• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Babylon 5 Preservation Project

Looney

Regular
Okay everyone here is something we should all enjoy....

The Babylon 5 Preservation Project

If you are not familiar with Jason Davis he as been around the B5 Universe for awhile. I'm not sure if he posts here, but you can find him over on JMS NEWs. He has been a contributor to the B5Books releases, but this is NOT one of their projects. He has always been great so I thought I better mention this to everyone so they can get behind it.

I'll back that, once I actually have some money. A shame the larger pledges are all gone, but it looks like it will get funded, which would be good news.

So Springer, why do you think the two of us have become the only people talking here?

Is it me?

Is there a conspiracy?

Do we need to worry about what has happened to our comrades?

Should I call someone?

(To everyone not posting . . . :p)

So I've pledged (after remembering I don't need the money right now for Kickstarter) and I was the 250th person to pledge. Just another $3000 needed!

So I've pledged (after remembering I don't need the money right now for Kickstarter) and I was the 250th person to pledge. Just another $3000 needed!

Yeah I am glad there is plenty of time left. Hope he gains some steam and gets there quick. I don't know what number I was. I'll have to try to look that up.

For those following along, the project was funded yesterday and it's up to:
$45,267

...as I type. Which means Jason will be able to include the spinoffs and movies as I recall.

I like what this guy is trying to do. Looks like he's overachieved on his funding which is great! I look forward to seeing this continue to progress.

Mmm. This managed to get my attention when the B5books emailed about this one. I'll think I'll have to kickstart this thing, still not sure though. As great as it sounds, I just have some reservations about this. Like, I know you will hate me for this, but do we need this? Like really? I mean I have all the JMS Scripts, Encyclopedia etc. stuff already and I can't think that this is more or less the same. OR is it?

All I can say is read here . . . . . Babylon 5 Preservation Project . . . . . and decide for yourself. There is a comments section so you should be able to ask Jason directly.

Perhaps I really should. This is one of the few B5 related projects that just doesn't feel... right.

I see it as a 'Making of...' book, which would be very different to the script books or the encyclopaedia. I think Jason Davis actually alludes to the previous David Bassom 'Creating Babylon 5' book, which only went up to the end of season 2, and also Jane Killick's books, but Davis' book is being done with a) the benefit of 20-25 years hindsight and b) no restrictions on what he can include in it, unlike the official books. I don't think we actually have a book like that yet, and while some of that info is already out there to an extent in various magazine articles and the B5scrolls website, nobody has ever collected it all together, plus it sounds like Davis has access to unreleased info too.

If anything, I think it's important to document a lot of the behind-the-scenes information in print, if only for posterity. Now if only it could be illustrated with concept sketches etc etc.

I was iffy over the encyclopaedia and ended up not buying it, but I'm very much in support of this book. Of course, YMMV.

Perhaps I really should. This is one of the few B5 related projects that just doesn't feel... right.

Well if you aren't interested you don't have to become a part of it. I mean it is just a book. There are plenty of other books. ;)

Inesval did it for me. Pledged the fifty bucks plus the shipping to the cold north. For real though, I reread the To Dream in the City of Sorrows about a year ago and the whole "welded the bed" thing just caught my attention. And now the B5books email with Inesval. God damnit Jason!

There you have it, with over 82000 dollars, this will be reality. It really managed to get a nice boost during the last couple of days. Now the waiting begins and if we're lucky, it'll be out next year. The best thing about this project is, that it's not going to be rushed. Gotta admire that nowadays.

I did back this one. It sounded fun and I always support looking into old stuff.

I am a bit sad that I did not buy the encyclopedia, but it was way out of my economic comfort zone unfortunately.

I did back this one. It sounded fun and I always support looking into old stuff.

I am a bit sad that I did not buy the encyclopedia, but it was way out of my economic comfort zone unfortunately.

They have released an affordable, black and white edition, all in one volume with access to the online multimedia, which you can buy from Amazon. I had reservations about buying the hardcover volumes, but for £40 I couldn't really say no to the budget edition!

I purchased the full edition, the online edition, and I am even tempted to buy this one, but I am kind of obsessed. :drool: :LOL: :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back