• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lost Season Finale (SPOILERS)

Recoil

Regular
Who watched this and what did you think?

By far it was the best season finale Ive seen this year. I think it was good that (possibly) we are done with the whole hatch/button thing. This season certainly focused on it, but its time to move on to other bigger mysteries. I also am glad they showed us (at least to a point) of what caused their plane to crash.

Having Desmond as the backstory and bringing him back into things was a great touch. Even though we have only seen him for a short time I found myself liking his character. I hope he isn't dead, but who knows if he survived that or not.

Then we have the Statue foot with only 4 toes. WTF?

Then theres that big bird that did sound like it said Hurley's name. Can you say red herring? I think it was just a bird myself...

Micheal went from "good guy" to "dick" in only a couple short episodes didn't he?

Then we have The Others. I think its cool that the prisoner turned out to be their leader. We still dont know much about them, but they are at least revealing more and more.

Lastly, what was up with that Siberian looking snow-station that was monitoring for Electromagnetic anomolays and calling them in to Desmond's ex-girlfriend? Weird!

What did you guys think?

Re: Lost Season Finale (SP{OILERS)

I thought it was great.

I disagree Phony Henry is the leader. I think he outranks "Zeke", but, still reports up higher.

That bird was also in Last Year's Season finale shrieking Hurley's name (On the way back from the Black Rock)

I personally have never liked Michael, I think he's always been a major prick.

I agree; it was a good season finale. I too hope that they're done with the button pressing in the hatch. I figure that the giant magnet was used to screw with ship and plane instrumentation to sort of lead them around the island yet make them think they're going in a straight line all in order to keep the island isolated so whatever experiments were being run on the island wouldn't be interfered with. It would seem, possibly, that the focused-on mystery of next season will be focusing more on the Others and less on the hatch, though I doubt we've see everything of all the hatches on the island yet though. I was surprised to see the commanding officer guy who had captured Sayid in Iraq to be the guy on the island that Desmond dealt with. As for Michael, I've always thought he was an ass.

I was surprised to see the commanding officer guy who had captured Sayid in Iraq to be the guy on the island that Desmond dealt with.

THAT was who he was. I knew he was in Lost somewhere before, but I couldn't place it. Yea, he mentioned he was a spook in a previous job, and that is what he was doing when he trained Syaid in Iraq. Good catch, I couldn't place him but knew Id seen him before.

Funny how ALL the characters in this show are intertwined isnt it?

It took me a handful of minutes watching him in the episode last night before I could place him, but I knew he had been on there before. I am quite intrigued with how the characters are all so connected; I wonder what the reason behind it is (or if there is a reason beyond it just being kind of fun to play spot the connection).

We also learned that Desmond and Libby had met before and that she had been married. I wonder if she ended up in the crazy home with Hurley from depression over her husband's death?

It took me a handful of minutes watching him in the episode last night before I could place him, but I knew he had been on there before. I am quite intrigued with how the characters are all so connected; I wonder what the reason behind it is (or if there is a reason beyond it just being kind of fun to play spot the connection).

We also learned that Desmond and Libby had met before and that she had been married. I wonder if she ended up in the crazy home with Hurley from depression over her husband's death?

If she even really was married.

Her husband's name was David, and Hurley's imaginary friend was also named Dave.

Do you all also recognize Rose's Faith Healer (A couple weeks back) that Bernard took her to was Wayne Pygram (Scorpius from Farscape) and that the guy who told Eko (In Eko's last flashback) he was a fraud (The drowned girl's father) Richard Malkin was the same Psychic that sent Claire onto Flight 815?

I didn't realize that the faith healer was Wayne; I wish I had paid more attention now as Scorpius was such an intriguing character. But I did get Claire's psychic being the father of the drowned girl Eko investigated.

Yea, I knew Wayne Pygram was going to be guest starring, but, didn't know when, and I've never seen him without his Scory makeup. So, when I saw the guy who looked like Patrick Stewart, I recognized his voice and body language. If I didn't know to expect him, I would've never recognized him.

My mom sat through the whole DVD set of Season 1 (In about 3 or 4 days) and knew she recognized Danielle, but, couldn't figure it out until I told her later it was Delenn. Another big B5 fan on another site didn't recognize Danielle on her first appearance either.

I wonder what the consequences are of the EM being shut down. Does that mean no more healing? Is anything that's been healed (Rose's cancer, Locke's legs, Jin swimmers) now going to unheal, or were they permanently healed?

I had theorized that EM might also be responsible for the "sickness" (IE: Insanity) but, I'm not so sure about that.

I do still wonder if the numbers had another purpose, which is to manipulate the laws of probability, and transmitting them through the EM throughout the island assisted in making freaky thngs a common occurence.

Do you all also recognize Rose's Faith Healer (A couple weeks back) that Bernard took her to was Wayne Pygram (Scorpius from Farscape) and that the guy who told Eko (In Eko's last flashback) he was a fraud (The drowned girl's father) Richard Malkin was the same Psychic that sent Claire onto Flight 815?

That one I did catch. I wonder if there is some meaning behind all these people being connected, or if its just for fun or to mess with the viewers. Could be just some symbolic thing like "we are all connected" or something.

A good point about the EM being shut down could mean a few things. As stated above, maybe that EM was what was keeping the island hidden. It getting out of control is what probably caused their plane to crash, but it operating safely had to have some function.

The faith healer said there are special places in the world where you can draw energy. He told Rose that his place wasn't hers --- clearly the island is.

Its been hinted at that the island has some sort of special EM energy around it or about it. It may be what is causing the healing powers and there may be even more to it. The question is that now that the device (whatever it really did) is shut down, what will happen to the naturally un-checked EM energy that probably drew the Dharma people there in the first place?

• I'm wondering if the father of Desmond's old girlfriend has something to do with Hanso/Dharma. Maybe that's why she's got a couple Portuguese-speaking fellas looking for EM surges around the world. He could be financially backing the project, while "Henry" runs it on site.

• If the "blast" from the failsafe device didn't kill Charlie, it probably didn't kill Locke or Desmond, either. But I'm not exactly sure what the failsafe DID. If there was an initial detonation that started the failsafe, then maybe Desmond won't be back. I'm not betting on it, though. The weird white glow has me confused.

• A couple shots from the last few minutes:

aeda544rrijdbbms5.jpg

aeda6c4pmh3f2uryt.jpg

In the first pic, the computer reads:

>/ 7418880
Electromagnetic
Anomaly
Detected

If you multiply 4 x 8 x 15 x 16 x 23 x 42, you get 7,418,880.

I spent a lot of time trying to decipher the text on the screen in the 2nd pic. I think it reads:

Delivery Subsystem 550 Requested action taken:
> Received: by 10.48.74.11 with SMTP id alter1134484mfg;
> Received: by 10.29.34.2 with HTTP
> Message-ID: Subject: AUTOMATED TEST
> MIME-Version: 2.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> Content-disposition: inline
>

1bbybby 77111790 ****system normal**** 76555#772#0

xxxxxxx730 7711345 ****system normal**** QK10027005#341

TEST COMPLETE

Delivery Subsystem 550 Requested action taken:
> Sent: by 10.28.724.18 with SMTP id alter1134484mfg;
> Sent: to 10.49.31.1 with HTTP

Electromagnetic
I assume he was sending the message seen on the screen in picture 1, with coordinates, of course... and look at the envelopes next to the screen. Why are they POSTMARKED, complete with return addresses & stamps, but NO MAILING ADDRESS?

The caption "So it's not a false alarm this time?!" could refer to the incident where Desmond accidentally killed Kelvin, and had to run back to push the button, causing the EM pulse that brought flight 815 down... the button eventually worked and discharged the machine, so the guys might have read it on their instruments as a false alarm...

• Libby now has a tie to Desmond. We might still find out why she was in the funnyfarm with Hurley.

• How come the hatch door came crashing down onto the beach but nothing else from the hatch was in the sky?

• What about "Cerberus?" Its only appearance this season, if I recall, was when Eko saw it.
- secret spy stations -- I get it
- giant electromagnets -- I get it
- push the button to discharge buildup -- I get it
- massive EM discharge downs a plane and confuses ships -- I get it
- spooky black mist that sounds like some old machine & can rip trees out of the ground and kill pilots -- I DON'T GET IT

• Michael was supposed to lead them back to the Others camp, but when Sayid set off the signal, Jack said it was miles away instead of close by... and Michael acted like he'd never seen that big pile o' journals before. So how come they were so far off course?

• When Kate said, "we're being followed, Sawyer, just keep smiling and look at me" ... then Sawyer looked up instead and got that big scowl on his face... I LOL'd

• Why did Kelvin never clean up the blood from where his friend shot himself?

Widmore is a Mega Corp (Widmore being Penny and her father's last name). Hanso site says something about Widmore being on the Board of Directors (I don't visit all the "Official sites" due to so many red herrings, and trying to keep track of actual canon) See background Easter Eggs in Charlie's flashback Fire+Water for a Widmore sign.

I really liked the finale. It's nice to finally get answers to a few things. I too really liked the Desmond character. Hopefully he survived and we'll see more of him next season. That giant foot thing really confused me too.

I'm still trying to figure out why Henry said 'we're the good guys'. I'm sure we'll find out more next season. I'm guessing that they really are letting Michael and Walt go, but to where, I'm not sure.

I liked the finale. I expected to be pissed off like the season 1 finale. It's not a real cliffhanger if you've known for several episodes they're going to do it. I was so pissed when they didn't show us anything. But this time around they did it right. Resolved some things and opened up new things, and showed us just enough to wet our appetite.

Well, they've always maintained that Season 1 we wouldn't get much more than confused, Season 2 would start revealing, and Season 3 is where it really gets going. But, that's pretty much the plot flow of any long term arc'd mystery show. Season 1 generally just throws a bunch of mysteries out at you and gets you familiar with the canvas

A_Ranger, what pissed you off about Season 1 Finale? The fact that they ended looking down the hatch entryway, rather than going inside?

How come the hatch door came crashing down onto the beach but nothing else from the hatch was in the sky?

My guess here LH was because the door was the only metal object that was OUTSIDE the hatch that wasn't attached to anything. Remember, it was sitting on the ground (when Eko lowered himself in). Something in the EM caused it to shoot away from the hatch area. Everything else that was flying around was INSIDE the hatch (the forks and stuff) and as such it was trapped inside. The door was on the outside so it went on a little trip.

Thats how I figured it anyway. Nice work with the pics and stuff!

A_Ranger, what pissed you off about Season 1 Finale? The fact that they ended looking down the hatch entryway, rather than going inside?

Yeah, pretty much. We knew they were going to go down in that hatch ever since it was discovered. So to end on that I thought was pretty crappy. I was expecting them to go down and we'd just get a small tease of what's in there.

In season 2 finale, we knew something bad would happen to Jack and company, but not necessarily what exactly, and if Michael and Walt would be let go. Also, they brought in that wierd thread with Desmond's ex and the guys monitoring for EMPs, so we were acually teased with something new. Very satisfying as opposed to season 1 finale.

Then we have the Statue foot with only 4 toes. WTF?

Obviously the race that once inhabited the island worshipped Homer Simpson. :)

Here's what I would posit as the first draft of a "grand unified theory" of the Island:

1) There is a magnetic anomaly on or beneath the island that has all sorts of strange properties and which may be a purely natural phenomenon. It certainly pre-dates Hanso's interest. The fact that the anomaly exists drew Hanso to the island, they didn't create it, and they don't understand it. (Though they tried to harness it.) It is also possible that the hypothetical four-toed race that inhabited the island long ago created the magnetic phenomenon, or at least did as Hanso has done and built hidden machinery to exploit it.

2) One of the inherent properties of the island is the force field which renders both the main island and its immediate surroundings - including one or more other islands or atolls - effectively invisible at most wavelengths of electromagnetic engery, including visible light.

3) The field is not uniform. Along some axes ships and planes (or other objects with sufficient metal content that get close enough) can be drawn into it. Along others (at least one of which is known) ships, etc. can leave.

4) The EM phenomenon affect biological, as well as physical systems. This would explain the unexpected healings (Rose, Locke, Jin) and the quarrantine.

5) Hanso/Dharma somehow discovered the island (or islands) and built a research facility aimed at exploiting all aspects of the natural EM anomaly. To this end they brought specimens, including human volutneers, on which to conduct various experiments even while they were building machinery to control or modify IMA-1. (Island Magnetic Anomaly 1 for those of you who haven't seen 2001 a hundred times. )

6) In addition to seeking to extend the Human lifespan (a search for the Fountain of Youth, in effect, and legends of earlier visitors to the island may have been the source of that idea) and cure disease, Hanso was probably seeking to induce, study and exploit paranormal powers like telepathy, telekinesis and teleportation. It may be such psi abilities are able to defeat the islands defenses and are what allowed some ships in times past to find the island, and to leave it. (Because if someone hadn't been there and escaped, it could never have come to Hanso's attention.) Maybe the heading Henry gave Michael is arbitrary, and that the real reason he is able to leave the island is that he has Walt with him. Or maybe you need to both be on the proper heading and have someone with psi abilities in order to escape. Either way, that would explain why the Others wanted Walt, and why they lost interest in the raft after they siezed Walt. They would have known that there was no way the raft could escape the island. (Presumably Henry gave Michael a heading that would intersect with a major shipping lane and lead to rescue, since there is no way that boat held food, water or fuel to cross any substantial amount of ocean, and it is unlikely that IMA-1 lies very close to any major landmass or inhabited area.)

7) There was an "incident", perhaps two, which changed everything. I think whatever Hanso/Dharma did to modify IMA-1 started a runaway magnetic reaction, like the one we saw when Locke prevented Eko from entering the numbers. This may have been the result of bad design or a technical failure in Dharma's equipment, or they may have triggered a self-destruct mechanism left behind by the Ancient Race that used tolive on the Island. Dharma's equipment was somehow responsible. They had the fail-safe switch to disable all of their gear (perhaps permanently), but they didn't want to use it unless absolutely necessary, because that would ruin the experiment and set them back years, perhaps decades. They somehow figured out that they could reset the doomsday countdown and implemented the number system. (That may have really been built as a psychological test and the hardware been adapated on short-notice to staving off catastrophe. Probably no one expected the system to be in use for more than a couple of days, as they would have probably called for help and sat back to wait for "him" to arrive and save them all.

8) Nothing about the Dharma initiative suggests that they had access to truly advanced technologies, much less the kind of super science implied by the "monster" which whoever drew the hatch map called a "security system". One workable hypothesis is that the original inhabitants of the island did have access to such technology, and were an advanced civilization along the lines posited in some versions of the Atlantis myth. Which would mean the "monster" is their security system. It may be running on automatic, with the original people of the island either extinct or long gone. Perhaps they hid the island from view when they abandoned it. Or there may be some remnant of them (perhaps living apart, perhaps infiltrated into the Losties or the Others) that still directs it.

9) There are suggestions that the "monster" may be telepathic, perhaps even sentient, since it seems to either read memories or to induce people to recall things. Maybe the moster is the one who determines who is "good" and who "bad". Maybe the monster is one of those hoary SF cliches, the automatic defense system that goes on carrying out the last instructions of its masters. It could also be the artificial intelligence or system that achieves genuine sentience on its own, as a by-product of all it learns. Either way, it may be working to ensure that what happens on the island stays on the island, by keeping the outside world from finding the place or using its advanced technology for evil purposes. (Hence killing the pilot before he can tell Jack and company too much, scanning and releasing both Locke and Ecko, who seem fundamentally begnin in their intentions, etc.)

10) It may be that the Others see themselves as "the good guys" because they've discovered some of the island's secrets and intend to keep them. They aren't overtly hostile to the Losties, they're just mostly indifferent to them until and unless they do something to get in the way of their plans. Conversely they may want to exploit the discoveries themselves when the right moment arrives to escape.

Thoughts? Corrections? Derisive laughter?

:)

Regards,

Joe

Addendum 29 May 2006 19:19 EDT

Michael was supposed to lead them back to the Others camp, but when Sayid set off the signal, Jack said it was miles away instead of close by... and Michael acted like he'd never seen that big pile o' journals before. So how come they were so far off course?

Michael was never supposed to lead them to the Other's camp. He was supposed to lead Jack and company into a trap miles away from the camp. They no doubt gave him directions to someplace he'd never been, which is why he didn't recognize the pile of tubes. They weren't going to take any chances with the Losties. They wanted them in a controlled area when they sprung the trap, and they wanted them all alive. That's why they had people in position to shadow them, and why they turned and ran rather than takiing the lot of them out when the Losties opened fire on them. They probably had to spring the trap a bit early since they (probably) would have been taken by surprise by Sayyid's signal, but it al worked out from their perspective.

Back