B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Would you re-buy the first 5 seasons of B5 if they updated the CGI? (as shown in TLT)
Yes 9 31.03%
No 12 41.38%
Maybe 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 18th 07, 04:42   #1
Mindwalker
First One

Would you replace your DVD sets?

After watching TLT And the updated CGI, I was thinking that if they ever did a update of original B5 with newer CGI I would replace my current collection. I doubt it would ever happen....but one can hope I guess

I wanted to get everybody else's feelings on the matter.

Don't Click This!
Mindwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th 07, 05:03   #2
vacantlook

Re: Would you replace your DVD sets?

I imagine some could say that I'm enough of a B5 fan that I would buy nearly everything. But yeah, I would rebuy the DVDs if the CGI were upgraded. Ultimately, I think such a package should be sold with both the upgraded and original CGI versions available on the same disc. But yeah, I enjoyed seeing modern CGI in TLT. I love the original CGI for what it means historically overall and for the series. But I would also enjoy an update. So, I wouldn't want the original done away with completely, but I wouldn't be totally adverse to an update either. I would like both. I like options.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th 07, 05:16   #3
Babylon5fan07
Ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to Babylon5fan07

I know that I may be in the minority but I'm actually a believer of keeping thing the way it should be. I never cared for the Star Wars: Special Editions. When I heard a couple years ago that the original Star Wars Trilogy would be released on DVD the way it was originally shown I jumped to get those. A lot of people out there including my best friend Dustin loves the fact that the original Star Trek has been updated to today's CGI, etc. But I'm a purist. Babylon 5 was already ahead of it's time in CGI when it came out. The only thing that was better in Special effects was Jurassic Park, The Abyss, Terminator 2 and of course Deep Space Nine but for 1993 Babylon 5 was one of the best and original special effects tv show.

No I'm going to have to say a 100% no. I'm glad Best Buy is selliing the original box set's at $19.99 online and in store because I have to replace my first season which is falling apart. However, to replace the CGI..I love the first 5 seasons and dvd's the way they are.

Alex
"The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening title narration from Babylon 5)

"Oh, boy, is this Great!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House
"Faith....Manages--"Delenn and Lennier from B5
V "For Victory. Go and tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
Babylon5fan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th 07, 05:27   #4
vacantlook

Oh history.

B5 totally made history. I definitely will never support abandoning the original visual effects for new cgi. I like the idea of being able to watch it with new, but I will never forget where we and B5 came from. B5 should always have what it originaly had. It's too significiant in the grand scheme of things to forget/ignore what made it the amazing show that it is.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th 07, 10:25   #5
RMcD
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon5fan07 View Post
I know that I may be in the minority but I'm actually a believer of keeping thing the way it should be. I never cared for the Star Wars: Special Editions. When I heard a couple years ago that the original Star Wars Trilogy would be released on DVD the way it was originally shown I jumped to get those. A lot of people out there including my best friend Dustin loves the fact that the original Star Trek has been updated to today's CGI, etc. But I'm a purist. Babylon 5 was already ahead of it's time in CGI when it came out. The only thing that was better in Special effects was Jurassic Park, The Abyss, Terminator 2 and of course Deep Space Nine but for 1993 Babylon 5 was one of the best and original special effects tv show.
Alex, I agree 100% with that. I'm not even very keen on the special edition of the Gathering because it uses effects shots from much later in the series. And Ron Thornton's (later Netter Digital's) effects were such a big part of what made B5 revolutionary, and were such a big factor in getting me interested in the series in the first place.

To me it's like saying that Christopher Franke's soundtrack should be torn out and replaced because tastes have changed, synthesizer technology has advanced so much since 1994, and it no longer sounds optimal on the latest home theatre systems.

And for that matter even now I still haven't really seen anything since that looks as big, cool, colourful or well-choreographed as some of the really big B5 space battles. You have to remember that those effects obviously looked much less photo-realistic at the time than the likes of Star Trek, but they were much more interesting in what they could do. It would have been impossible for any other show to do something like Shadow Dancing because of the expense. When you shift the emphasis towards detail and realism, I think you sacrifice some of the possibilities for scale, variety, and just plain storytelling.

Last edited by RMcD; August 18th 07 at 12:40.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th 07, 15:03   #6
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon5fan07 View Post
I know that I may be in the minority but I'm actually a believer of keeping thing the way it should be. I never cared for the Star Wars: Special Editions. When I heard a couple years ago that the original Star Wars Trilogy would be released on DVD the way it was originally shown I jumped to get those.
That was smart of you. I'm not enough of a fan of the movies to collect them, but I did enjoy watching the first three (4-6 of course) and the third.

I think movies are best shown on widescreen, and I agree that this "editing years later" will make me less of a fan of a series, not more of a fan.

I actually tried to watch on television the remade Return of the Jedi. Seeing an old Obi-Wan with stupidly-smiling kid who looks like a jerk really just summed it all up for me.

All I could think was: how utterly fake this is.

O.K. if someone wants to remake Star Trek and say "you know, today we can make the Klingons really cool-looking, the way we would have originally, if we could have" I feel that's a very different thing. Remake = redoing, as far as I'm concerned.

But to go in and re-edit a film because you don't want to preserve things like film history, you just want to keep updating your prize work.

So, I have to go along with "I would hate to see it happen, and I certainly would never purchase such DVDs".

The real shame of the matter is that DVDs will eventually wear out and become out-of-fashion soon. As we all move into a more-digital format (or whatever is destined to repace the DVD) will that encourage even more film owners to go and tamper with ("update") their earlier work?

I just hope that whole trend is a fad. I have mixed feelings about just about anything other than restoring old films/shows/etc to their original condition.

And I'm sorry, but George Lucas redoing Star Wars just smacked of a man who'd lost his convictions and his best talents years ago, but being a marketing genius, he still knows how to get paid for renting a dead horse.

I see it as, in many ways, proof of just how sterile our imaginations have become. Why create new when you can just re-edit the old?

Last edited by hypatia; August 18th 07 at 18:08.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th 07, 15:05   #7
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

No way in hell. I don't want anything on B5 to be any different than it is now.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th 07, 15:57   #8
fafca
Lurker

Probably not. I think, that the original series still has one of the best CGIs. Or did anybody seen something more beautiful than a shadow-vessel?
Old August 19th 07, 00:24   #9
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwalker View Post
After watching TLT And the updated CGI, I was thinking that if they ever did a update of original B5 with newer CGI I would replace my current collection. I doubt it would ever happen....but one can hope I guess

I wanted to get everybody else's feelings on the matter.
Well, the only way they would release anything with updated CGI is in an HD format, and yes, I would buy them. I have NOT bought B5 so far, in anticipation of a HD release. After all, that is why, says JMS, that he shot them in WS to begin with. I do have a close friend who owns the DVD sets, so I have seen them, and can borrow them, any time I like.

But, to the substance of your question. I would NOT like a Star Wars sort of re-editing, and re-working of B5. Lucas did a LOT more than just update the effects, he made substantial changes. From what I have seen, ST:TOS has done it right, just adding some detail, and recreating things to be like the original, but better. If B5's CGI is updated, that is the way to go. But, I do agree that B5's original CGI was historically important, and as such, I am glad it is preserved in the extant DVDs.

By the way, we have another thread around here, on the same topic. Guess it has no recent posts.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 07, 11:06   #10
raw_bean
Commander

I definitely would, if they were done to a high quality and with appropriate reverence/respect to the original intent.

The story is sacrosanct, but the shiny packaging is not. I wouldn't view it as tampering with the Mona Lisa, so much as dusting her off, putting her in a brand new frame with UV protective and non-reflective glass, in a better lit and more neatly arranged gallery.
raw_bean is offline   Reply With Quote