B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old April 10th 22, 01:52   #11
KoshN

Re: Reaction videos

The more I re-watch The Three Stooges, especially with Moe, Larry, Curly and Shemp, the more I appreciate their craft, the timing and sound effects, as well as the individual talents of Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp and their supporting character actors (Emil Sitka, Cy Schindell, Vernon Dent, Bud Jameson, Gene Roth, Tiny Brauer, Stanley Blystone, Kenneth MacDonald, Ann Doran, Jeanne Willes, Christine McIntyre, Virginia Hunter, Lorna Gray, and Ruth Godfrey.). I never cared for Joe Besser as a Stooge, but Joe DeRita was pretty good. Besser was a better fit with Abbott and Costello.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; April 10th 22 at 01:57.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th 22, 19:01   #12
Looney
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
The more I re-watch The Three Stooges, especially with Moe, Larry, Curly and Shemp, the more I appreciate their craft, the timing and sound effects, as well as the individual talents of Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp and their supporting character actors (Emil Sitka, Cy Schindell, Vernon Dent, Bud Jameson, Gene Roth, Tiny Brauer, Stanley Blystone, Kenneth MacDonald, Ann Doran, Jeanne Willes, Christine McIntyre, Virginia Hunter, Lorna Gray, and Ruth Godfrey.). I never cared for Joe Besser as a Stooge, but Joe DeRita was pretty good. Besser was a better fit with Abbott and Costello.
You are talking my jam KOSHN.

I used to feel the same about way about Besser, but say what you will the first three Stooges' third men, Curly - Shemp - Besser, were unique in the trio. I love DeRita, but he definitely brought the least unique style to the trio.

Should we start a Stooges' Thread

And best Abbott and Costello movies......

MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)
MEET THE KILLER (1949)
HOLD THAT GHOST (1941)

Oh one more thing, I own several Stooges t-shirts that I regularly receive complements about. The odd thing is my newest acquisition has yet to be mentioned. It features Curly and the saying "I try to think and nothing happens." Hilarious right?! Well I have yet to receive one mention. I realized last week that I think it is because Curly is wearing a hat in the photo. I don't think people recognize it is him.

Last edited by Looney; April 10th 22 at 19:14.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th 22, 19:41   #13
babylonfan
Commander

I tried the medusa reaction videos, but could not finish them.

Maybe itís me being Dutch, maybe itís my Aspergerís syndrome, but the over the top emotional reactions really bug me. Had it not been for the accent I would have guessed her to be American. From them I expect over-the-top look-at-me reactions, not so much from the English.

Anyway, JMS released a new commentary as well, this time for S02E16 ďIn the Shadow of Z'ha'dumĒ. This is much more to my liking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AVmEvGYlp8
babylonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th 22, 21:53   #14
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Quote:
You are talking my jam KOSHN.

I used to feel the same about way about Besser, but say what you will the first three Stooges' third men, Curly - Shemp - Besser, were unique in the trio. I love DeRita, but he definitely brought the least unique style to the trio.

Should we start a Stooges' Thread

And best Abbott and Costello movies......

MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)
MEET THE KILLER (1949)
HOLD THAT GHOST (1941)

Oh one more thing, I own several Stooges t-shirts that I regularly receive complements about. The odd thing is my newest acquisition has yet to be mentioned. It features Curly and the saying "I try to think and nothing happens." Hilarious right?! Well I have yet to receive one mention. I realized last week that I think it is because Curly is wearing a hat in the photo. I don't think people recognize it is him.
Just a quick reply. MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) and HOLD THAT GHOST (1941)
are two favorites of mine. Re. MEET THE KILLER (1949), I'm not sure if I've watched that one. However, I have all four of the Abbott and Costello movie collection volumes.

Maybe we could start a vintage comedy (feature length movies, short features, and TV) thread which could include The Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, the Andy Clyde short features, the short features in which Shemp starred or co-starred, etc..
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
Old April 16th 22, 01:28   #15
Looney
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonfan View Post

Maybe itís me being Dutch, maybe itís my Aspergerís syndrome, but the over the top emotional reactions really bug me. Had it not been for the accent I would have guessed her to be American. From them I expect over-the-top look-at-me reactions, not so much from the English.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Is this what an "over-the-top look-at-me" American Reaction looks like?!

So I've watch the first few Medusa videos and while I like her enthusiasm I have to say I'm not a fan of the jump-cutting reaction format.

Funny you mention American's "over-the-top look-at-me" attitude. I am co-producer of a little YouTube channel that I've been told suffers from one big issue - I have zero interest in giving people my "over-the-top look-at-me reactions" in front of the camera. My partner has no problem doing it himself, but he brings up every day how I need to start. I just want to be sure you know, BabylonFan, if I ever do decide to step in front of the camera I will HAVE to give "over-the-top look-at-me reactions" because I have to get people's attention. I'm not pretty enough for them to just want to see my face.

Quote:

are two favorites of mine. Re. MEET THE KILLER (1949), I'm not sure if I've watched that one. However, I have all four of the Abbott and Costello movie collection volumes.

Maybe we could start a vintage comedy (feature length movies, short features, and TV) thread which could include The Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, the Andy Clyde short features, the short features in which Shemp starred or co-starred, etc..
MEET THE KILLER is also known by how the title card read, MEET THE KILLER BORIS KARLOFF.

I REALLY need to see those Shemp shorts. I haven't seen enough Laurel and Hardy. I need to see more. While we're at it, should we throw in Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, The Ritz Brothers, The Marx Brothers, and of course Sir Charles Chaplin. (I'm honestly not the biggest Chaplin fan, but I do recognize his genius.)
Old April 16th 22, 09:34   #16
Springer
Telepath

Quote:

Anyway, JMS released a new commentary as well, this time for S02E16 ďIn the Shadow of Z'ha'dumĒ. This is much more to my liking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AVmEvGYlp8
We British have emotions too! lol

Seriously, I know what you mean about over-the-top reactions, but to me they're only over-the-top if they're not sincere, and I think medusa's are genuine and heartfelt.

Quote:
So I've watch the first few Medusa videos and while I like her enthusiasm I have to say I'm not a fan of the jump-cutting reaction format.
I believe the full-length episode reaction videos are on her Patreon page. The ones on YouTube are just edited down.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th 22, 23:03   #17
Karajorma
Commander

They're definitely real. Or she's completely wasted not working as an actress.

As for the jump-cuts - The full videos are available to patreons, it's one of reasons I signed up.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th 22, 20:09   #18
LateArrival
Commander

Do the commentaries that JMS posts on his Patreon (and later on Youtube) count as reaction videos?
Old April 21st 22, 10:55   #19
KoshN

Quote:
Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Is this what an "over-the-top look-at-me" American Reaction looks like?!

Funny you mention American's "over-the-top look-at-me" attitude. I am co-producer of a little YouTube channel that I've been told suffers from one big issue - I have zero interest in giving people my "over-the-top look-at-me reactions" in front of the camera. My partner has no problem doing it himself, but he brings up every day how I need to start. I just want to be sure you know, BabylonFan, if I ever do decide to step in front of the camera I will HAVE to give "over-the-top look-at-me reactions" because I have to get people's attention. I'm not pretty enough for them to just want to see my face.

Quote:

MEET THE KILLER is also known by how the title card read, MEET THE KILLER BORIS KARLOFF.

I REALLY need to see those Shemp shorts. I haven't seen enough Laurel and Hardy. I need to see more. While we're at it, should we throw in Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, The Ritz Brothers, The Marx Brothers, and of course Sir Charles Chaplin. (I'm honestly not the biggest Chaplin fan, but I do recognize his genius.)
Some Shemp and Andy Clyde and Shemp-solo short features are on the bonus DVD of The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection. The ones with Andy Clyde are 10 out of 10.
Old May 8th 22, 19:40   #20
Looney
Psi Cop

Quote:

Some Shemp and Andy Clyde and Shemp-solo short features are on the bonus DVD of The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection. The ones with Andy Clyde are 10 out of 10.
Ah yes, The Ultimate Collection, the one thing I haven't purchased because I've purchased everything else. (INCLUDING TWO NEW T-SHIRTS THAT JUST ARRIVED LAST WEEK - SHEMP FOR PRESIDENT and YOU'RE GIVING ME A HEADACHE (CURLY'S HEAD IN A PRESS)

WOW! I guess we have all been busy for awhile.

So here is a question I pose to anyone still regularly checking in. Do you prefer the reaction format or would you rather just have a five to ten minute video review of an episode?

I keep trying to get my friend to watch the show. It has been a struggle. One excuse he gives is that I haven't come up with a format we can use for YouTube.

So would you say reaction videos like these are best or say more of a Podcast format? And would you rather just hear from someone whom has never seen the show before or would you be more inclined to watch if it were someone who had never seen the show before with a long time fan?

He wants to do videos that react to multiple episodes, but it has become my thinking that attention spans die quickly after the first five minutes. So I lean more toward individual episode reviews that last between four and ten minutes.

BUT what I really want to know is your opinions.