B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old October 29th 07, 19:06   #1
themaninbetween
Lurker

"do not kill the one who is already dead" niggle

I have a bit of a beef with the theory that the "one who is already dead" is "referring to Sheridan, by saving him and Delenn they in turn promise to free Centauri Prime." Sure, Sheridan is for all intents and purpouses "dead", but I can't see how Londo "killed" him, even metaphroicly, seeing he allowed him and Delenn to escape Centauri Prime.

Could anyone further explain the Sheridan="one who is already dead" theory?
themaninbetween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th 07, 20:30   #2
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: "do not kill the one who is already dead" niggle

Sheridan died at Z'ha'dum but Lorien 'breathed on the embers' and he came back. That makes him the one who is already dead. Londo did follow that path to salvation by *not* killing Sheridan and he also (IMO) surrendered himself to that which he most feared by either facing/apologizing to G'Kar or by accepting the Keeper.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th 07, 20:46   #3
Mike G

We have had conversations about this on these boards before, some people think that "the one who is dead" could also refer to Morden, since he was thought to be dead. Personally, I think that the fact that the prophecy calls him "The One" is significant since Sheridan is sometimes called "The One".
Old October 29th 07, 20:49   #4
babylonfan
Ranger

Another interpretation is the the profecy relates to Morden, who had been "repaired" after the nuke. Londo did kill Morden, and as a consequence the Drakh invaded Centauri Prime.

Funny show B5, way too many angles to look at it!
babylonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th 07, 20:56   #5
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Ah but was Sheridan only "mostly dead"?

Ah how different Babylon 5 could have been if Lorien had been played by Bill Crystal!

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th 07, 23:00   #6
bonehead
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninbetween View Post
I have a bit of a beef with the theory that the "one who is already dead" is "referring to Sheridan, by saving him and Delenn they in turn promise to free Centauri Prime." Sure, Sheridan is for all intents and purpouses "dead", but I can't see how Londo "killed" him, even metaphroicly, seeing he allowed him and Delenn to escape Centauri Prime.

Could anyone further explain the Sheridan="one who is already dead" theory?
The seer said that in order to avoid the darkness he "must not kill the one who is already dead". And that's what he did: by not killing Sheridan and letting him go, he had the Alliance rid Centauri Prime from the darkness that was holding it.

The other possibility is that it referred to Morden: if Londo hadn't killed him and blown up the Shadows, the Drakh wouldn't have gone to Centauri Prime. So by killing "the one who is already dead", he failed to abide by the instructions and therefore failed to avoid the darkness.

Pick your favorite.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th 07, 23:18   #7
fisheggs
Techno-mage

And Centari Prime would have been ashes. The Vorlon planet Killer. Which would definitely hit an active Shadow base on the way out.

"Humor is such a subjective thing."

"My momma didn't raise no fools: We raised ourselves!"
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th 07, 23:26   #8
bonehead
Lurker

Not quite - in fact killing Morden and the Shadows didn't make a difference because the Vorlon planet killer was still going to blow up Centauri Prime anyway because Londo was there. The only reason the planet survived was because the ships were recalled to Coriana 6 when the 3-way battle started.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th 07, 09:03   #9
raw_bean
Commander

Meaning that the Vorlons were never going to destroy Centauri Prime, given that the seer can see the future. The difference that killing Morden & the Shadows made is that it brought down the Drakh on Centauri Prime in retribution. By surrendering himself to his greatest fear (allowing G'Kar to kill him) he finally saved his world and himself.

It works either way:

he failed to not kill Morden as the one who was already dead, so he had to surrender to his greatest fear, or:

he was going to fail to not kill Sheridan as the one who was already dead when hi Keeper woke up, so he surrendered to his greatest fear to prevent that.
raw_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th 07, 11:45   #10
GaribaldisHair
First One

Hasn't JMS already stated that 'the one who is already dead' does indeed refer to Sheridan ... or am I thinking of something else?

If he did, that would seem to negate any other discussion of the matter.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote