• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Firefly Season 2 possibility?

Recoil

Regular
No, this isn't necessairly another "grain of salt" thread. This is something that I found on the Internet. I've also heard that this was a "possibility" of something they may be trying to do. With DVD sales for Serenity very strong, and even the Firefly series getting a second life on the shelves, perhaps they decided this might be a good medium to try. Also, the industry may very well be willing to "experiement" with this sort of medium for delivering TV and feel that the Firefly fanbase is probably the type of people to embrace it.

Points of discussion:

1) Is this for real, or someone's pipe dream? I.E. Does anyone know of Joss and company are seriously pushing for this, or is this a fansite trying to garner hope and interest?

2) Will this medium work and is this something we could be seeing more of in the near future?

3) General comments.

Firefly Season 2

Lastly, all fans of anything Firefly and Serenity, please fill out a profile and help spread the word. Hey, it couldn't hurt. :)

Warning, Serenity spoiler below:

<font color="#081640">I like to see people with the balls to kill off main characters in movies, but if this really does happen It's going to really suck that Wash had to bite the big one in serenity.</font>

The spoiler code doesn't work. Which is fine with me, I saw Serenity, but might make sense to edit in a better spoiler warning - a few dozen empty lines or so :D

Warning, Serenity spoiler below:

Here's how you do spoiler code.

<font color="#081640">I like to see people with the balls to kill off main characters in movies, but if this really does happen It's going to really suck that Wash had to bite the big one in serenity.</font>

<font color="#081640">
Wash and Shepherd Book.
</font>

Well, at least, I can't see it on my display. How about the rest of you? I used the Photoshop sampling eyedropper, found background color to be color: #081657, which "theoretically" should provide a perfect match for background, but that I could still see a bit, and then tweaked the blue to color: #081640, which I can't see at all.

Hm.. I guess we'll see. I wouldn't mind seeing Firefly continue in some shape or form on TV, but I'm not hugely bothered about it anymore. And I'm rather preferring to take the "not too likely" approach for now anyway for whatever rumours, to avoid disappointment if they don't materialise.

Well, at least, I can't see it on my display. How about the rest of you? I used the Photoshop sampling eyedropper, found background color to be color: #081657, which "theoretically" should provide a perfect match for background, but that I could still see a bit, and then tweaked the blue to color: #081640, which I can't see at all.
Unfortunately actual colour based things don't really work on a board with very different stylesheets people can choose from. I use the "desert" stylesheet for example, on which, it being a sandy-colour background, the spoiler-coded text showed up just fine and just as visibly as normal text.

As I understand it, Joss would love to be able to continue the Firefly story. If there's any possibility of him doing that, I imagine he'll jump on it.

But I also don't believe anything about a resurrection of Firefly until I hear it from Joss himself.

Recoil, I'm pretty sure I saw this same thing on SciFi Wire as well. So, if it is a pipe dream, it's a well orchestrated one.

Thing is...this guy's apprently on the level. So it's not a hoax as such. And he does, apparently, have some relevant business connections (producing things) albeit nothing on this kind of scale. Also, he has engaged with fans on message boards, and seems to be getting the support of other fan-based campaigns.

Buuuut....Joss' people say he hasn't been in touch, & he has no comment. Also, his proposed deal suggests a first refusal for Fox...but Joss has vowed never to work with Fox again.

Essentially he's talking about producing 1 or 2 episodes as a "pilot" for a 2nd series. But there are already 14 episodes and a movie to do that, so a pilot isn't necessary.

It smacks of naive enthusiasm to me...

VB

Ultimately, Serenity got made largely because some suit some profit potential in it. If people do that with Firefly Season 2, then great. I think it will be time to move on myself...

Specifically it was a Universal exec who loved Firefly. If the people over at SciFi channel could get their heads out of their asses -- that's assuming, of course, that they ever had heads -- they'd see that Firefly could be their new flagship show without half trying.

Serenity wasn't quite financially viable enough, I'm afraid. I believe $80 million was the magic number it had to reach to make a sequel worthwhile. I haven't seen any hard numbers recently, but the US box office take was under $40 million. International ticket sales help, of course, but maybe not enough. Or maybe the studio wanted $80 mil. from the US alone. DVD sales are still running fairly strong. Over at amazon a few days ago, the movie was #24 in DVD sales overall, #6 in the Action/Adventure category, and #1 in Sci-Fi. There was also a surge in sales of the Firefly box set round about December. So it was a moneymaker.

I think there's no question we'll see something from the Firefly 'verse again some day, but whether or not it'll be filmed is a different question. Joss is making a habit of doing comics to fill in gaps (he's come out with a comic-book "prequel" to Buffy, with a sequel in the works). The Firefly comics reportedly bridge the gap between show and movie very well. So we'll have more of that at the very least.

In terms of more movies and more shows... that's much more iffy. Not impossible, because Firefly's already come back from the dead more than once, but iffy. Personally I think that if the Sci-Fi channel had any brains they'd buy up the rights and make more. Between that and BSG they'd really dominate. But with the exception of Galactica, when was the last time Sci-Fi Channel showed any intelligence at all?

Back