinion.

I'm not sure I agree with Recoil. I don't like seeing Mr. Bennet get too "evil." I like him in shades of gray better. When I saw him off that guy without thinking, I thought, "well, his character won't last long." He's going down a road he can't come back from.
On Sylar and his loss of abilities
I think he lost them because he (for all purposes) "died" in the season finale and all his acquired powers "died" as well. Not sure about his original ability, though.

Where do you get the idea that Matt was made by the Company? I haven't noticed any evidence that the company is capable of producing powers? They are working on finding a way to eliminate the powers, though.

Hmm, not made (now that I think about it again.) But enhanced, rather. I wonder if Matt's father was enchanced as well or if it was just natural. Either way, Matt is the only offspring of a Hero (that we have seen) that has the same power (potential) as his parent. So far, it's just been random.

Last edited:
Hmm, not made (now that I think about it again.) But enhanced, rather. I wonder if Matt's father was enchanced as well or if it was just natural. Either way, Matt is the only offspring of a Hero (that we have seen) that has the same power (potential) as his parent. So far, it's just been random.

Ah, OK, enhanced makes sense, but, I'm not sure there's enough to suggest they can do that either. Mostly they just seem to want to catalog, assess danger, and imprison if they are assessed as dangerous.

Good point about Matt being the only child with a similar power, although we have yet to learn what Kaito's power, or Angela's powers are (Or Peter and Nathan's father, as well as if Nathan's kids have/will have powers?). Is Angela's power to put her thoughts in someone else's head, or was she merely making herself more accessible to Matt's powers?

Ok, so here's my thoughts on tonight's episode.

I think it was probably the best episode so far this season.

I like that Parkman's resolution to dealing with his father wasn't in shooting him or some easy way out like that but in understanding him and the nightmare-scape of their old apartment to be his father's own dread.

Long ago when I read that David Anders (BritMan) was going to be a part of the show, I actually suspected, especially with him being in Japan in the past, that he was going to be the Big Bad behind The Company, but with how boring his character was throughout all the Japan story, I figured I was just being hopeful. But yay, he is the Big Bad, though he does still seem like an idiot-ass if his whole motivation is out of Yaeko loving Hiro over him.

It was yet another episode without Maya and her brother, and it was a better episode for it.

I'm glad that the conflict between HRG and Claire seems to be shaping up less like the whiny teenage drama over her boyfriend like it did seem for a while and more over Claire having more of an adult clash over HRG's methods for doing whatever he's doing, even if that whatever is him trying to protect his family. I think any drama that spawns from that angle won't be as cliched as the former.

I think this episode might actually be the first one this season that's really made me want to see the next one.

I agree with Vacantlook in that I felt it was the best episode of the season so far, and I cannot wait for next week (looks even better.)

The Kensei storyline really wasn't doing it for me until tonight. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing Sark (from Alias) back in t.v. land, but the whole thing just wasn't working. It felt clunky and disjointed. But, now that Hiro is back in the "present," I'm feeling a lot better about the situation.

Kensei as Adam is a nice twist, so is the fact that he's in the present time. Either he got there via another hero manipulating time (i.e. Peter,) or he is not only invincible, but he is immortal (which means Claire may also be.)

Go Matt! I really love his character. This was the most compelling moment in the show so far, Matt in a showdown with his father and telling his pop what a loser he is (and how much Molly means to him.) Kudos on that.

Nikki/Jessica is kind of feeling useless lately. The whole DL thing pissed me off. I know it was Matt's pop, but it was cruel to see him only in a "hallucinatory context." I loved DL. Sad that he's gone.

Does Mama Patrelli have a power? Can she give back the memories that the Haitian took? Would be an interesting concept to say the least. I don't think she can put thoughts into peoples' heads. I think she just knew Matt's ability and was "thinking" to him. But, you never know.

Scary that Peter's Irish gal is stuck in the future. Another part of me doesn't care. She was dead weight.

I really hope that Mohinder isn't that stupid. I hope he's going to work the triple-agent angle.

I'm not liking the rift between Mr. Bennett and Claire--it feels forced. They work better as a team. Speaking of Mr. Bennett, who kills him? The loser, flying BF or Mohinder?

No Maya and her brother = better episode. I agree. They need to be "Sylar'ed" and done with.

I agree with Vacantlook in that I felt it was the best episode of the season so far, and I cannot wait for next week (looks even better.)

The Kensei storyline really wasn't doing it for me until tonight. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing Sark (from Alias) back in t.v. land, but the whole thing just wasn't working. It felt clunky and disjointed. But, now that Hiro is back in the "present," I'm feeling a lot better about the situation.

Kensei as Adam is a nice twist, so is the fact that he's in the present time. Either he got there via another hero manipulating time (i.e. Peter,) or he is not only invincible, but he is immortal (which means Claire may also be.)

Go Matt! I really love his character. This was the most compelling moment in the show so far, Matt in a showdown with his father and telling his pop what a loser he is (and how much Molly means to him.) Kudos on that.

Nikki/Jessica is kind of feeling useless lately. The whole DL thing pissed me off. I know it was Matt's pop, but it was cruel to see him only in a "hallucinatory context." I loved DL. Sad that he's gone.

Does Mama Patrelli have a power? Can she give back the memories that the Haitian took? Would be an interesting concept to say the least. I don't think she can put thoughts into peoples' heads. I think she just knew Matt's ability and was "thinking" to him. But, you never know.

Scary that Peter's Irish gal is stuck in the future. Another part of me doesn't care. She was dead weight.

I really hope that Mohinder isn't that stupid. I hope he's going to work the triple-agent angle.

I'm not liking the rift between Mr. Bennett and Claire--it feels forced. They work better as a team. Speaking of Mr. Bennett, who kills him? The loser, flying BF or Mohinder?

No Maya and her brother = better episode. I agree. They need to be "Sylar'ed" and done with.

Mama Petrelli should have a power. I got the impression all the "founders" had powers. Also, a mid season 1 spoiler said her power is similar to someone else's, which I don't believe was ever actually revealed. It doesn't feel right she can put memories back, because the Haitian described his power as being like a worm burrowing, which suggests to me he actually removes the memory, so where would Angela get the memory from to restore?

I liked the Adam twist too. I knew Matt's dad couldn't be the Be all, end all to the season's big bad, but, I wasn't expecting Kensei to be behind his behavior. Wondering how that came to be? As far as we know Kensei only has cellular regeneration, which seems to extend to immortality or at least very slow aging, since he's 400 years old (The previews show Peter meeting him apparently before his memory loss, so it seems doubtful Peter brought him forward in time)

Wondering how that came to be? As far as we know Kensei only has cellular regeneration, which seems to extend to immortality or at least very slow aging, since he's 400 years old (The previews show Peter meeting him apparently before his memory loss, so it seems doubtful Peter brought him forward in time)

I was thinking about that, and wondering if he wasn't 'alive' during all that time. That he may have been in a form of stasis from brain damage until he was recovered in the future, and started to regenerate at that point? (Thinking of Claire and Peter's stasis incidents)

Granted, I am sure it will turn out he is immortal, making it more of a sweeping character ... :)

And yes, first episode where I am interested in seeing what is next ...

S.

It doesn't feel right she can put memories back, because the Haitian described his power as being like a worm burrowing, which suggests to me he actually removes the memory, so where would Angela get the memory from to restore?

Worms don't "remove" soil when they burrow, they process it and make it more fertile... so the Haitians ability doesn't necessarily mean he physically removes memory. It could be described as being more along the line of formatting a hard disk. With the proper technology, it is possible to recover information from a formatted computer... so is it not possible that a person with an "opposite" power could recover the lost memories in the same way?

I was thinking about that, and wondering if he wasn't 'alive' during all that time. That he may have been in a form of stasis from brain damage until he was recovered in the future, and started to regenerate at that point? (Thinking of Claire and Peter's stasis incidents)

Interesting point. Definitely something to think about.

And welcome, snockit. I see you are relatively new? Or just more of a lurker. Either way, nice to meet you.

Granted, I am sure it will turn out he is immortal, making it more of a sweeping character ... :)

And yes, first episode where I am interested in seeing what is next ...

S.

That makes sense. But still wondering how Adam/Kensei was able to get someone as strong as Maury to do his bidding executing the the other company leaders? Kensei may not be easy to kill (or maybe even impossible) but, her power is not a major threat to others (at least not as much as we know of it from Claire) and Maury's power is incredibly dangerous. Unless Kensei isn't like Claire, but, instead like Peter?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back