• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The theme!

I liked the Enterprise theme too.
laugh.gif

As for Chen, no opinion yet. Didn't get to know him as we did Franke. But I do agree his stuff was a bit... odd at certain points.

*shrugs and runs off merrily into the street, being ran over by a skimmer*

Ouch.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

The best way to sum up Franke vs. Chen is that Franke is the Blade Runner soundtrack, and Chen is The Killing Fields. Listen to just the music from all four and I think you'll get my drift.

As it happens, I liked the Killing Fields soundtrack much better
wink.gif

I also like Crusade's music a lot, sometimes better than B5, but Chen's incidental music often felt a bit lacking (the "one of the characters said something funny and another one's raising an eyebrow now" cue we heard 3 or 4 times throughout the series was 60's-TV awful for example.) In general, what we have of the series is much better than ACTA, which felt really sparse (perhaps intentionally.)

I was disappointed in B5LR to hear the season 5 theme rather than the regular B5 theme. To my surprise, my partner noticed that too and said "I wish they'd brought the music back from before TNT". But it was meant to be a big triumphant finish so what do you want, I guess (S5 was the only major-key theme music AFAIR.)

------------------

dont get me started on the enterprise theme... the song itself on its own is fine, but its so completely different from everything else in the series that it sticks out like a sore thumb on someone *elses* hand. but i digress...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raindog:
I was disappointed in B5LR to hear the season 5 theme rather than the regular B5 theme.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nitpick, the season 5 theme was originally part of the score for the third season epsiode "Voices of Authority."

------------------
Callahan's Law: Shared Pain is Lessened, Shared Joy Increased.

Lady Sally's Law: Shared Despair is Squared, Shared Hope Cubed. (Or better...raised to the power of infinity?)

---

http://www.gleep.net

http://www.vandread-nirvana.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackStar:
I thought the music was different, but it still was great.

There was one weird part where Dulann was walking around, though.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the part I thought sounded like Chen!
lol.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>>I was disappointed in B5LR to hear the season 5 theme rather than the regular B5 theme.

Nitpick, the season 5 theme was originally part of the score for the third season epsiode "Voices of Authority.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, let me nitpick you then...
smile.gif

That music was never aired in episode "Voices of Authority" - Instead it was first availble on the B5 Vol.2 soundtrack, in the "Voices of Authority" track. Note that the track names and episode music doesn't match for any of the tracks, for some strange reason.

------------------
- Lars

[This message has been edited by Hyperspace (edited January 22, 2002).]

and the season 3 theme was from the season 2 ep "the long twilight struggle"... i dont see why that matters?
crazy.gif

*waves at hyperspace*
laugh.gif

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

Given the fact that I am big into the music and how it impacts shows (It was only proven to me when Crusade came) I can't believe I haven't posted here yet.

I for one couldn't contain my excitement when I heard Franke was doing the music for Rangers. It's all a matter of taste, but I think music does a great deal just to set the mood for what you're going to watch. To me, switching to a totally different style of music in Crusade is like switching between Episode 5 and Episode 6 of Star Wars from John Williams to...well...Enigma or something. (I happen to like both those, but I don't think one goes with the other) I guess it was just a matter of familiarity.

I don't fault Chen for the fact that I wished I could blot out the music and just have silence through the entire show. It's a matter of taste, and I just flat couldn't get used to it, and I did try. The theme he had in one small spot had promise, and I tried to build from there, but I just couldn't do it. I don't hate Chen for trying or anything like that, it's always hard to come into an already established thing and try and make people like something different.

Franke has grown by leaps and bounds from the first season of B5, from almost Chen-like style (not exactly, no, but some of clashes when we would change from one scene to another were mildly distracting, so I will admit I didn't love it at first. (didn't hate it though)), to a much heavier use on the orchestra and such. Now that we got him broke in, (and since I do find it hard to think B5, without having Chris around) I think we need to keep him.

For me, I enjoyed every minute of it, and I hope it continues. I look forward to more scores, and hopefully MANY more CDs.

------------------
It's like I've always said, you can get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 than you can with just a kind word.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back