• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Short Stories

TheTriad

Beyond the rim
Does anyone know where I can get my grubby hands on copies of the Amazing Stories issues or the Babylon 5 magazines with the B5 short stories in them? Thanks.

Both B5 Magazine and Amazing Stories show up on ebay frequently, though right now none of the issues with B5 short stories seem to be out there. If you can attend a con with B5 guests, that may be your best bet right now.

Some comic book stores may carry that stuff too. I'd also recommend the In Valen's Name comic miniseries while you're there. I get a lot of Joe's stuff from Mile High Comics (www.milehighcomics.com) and they have listings for both magazines, and if they don't have a given issue in stock you can add it to your "want list". I've only ordered in-stock stuff so I don't know how that works.

I have all the issues of the latter-day Amazing Stories, but have only ever found one issue of B5 Magazine and it wasn't a short story issue. Mile High has one of the short-story issues in stock right now (#23 I think.) Fair warning, I may order it myself later this week if it's still there!

If you get desperate, look through the rec.arts.sf.tv.* groups on Usenet (groups.google.com if you're unfamiliar) and see where people post WTD (wanted) notices. Someone will almost certainly be willing to sell you an extra copy, though who knows at what price.

Finally, I understand that Del Rey has been trying to get the rights to publish all the B5 short stories in one volume, possibly with new material added. This is probably at least a year out (they want to see how well re-releasing books #7 and #9 goes) but keep your eyes on the Zocalo because they have a little section about Del Rey's progress. The Zocalo seems to have removed the bit about short stories in the last month so I don't know whether this is still true.

------------------

Most of the magazines are out of print but WHSmith in the UK had some back issues until recently. I ordered the bound comic books In Valen's Name and Shadows Past and Present, they came in about a week.

If I'm reading this correctly their email address is:

asmitd@btinternet.com

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheTriad:
Does anyone know where I can get my grubby hands on copies of the Amazing Stories issues or the Babylon 5 magazines with the B5 short stories in them? Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This may not help in the short term, but have you ever considered letting this guy know that you want them?
idea.gif

Steve Saffel ( SSaffel@randomhouse.com )

...and let him know you'd like to see Del Rey come out with an anthology of the short stories that were published in Amazing Stories and B5 Magazine, plus a few new Babylon 5 Short Stories by J. M. Straczynski, Anne McCaffrey, and Neil Gaiman. That's what we're trying to get Del Rey to do. Add your voice to ours.
smile.gif

List of the Short Stories
Title, Published In, Issue, Comments

The Shadow of His Thoughts, Straczynski, J. M. , Amazing Stories, Summer 1999, Number 597, The Londo Story

Genius Loci, Straczynski, J. M. , Amazing Stories, Winter 2000, Number 599, The Lyta / G'Kar Story

Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic, Straczynski, J. M. , Amazing Stories, Summer 2000, Number 602, The Marcus / Ivanova Story

Hidden Agendas, Straczynski, J. M. , Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine, May 2000, Number 22, The Ivanova/Warlock Destroyer/Ulkesh's Vorlon Transport/Sheridan/Lyta Story

True Seeker, Avery, Fiona, Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine, July 2000, Number 23, The Narn Story (carries on from episode 17 "Legacies" http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/017.html)

The Nautilus Coil, Keyes, J. Gregory, Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine, August 2000, Number 24, The Garibaldi/Lyta/Psi Corp/Vorlon story. Connects with "Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps"

If enough fans let Steve know that there is demand, those same fans may not have to scrounge around, looking under rocks and in haystacks for the existing six stories, and the rest of us who already have all six stories may get a few NEW stories.
wink.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

This is the same situation as the Crusade scripts:

PLENTY of people have them sitting on their hard drives right now, but out of an unprecedented respect for an author's (JMS)wishes they no longer circulate them openly.

If anyone still does distribute them, they are doing it in a much more covert manner nowadays.

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
This is the same situation as the Crusade scripts:

...out of an unprecedented respect for an author's (JMS) wishes ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unprecedented, but completely justified.
smile.gif

They probably only circulated them to their closest friends, and then with the stipulation that they went no further.
nono.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Turns out there were still a few copies out there on the web, not hidden at all, but finding them would be like that "14 words to make anyone fall in love with you" thing. Easy if you already know the words...

------------------

Back