• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dr Who - Season 30 (4) [SPOILERS]

Re: Dr Who - Season 30 (4)

I think we're done with the Sontarans this year. Perhaps that's something we could see when the regular series picks up again in '10, though. Hopefully, if the two ever do meet, it'll be a little less one-sided than Doomsday's clash of baddies. We get the Judoon, at least.. and they're somewhat Sontaran-ish. If I recall, they may have something to do with the whole Shadow Proclamation thing.

There are some very unusual spoilers regarding Daleks, though.

Garvorkin, if you want more Moffat, watch his six part Jekyll mini series, or any of his previous (Hugo winning) Who work (The Dr Dances, Blink etc). He also wrote for the original Coupling, a great UK sit-com that was batardised into an american version. Watch the Brit version. I would rather have him doing Torchwood than TRD and Chris Chibnall any day.

The Judoon are there to enforce the Shadow Procolomation aren't they, and the Crucible will be involved ? Expecting great things anyway...

Doctor, I totally agree on your take about some fans and him having relationships. Its always been implied he has, just watch City of Death.

( By the way, taking to you about a character called the Doctor is beginning to screw with my little mind. ;) )

Last edited:

With regardst o River Song, I personally think they end up married, Alex Kingston played it as if she was in love with him. In my mind, a lot of the plot from Forest of the Dead was based loosely on concepts from on the wonderful book, the Time Travellers Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. Read it, its fantastic.

This kind of dynamic could work well in a new Moffat produced Who, although the audience and the Dr knowing the final fate of any relationship will add a tragic element, just like that book.

Also mods, can we get a spoiler warning in the title of this thread ?

(Edited to make some sense)

Last edited:

I did see Jekyll, Moffat wrote it it was quite good? Well then , I would say that things are looking better for Torchwood. I seem to recall talk of James Nesbit the Doctor. he would have been a very interesting choice. He's a terrific actor. He could also play the Master as well.

Last edited:

Yes, if not the Dr, then certainly the Master.

Folk in the UK of a certain age will remember him from Press Gang, a great childrens show with some very adult wriiting. In the same way that RTD did the great Century Falls and Dark Season, this was Moffat setting up his writing style in a seemingly innocent environment. It was great, or at least, thats gow I remember it.

For me, the changes to Torchwood will be great, I love the two new characters incoming and could not stand the two that left. I hope they make it brighter, cheerier and use Jack to good effect when he turns up.

I don't know if they ever allow this but there two writers that i would love to see Pen Torchwood episodes, Frank Spotnitz of Xfiles fame and David Greenwalt ofrom Angel,Hell wonder if Chirs Cater could do a Torchwood Episode? Im just think out loud on this one thats all.

Televsion writer that i admired most of all was Nigel Kneal, and His Quatermass Series, and movie adaptation, best of which was the !958 television version Quatermass and the Pit, that one stands out as one of the finest science fiction television drams ever done, i think of Quatermass as a precursor to both X Files and Torchwood. was wondering if you ever seen that 6 part serial, its terrific.

Last edited:

I have just one problem with that theory: I've been lurking on Outpost Gallifrey/DWF since before the switchover, and in that time it has become rather painfully obvious to me that many Doctor Who fans are extremely allergic to the idea of The Doctor having intimate feelings for anyone.

I didn't say that I was against the Doctor marrying, and the theory doesn't preclude that either. It's an interesting theory on when the Doctor would use his name.

I like interesting theories, and this one was nicely thought out as well.

I don't see the problem with the Doctor having a relationship, I think it adds an interesting dynamic to the show.

The episode has show a way for the Timelords to survive. They could be on a hard disk somewhere.

History can be rewritten, but at a cost, temporal paradox, which from what gather is not a particularly good thing to cause. It is possible that the effects of the time might get undone, causing some type of reset, I have head the back up disk theory on the Timelords , I think it was mentioned in a Dr who novel, my memory on this one is not at good.

Even that might cause a temporal paradox issue of some kind, because the doctor has gone into the future where according to history the Timelords are gone.

I seem to recall fro example, he could not go back in time and prevent Gallifrey's destruction because in his case that would involve crossing his own time line, which I believe can cause paradox problems as well. But he's is the question that still puzzels me, If the Timelords can see all of history even their own, how is it that thy could not see their own end coming and take steps to prevent it ? if you have the ability to see time project probable events and outcomes wouldn't that make sense. Now it's possible that when the 4th doctor went to Skarro an didin't destroy the Daleks that this set into motion historical events culminating in the eventual destruction of the Timelords but even so they should have been able to still take appropriate measures. It just a though thats all.

I have a question on this episode.

The comment the Doctor made under his breath, about "who can understand 4000 voices talking all at once ... other than him" (or something to that affect) ... could it be that the time lords existence / conscious be present in his own mind? Similar to the Hard drive, where his mind is the hard drive?

Or was that just a typical snippy remark that comes forward every so often ;)

Just something that caught my attention on the episode.

Downloaded them selves into the doctor somehow? might explain his seemingly limitless regenerations, he's being kept alive till he could bring the Timelords back? It sounds almost like the concept in the Outer Limits Episode Demon with a Glass Hand, the charter in that one, Simon Trent, had the entire human race digitally stored inside of him for safe keeping.

Last edited:

Why do you say his regenerations are "seemingly limitless"? According to the show he has 12 altogether and he has had 9 of those already ... hence 3 left. I haven't seen anything to indicate that The Doctor is suddenly able to regenerate as many times as he needs to.

Although the fact that the Time Lords were able to resurrect The Master indicates that the Time Lords capability for regeneration extends beyond that which we has seen on screen.

By the way, the title for episode 12 was released today by the BBC. (which makes it official now, which many would consider no longer a spoiler) "The Stolen Earth"

The link contains a summary of the episode, if you're curious.

Not as spoilerific a title as they tried to pass it off as, but there you go. Wonder no more, if you wondered.

Why do you say his regenerations are "seemingly limitless"? According to the show he has 12 altogether and he has had 9 of those already ... hence 3 left. I haven't seen anything to indicate that The Doctor is suddenly able to regenerate as many times as he needs to.

The question has been asked and there's been a link suggested to the fact the Timelords are gone... something like the less Timelords there are, the more potential regenerations there are for those who remain.

If people accepted the entire 8th Doctor telemovie as canon, you could also imply that the blending of human and Timelord DNA somehow mutates the genes responsible for regeneration...nllifying the limit. But that I guess is a very big stretch.

The addition of the Watcher element may have done something to the Doctor's ability to regenerate as well.

Although the fact that the Time Lords were able to resurrect The Master indicates that the Time Lords capability for regeneration extends beyond that which we has seen on screen.

Well that was potentially the third time the Master returned from oblivion wasn't it? So that would seem to be the case.

Last edited:
Back