• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Okay, maybe this was obvious

KoshFan

Regular
I was thinking about Lady Morella and prophecy this morning (side note: only on a B5 board would I ever admit that), and suddenly something dawned on me.

Londo says that Lady Morella says "we" because it is assumed she speaks with the voice of the emperor, now deceased -- that she speaks for him.

Majel Barret, who played her, was the wife of deceased Gene Roddenberry, and both she and JMS made her appearance on the show out to be a sort of endorsement by her.

Now, a mere four years after seeing the episode for the first time, that connection finally fell into place in my head. JMS, sly fellow that he was, was saying to all the Trekkies out there, "Look! The other Great Maker supports me! Posthumously!"

I can only assume others figured this out long ago, but there it is... yet another one of those little things you notice, long after you see the show for the first time, that makes it so great.

I don't remember exactly what she said in that context. Was it something like "We hope you succeed" or some such?

Now what would be even better is if JMS intended the character to speak for both herself and her husband *before* he knew Majel Barrett was going to play that role. That would be another one of those intriguing coincidences that happened on B5 so often.

I was thinking about Lady Morella and prophecy this morning (side note: only on a B5 board would I ever admit that),

Yeah, I totally know what you mean. My wife, although she was really into B5 when it was aired, rolls her eyes every time I mention it, or Crusade, or JMS, or if I leave a window open on the computer and she sees I was up all night reading fan-fiction or posts from this board. :rolleyes:

Now, a mere four years after seeing the episode for the first time, that connection finally fell into place in my head. JMS, sly fellow that he was, was saying to all the Trekkies out there, "Look! The other Great Maker supports me! Posthumously!"

Well, duh!!!

When she makes her little speech about greatness, re-evaluated in death etc. I always assume that's about Gene Roddenberry.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back