• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5Tech.com question?

Cell

Regular
Hey all, I've been trying to register at B5Tech for a few weeks now. Every time I try I always get the response that "this email has been banned." It doesn't matter if I use old email addys or even a few that I just created the other day, the response is always the same. I tried emailing the admin but have gotten no response. I'm a bit of a tech geek so finding that website and forums was pretty cool, but I would really like to actually be able to post there. If there's anyone here that is a member there or has any idea about why this anomaly is occurring your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Bill

Is it actually your IP address that has been banned, rather than a specific e-mail? For those whose ISP issue a single, static IP address for multiple users, you can find yourself on the wrong of this kind of thing if someone else using that IP has got him(her)self banned.

If not, I can only suggest that you contact the site admin if there is a way to e-mail the admin direct without having to register at the site first.

I am admittedly a complete moron when it comes to things like IP addresses, so if it is that then I have no idea. I have emailed the admin about the problem a few times though, and have yet to hear anything. I might give it another try on one of the library computers when I head up there to pick up some CDs tomorrow or on Monday.

I post there.

Mentioned your problem to the admins (remember recently seeing someone else having issues as well). Apparently it may be down to some general blocking of certain ISP’s due to spambots and the like.

http://www.b5tech.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=42669#42669

Only thing I can suggest is setting up an email account with something like google (not yahoo, I'm pretty sure that's another that's not in favour) and trying again – sorry I can’t be much more help.

I tried with my gmail account and I was told that was banned as well. Thanks for the info though.

I tried with my gmail account and I was told that was banned as well. Thanks for the info though.

Which would further indicate that the problem lies with your IP address rather than your e-mail. The board will log the IP address of your computer/router (as given by your ISP) when you visit so when you attempt to register, it doesn't matter what e-mail account you use, a rogue IP may already have killed your chance of registering.

You don't say how much of a complete moron you are when it comes to IP addresses, so here is a potted guide ... every computer on a network (which is basically all the internet is) has a unique numerical address identifying it. The address will look like this: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

So, what does this mean in practice ...

When you type www.b5tv.com into a web browser, the first thing your browser does is check with another computer (known as a Domain Name Service server - normally one of your ISP's) to find out the correct numerical address for the computer hosting the website. It already knows your computers IP address so once it finds the target address it can put you in touch with it.

Spambots, like other computers, will provide an IP address when making contact with a website, and the owners of the sites can take action to block that address, or a series of addresses, to try and stop it happening again. Kind of like hitting the "Ignore" button when your cellphone rings and caller ID indicates this is someone you don't want to talk to.

Some ways to try and isolate and, hopefully, resolve this problem are:

1. To make contact with the admin of the board and see if you can find out exactly why you are having problems and whether there is anything they can do to solve them.

2. Try registering with the site from another computer (preferably one using a different ISP). If you can do that, you have your answer, although you may still not be able to post from your own computer even once you have registered.

3. See if your ISP can allocate you a different IP address, or even better a dynamic one. A dynamic IP basically changes every time you go online so you can avoid this type of thing ... unless, of course, the site has barred an IP range that covers that whole ISP, which they might have done if they have been receiving spambot visits from computers using those addresses.

4. Should 3 prove to be impossible, or not solve anything, change your ISP if it still appears that the IP address is the issue.

Really, you shouldn't be trying options 2, 3 or 4 without getting some ideas from the site itself. And you should only venture as far as option 4 if you really really want to register with the site, and don't care what it takes.

Hope this helps (and didn't veer too far into Geekland!),

:D

Last edited:

A further thought ... do they have a general issue with webmail accounts. I am registered on some boards that insist that I can only register with a "proper" domain based e-mail account.

I.e. no Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail etc.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back