• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Harry Potter Book 7 title

From what I've seen of complaints about Rowling's and HP's success, it seems the main complaint is she writes so simply. She doesn't use big artistic colorful words, and she uses "He said", She said" a great deal which is considered juvenile by the high and mighty critics. She writes to be understood by all ages.

Agreed, and it makes this simple to read, so more people can enjoy them. But I've never had any time for the 'literarty'. Despite this elegant simplicity, they will never grab my imagination in the way other authors do. I just get the feelingi've read it all before somewhere.

And Pratchett did indeed start the argument, and does sound like a gumpy old man (well actually, he probably is one!) although I understand his reasons.

And as Rowling is x10 as rich and exceedlingly pretty, so probably does not care !!

And as Rowling is x10 as rich and exceedlingly pretty, so probably does not care !!

Which is what made his repeated statements here exceedingly odd - Rowling has, to my knowledge, never given any impression of caring about what the public thinks about her. If she doesn't care about all this, and Terry Prachett does .. it doesn't leave too good an impression on him.

Mostly though, I just don't get it. He already is considered a grand master of the genre, and one of the most popular authors of all times. Being jealous of the fact that there is still someone "bigger" is pretty lame.

I see your point, but am sympathetic towards Pratchett, who still sees himself as being lumped in second place alongside her. Either way, he probably should not target her personally.

Despite being loosely the same genre, they really are worlds apart in terms of audience.

I guess its all the fault of our lazy journalists really.

I hate the media today.

:LOL:

Blame the media for the fact that Pratchett's own words condemn him. Words he MEANT to be published, by the way, the comments I've read haven't exactly been "someone overhearing something he said at a party once".

Considering just one quote I've read of his, I can see he won't exactly be my cup of tea. :LOL:

So, to each her own. I don't get why fans work themselves up into a frenzy over issues that boil down to the fact that we all have different tastes. Yes, some works capture popular imagination more than others. Tough titties, Pratchett. :)

And like it or not, folks, a LOT of kids began to not just read, but to eagerly devour the HP books. And then analyze the possibilities for the future, etc, etc.

Hypatia, she does have the 7th book already written.She has had it written for a while it is locked up in a volt in London.:)

Actually, she has had the final chapter of Book 7 written since the beginning, but, to the best of my knowledge, there is no information in the public arena as to how far she has gotten on Book 7. Surely if she was completely done, it wouldn't be locked up in a vault, it would be going through the editing process (Even if they aren't ready to release it anytime soon. The HP books generally go through an editing cycle that isn't long enough, and revisions are made in future printings, based upon what the initial run's buyers point out. (Voldemort being his own ancestor, Lily/James coming out of V's wand backwards)

Yes, she had the last chapter written, and she's always known the basic ending. But she mentioned not too long ago that she was sparing someone she was going to kill off, and killing off someone she hadn't expected to. So there are changes in the story.

And yea, the editing may take forever, but it's worth the wait. The last HP book ever. Wow.

Woo! :D :cool:

This means there's 170 days left until the most burning question of the decade gets an answer... is Sevvie evil or not?

:eek:

He could still be "evil" and on the right side. They aren't mutually exclusive. Even if his actions in book 6 were ordered by Dumbledore I wouldn't call him good.

True, but there's evil, and then there's mean, nasty, sexy bastard that is just on the right side of the line in the end. ;)

I have a nagging suspicion Rowling won't be that kind though and the twist of book 7 is that Snape's actually properly evil after all. And will probably die, too. Pah!

My big prediction for book 7: that Lupin practically has "death eater fodder" tatooed on his forehead.

Shame, too, for many reasons. But my biggest hope for the last book is that we'll finally find out why Snape did what he did. Over and over again he could have allowed Harry to fall into harms way, but he kept trying to save him, though he loathes Harry.

I just wonder if she'll axe Harry. You know, I heard they are already planning phone lines for people in crisis about the end of the series?

LOL

Hmmm. Actually, it's probably not a bad idea, but.... wow. When did we become such wimps? LOL

My big prediction for book 7: that Lupin practically has "death eater fodder" tatooed on his forehead.

Shame, too, for many reasons. But my biggest hope for the last book is that we'll finally find out why Snape did what he did. Over and over again he could have allowed Harry to fall into harms way, but he kept trying to save him, though he loathes Harry.

I just wonder if she'll axe Harry. You know, I heard they are already planning phone lines for people in crisis about the end of the series?

LOL

Hmmm. Actually, it's probably not a bad idea, but.... wow. When did we become such wimps? LOL

I think Snape has saved Harry, or not betrayd him many times, because he took an Unbreakable Oath to protect him, like he took to finsh Draco Malfoy's job.

That would be quite possible. But Snape has hurt Harry, just in little ways. But perhaps he doesn't see those as being actions that "do harm".

I heard an interesting conversation on the subject of the unbreakable vow. Exactly what/who decides the outcome of one of those? Is it subject to the interpretation of the vow-maker?

But that is a good possibility.

You see, my biggest problem with Dumbledore is: was he just an old fool? And if so, why did he insist so emphatically that he trusted Snape?

If Snape turns out to be "always was, always will be a loyal Death Eater", then this kind of reduces Dumbledore into being just an old fool, doesn't it? And I really don't think that is what Jo Rowling has in mind.

Sure, DD admits to making mistakes, big ones, but this is different. He never wavered in his trust of Snape, NEVER. So an unbreakable vow would indeed make sense.

Ah, mid-July and we'll finally know. :)

I don't see any reason to believe Dumbledore made a mistake trusting Snape.

Snape saved Harry and the Sorceror's stone from Quirrel/Voldemort
Snape "saved" Harry from Sirius and Lupin in PoA
Snape saved Harry from the toad Umbridge
Dumbledore would never beg for his life, so he must've been begging for Snape to go through with it and kill him. Why would Dumbledore need to beg Snape to kill him? If Snape was just waiting for the opportune time, that night in the tower was the most opportune time he could ever hope for, and yet Dumbledore had to beg him to do it, and Snape continued training Harry as he ran away, reminding Harry to keep a grip on his emotions, even though his own life was a risk.

Snape certainly is not a nice guy, but, it would most definitely be a very unexpected twist in my mind for Snape to be truly a Death Eater through and through.

This is a popular theory, I have seen. I must admit, if DD ordered his own death, that would be a pretty gutsy move to make in a "children's series". But Jo did warn the books would get darker as Harry grew older.

This is a popular theory, I have seen. I must admit, if DD ordered his own death, that would be a pretty gutsy move to make in a "children's series". But Jo did warn the books would get darker as Harry grew older.

Surely you agree Dumbledore would never beg for his own life? What other possibility do you see, aside from begging for his own life, or begging Snape to kill him (as the theory suggests?). Remember Dumbledore would not be afraid of dying for himself, it's "the next big adventure".

Dumbledore pleading with Snape is for me the most important point supporting the theory of "Dumbledore was asking Snape to do it" (others being DD being aware of Draco's plans, and being fairly calm about them; DD being very ill / probably not having much time left due to destroying the ring horcrux; and also DD finally appointing Snape as the DADA teacher, which seems to indicate he expected Snape to be gone from the school after that year, what with the curse and all).

The one thing nagging me though is that while I'm about 99.9% sure that Snape did not "murder" Dumbledore (but killed him with Dumbledore's full knowledge/at his request), it still doesn't mean he's "good"... he might be on his own side entirely. Or on Voldemort's side after all, just trying to make sure he could still come out reasonably clean if Voldemort's side loses.

In any case, it should be quite interesting to see what book 7 has in store there. :cool:

I've long believed that Snape was under an Unbreakable Vow one way or another, and that was why DD trusted him so much. But it probably ran along these lines: the vow was that he would bring down Voldemort one way or another, with some flexibility over how precisely that would be done.

The main reason I believe this is that we first learned of Snape's impending betrayal almost in the same breath that we learned of the Unbreakable Vow. It would set things up very nicely for the twist.

Back