• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Superman Returns (possible spoilers)

Jonny_Fever

Regular
Has anyone else caught this yet? I watched it last night as a way to get out of my hot house that is lacking air conditioning. I enjoyed the movie much more than I thought I would. I mean no one can or ever will replace Christopher Reeve as The Man of Steel but I think this newcomer guy did a pretty good job. I dont want to say too much right off the start if no one else has seen it yet.

I liked it. I didn't think it was as good as Superman II, but it was still pretty enjoyable. I think my only gripe was that it was a little too long. And I think I actually prefer Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. Gene Hackman was too cornball funny, whereas Kevin Spacey is darkly funny because he's so sadistic.

I saw this on Tuesday. Liked it. Didn't love it. The movie is being called a "requel" which is pretty clever. It is either Superman II or III (V.2). The fact that Luthor knows his way around the Fortress of Solitude would, to me, place it after Superman II. There's also another plot thread in the film that could only arise from the events of Superman II. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. The effects are very good, Brandon Routh really channels Christopher Reeve in a fantastic way. Despite some online chatter that Kevin Spacey is merely mimicing Hackman's Luthor, I son't see it at all. Spacey is doing Spacey. He's slightly humorous, but also the creepy, scary guy we've come to expect (although 5 years in the joint will build a grudge).

The problems I have with the film are many. For one, there's only one surprise in the whole film. The rest of the film plays out rather predictably and doesn't offer much new. In its attempt to be a loving homage to the original, the film spends too much time recycling dialogue lines from the original movie in "wink-wink" fashion. For some odd reason, the music doesn't seem to connect and rouse the audience like it should, either. Although the composer incorporated several of John Williams' themes into the score, he must've dropped the ball somewhere in the arrangement. It just didn't lift me up like I would have expected. Of course, the movie is too long, as is the trend these days. And for all the talk of new dialogue and unused footage from Brando, I can tell you that this was not the case. Every Brando voiceover was lifted directly from Superman The Movie, and they were far less effective this time around when taken out of context. In the original, the image of Jor El almost seems alive, conveying love and knowledge to his son over a period of 12 years IIRC. In this film, it is simply a mindless hologram that will give up its secrets to anyone who walks in the door. Of course, Superman II had the same nitpick for me. Mty other question is why wouldn't the Fortress of Solitude have any security? I'll bet in the comics it does. I liked the plane crash sequence, but didn't care for the inclusion of a new shuttle system, since we know we're still a decade away, it requires an even further suspension of disbelief (same as Superman II moon landing).

So in closing, Singer has given us a beautiful looking, mostly recycled, sort of feel good, middle of the road Superman pic. Having stood in line for the first showing of Superman the Movie 27 years ago, I was a little disappointed.

I'm hoping the inevitable sequel breaks some new ground.

My other question is why wouldn't the Fortress of Solitude have any security? I'll bet in the comics it does.

In Superman comics in the 50s, there was a huge arrow that was an "aircraft marker," that Supes picked up, and used as a key to unlock The Fortress of Solitude.

I haven't seen it yet. I had planned to see it very soon, until I heard that only 20 minutes is in 3D, because they completed it too late to get all the 3D processing done.

Currently it is protected by Superman Robots, Krypto the Super dog, various assorted other things and is also sitting in some sort of alternate universe bubble thing.

I prefered the key thing myself.

And people wonder why some find DC comics hard to swallow....

:D I haven't seen it yet, but I have high hopes for this movie! I've always been a Superman fan...granted the :eek: only one in my family that was, but there's just something about a guy who can save the world, save the planet, AND save Lois... :LOL: repeatedly...and not let it go to his head!

I've already decided Kevin Spacey is going be a great bad guy. He's a wonderful actor, so I don't how he could miss! However, I am reserving my opinion of the "new" Superman until I see him in action. :eek: I kind of liked Christopher Reeve, and I think he's going to be a tough act to follow....

Spoiler

I think the biggest improvement was the flunkies were somewhat menacing. I wasn't waiting for any of them to be told to squeal like a pig. My biggest problem with the movie was him being to lift a continent into space made of kryptonite from underneath while standing on top of it left him vulnerable to getting slapped around by humans.

I was surprised at how well the super kid worked. It didn't set off my gag reflex.

Back