• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The long waiting

Almir

Regular
It's been 50 days since Richard Biggs passed way and a month since the last comment from JMS about TMoS.
I know he was kind enough to give us little bits and pieces about the project and the reason of a so delayed announcement. But something still bugs me after waves and waves of "B5 bad luck" in the last years.
Is there any chance of TMoS to be cancelled?
I think this is something for the experts on this board.
It may be stupid, but after all this silence and JMS slowly returning to his regular posts at the moderated newsgroup, what are the chances of this happens?
This is so painfull.
Why they (WB) at least don't gives a date, like "On September/25/2020, we'll be making an announcement regarding Babylon 5" or something like that? :confused:

Almir

I don't know if its been cancelled or not. I would say that if it has been JMS seems to be the type to just come out and say it.

While I agree that Richard Biggs passing away may have delayed some things, Ill admit I'm more than frustrated at the lack of any announcements.

First we heard that we would probably hear more info after the first of the year (January)

Second, we later heard to expect something around the "Ides of May" (which is now 2 months in the past).

Its the middle of July and we know little more than we did in December, and still no announcement which seemed to be forthcoming in May.

I dont know if its a BAD sign, but its certainly getting annoying. :)

I think it is a bad sign, if only because B5 related projects seem to have about as much luck as a turkey on thangsgiving. I am skeptical that this project will come to pass.

Or perhaps the 3rd time is the charm. Although If I had money to wager I would not put it on this project.

I think it is a bad sign, if only because B5 related projects seem to have about as much luck as a turkey on thangsgiving.

:LOL: :LOL:

There's plenty to keep you occupied here whilst we wait for news, good or bad! And 'there is always the possiblitity of hope".

Pessimists...naysayers...doommongers... get over it!

No wonder B5 has had bad luck in the past...look how fast fans give up. :rolleyes:

This is not an exact science...it is the film industry...and projects get delayed...announcements are postponed for many, many reasons. It does not mean the project is shelved. Hell, Indy 4 was pushed back another year and that's with major players like Spielberg, Ford and Lucas behind it.

If there were bad news (which I don't believe for a second), then JMS would've let us know something. He has not "returned to his regular posts" since to return would mean you had left...which he never did.

These things take time, folks. God...did you not watch the series? :confused: Are you like the Narn...have you learned nothing! :confused:

B5's previous problems had nothing to do with this project and were due to events beyond WB's control...this time it is under WB's control directly. No middlemen to cause problems and drama.

With any other film, you would not have known it was in the early stages of pre-production at all! You would know nothing about it until it was announced. You only know about the early, pre-announcement stages of TMoS because JMS has let you in on the secret. This is nothing unusual...I'm more than certain they are trying to decide on the best timing for any announcement in order to maximize the press coverage. It's called PR. It's done all the time.

Quit your whining and worrying. Expect it when it comes. Until then keep in mind...you should be a believing fan not a fair weather one...and hold true to one of the greatest concepts layed into B5....

FAITH MANAGES!

CE

I'm with CE on this one. Let's not be hasty about this. It's a movie. A big one. Not a TV-series or something like that. It will be a feature movie. Things of that magnitude require some.. how to put this.. tweaking a bit more. There are NDA's etc. which must be taken into account when dealing with this "sensitive" project. :rolleyes:

And besides, don't you have anything else to do? I mean there are other movies, other series. C'mon you're living in a real world, there are a lot of other things to do or to even consider of doing and helluva lot of happening all the time :confused: :cool:. Yeah, we are B5 fans but c'mon... B5 aint our life. I hope. I, for example, haven't even noticed the "dark period of no information"...

If you have nothing else to do... Well, go to your local music store and buy new Nightwish album called Once.

:LOL: I'm more afraid that I'll look away, miss the announcement and what little fanfare Warner Bros. might devote to B5:TMoS, and miss the movie because wasn't in "wide release" or something. :rolleyes:

Ditto for the new B5 novels. If I don't keep an eye out for them here, will I miss 'em entirely? The only reason I was aware of the Del Rey trilogies was because I was keeping an eye on upcoming B5 stuff here, and elsewhere (e.g. rastb5m, Sci-Fi's B5 bboards, etc.). If I'd been relying on Del Rey's marketing blitz, I STILL wouldn't know that the trilogies exist.

B5's previous problems had nothing to do with this project and were due to events beyond WB's control...this time it is under WB's control directly. No middlemen to cause problems and drama.

With any other film, you would not have known it was in the early stages of pre-production at all! You would know nothing about it until it was announced. You only know about the early, pre-announcement stages of TMoS because JMS has let you in on the secret. This is nothing unusual...I'm more than certain they are trying to decide on the best timing for any announcement in order to maximize the press coverage. It's called PR. It's done all the time.

CE

For me this part that I quoted was the kind of answer I was expecting from old members. Everything else I pass.

Almir

And besides, don't you have anything else to do? I mean there are other movies, other series. C'mon you're living in a real world, there are a lot of other things to do or to even consider of doing and helluva lot of happening all the time :confused: :cool:. Yeah, we are B5 fans but c'mon... B5 aint our life. I hope. I, for example, haven't even noticed the "dark period of no information"...

If you have nothing else to do... Well, go to your local music store and buy new Nightwish album called Once.

I don't get it.
What are you talking about?
We write about whatever we want, as long as B5 related.
When you say that we have nothing else to do, what about the people that wrote and reply on 2 billion other topics on this board :confused:
I thing the whole meaning of this board is to exchange ideas, ask questions, make jokes, speculate and talk endlessly about something we like. In this case Babylon 5.

So if you have something else to do, go for it.
Don't bother reply to a topic you don't like. ;)

And try to buy a better cd.There's a group called TEN and their new cd is Return to Evermore. You should try it.
Forget about Nightwish. :)

Almir

Yea dude, I don't know what CE's deal was. I personally didn't say it was a bad or good sign, just that I didnt know either way. My main point is the waiting for an announcement is getting aggravating...which it is. Im sure Im not the only one who feels this --- even knowing that there is good reason for the waiting --- doesnt make the waiting easier.

And the comment about not having other things to wait for...really is out of place dude. This is a BABYLON 5 BBS. We talk about B5 stuff here. TMoS is probably the biggest news in B5 land right now. So talking about being impatient waiting for it is very appropiate for here. Yes I have plenty of other things going on in my life, and things that I am waiting for...but I dont post about that stuff here, I post about B5 stuff here.

Seemed to make perfect sense to me...

Um...I was only stating fact. Um...old member? Check the date I joined. I'm not a "first one" here. I just happen to be attempting to reassure people with my knowledge, not to worry...things are fine.

But if you don't want me in the conversation...showing logical arguments, then fine. I can butt out if you like...but I believe it was you who said:

I thing the whole meaning of this board is to exchange ideas, ask questions, make jokes, speculate and talk endlessly about something we like. In this case Babylon 5.

Funny :confused:I thought my post was doing exactly that. :confused:

And if what I posted is what you expect from an old-timer...then perhaps what I posted has nothing to do with how long I've been around, but instead has to do with my knowledge of the film industry. What I said is fact as far as how things work and what is most likely going on...if you don't want to know facts...or learn how things work...then that's fine...but don't attack me because I state them...just don't read it.

CE

Um...I was only stating fact. Um...old member? Check the date I joined. I'm not a "first one" here. I just happen to be attempting to reassure people with my knowledge, not to worry...things are fine.

But if you don't want me in the conversation...showing logical arguments, then fine. I can butt out if you like...but I believe it was you who said:

Funny :confused:I thought my post was doing exactly that. :confused:

And if what I posted is what you expect from an old-timer...then perhaps what I posted has nothing to do with how long I've been around, but instead has to do with my knowledge of the film industry. What I said is fact as far as how things work and what is most likely going on...if you don't want to know facts...or learn how things work...then that's fine...but don't attack me because I state them...just don't read it.
CE

Sorry, CE but you got it all wrong.
In my reply to your post I only wanted to make sure that THAT part of your reply was OK for me. Really.
Like I said, the rest of your post, I pass.
I never attacked you. It's your opinion and I respect.
What you quoted was my answer for the other member that was talking nonsense after you (check again).
As for the "old member", maybe I put it wrong.
What I meant was "experts of this board", like I mentioned on my inicial post.

Now, how about we forget all this and move along? :)

Almir

Okey Dokey doggie daddy. :D Peace, love, and Babylonigasms! :eek:

All is well...fear not. I do seem to newbies to be one who's been here for long time...and times I feel like an old-timer (or as I like to call them...the "first ones"). ;)

The people of this forum...though I at times argue with them, are ones I consider friends and family...oh...and "family.: :D

Peace!

CE

one more thing JMS maybe rewriting his script around the death of Rick Biggs which may account for the silence.Another reason could be is the WB is considering recasting the part Dr Franklin personally I don't want to see the character done by another actor but I am not sure how much say he has in this considering WB owns babylon 5 and the characters. Just a thought .

ColonyEarth said:
"No wonder B5 has had bad luck in the past...look how fast fans give up. :rolleyes:"

I fought harder than anyone on this list to save Crusade. "Give up" was not in my vocabulary.

That experience has taught me, among other things, that signed contracts don't mean very much and that no news is sometimes bad news.

I don't get it.
What are you talking about?

Yep, you don't get it as you wrote. You misunderstood mine point completely here. Somehow you thought that my message was offensive? Yeah... Riiight...

We write about whatever we want, as long as B5 related.
When you say that we have nothing else to do, what about the people that wrote and reply on 2 billion other topics on this board :confused:

Yes you do write whatever you want. Did I asked you to stop? Did I said something like "don't write anymore" or what :confused:? Apparently I didn't, so what are you bitching about? My point was that there is nothing worng with B5:TMoS. It will be announced when the time is right. And right now I think that JMS has a lot of other things to do.

ColonyEarth said:
"No wonder B5 has had bad luck in the past...look how fast fans give up. :rolleyes:"

I fought harder than anyone on this list to save Crusade. "Give up" was not in my vocabulary.

That experience has taught me, among other things, that signed contracts don't mean very much and that no news is sometimes bad news.

Tim...please...don't take this wrong...but this isn't Crusade...we're not dealing with TNT...or WB not wanting to share it's ownership with another channel here. This is WB operating under its own banner. No middle-men here.

I know you were on the front lines in the attempt to save Crusade...and I applaud you...I did my part as well with letters and emails. That was a quagmire beyond our control.

Don't compare that situation to this one...as JMS would say...that's apples and oranges.

I can understand holding some reservation...but not having no faith at all. How JMS dealt with fans and releasing info back then was even vastly different than how he does it now. He wouldn't have said anything, had he not been certain enough to do so.

As I've said...as fans of JMS, we're privy to info prior to the usual timing of any other film. That may make it seem like things aren't going well, but it's only an illusion because we knew something sooner than we would've on any other project, thanks to JMS.

"Faith Manages" my friends. And Tim...if JMS' hints are correct...you should happy, since it looks like we'll be getting some of the Crusade arc in TMoS. :D

Peace,
CE

Yes you do write whatever you want. Did I asked you to stop? Did I said something like "don't write anymore" or what :confused:? Apparently I didn't, so what are you bitching about? My point was that there is nothing worng with B5:TMoS. It will be announced when the time is right. And right now I think that JMS has a lot of other things to do.

My friend, are you living in a parallel universe?
Look again in your first reply.
Here is the especific part of that:

And besides, don't you have anything else to do? I mean there are other movies, other series. C'mon you're living in a real world, there are a lot of other things to do or to even consider of doing and helluva lot of happening all the time

What in the wordl this means?
Please enlight me.
Riiiiight

Almir

As I've said...as fans of JMS, we're privy to info prior to the usual timing of any other film. That may make it seem like things aren't going well, but it's only an illusion because we knew something sooner than we would've on any other project, thanks to JMS.
CE

I think that's the crucial point.
It's possible that we're like spoiled child.

Almir

Back