B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 7th 08, 18:08   #1
Sindatur
Techno-mage

IPX from Infection (And later)

I always remembered that IPX was a well known Corporation and a Mega-Corp at that. I started rewatching S1 over the weekend, and I noticed in Infection, Stephen Franklin said to Dr Hendricks, something like "I checked out IPX, they don't exist" to which Dr. Hendricks replied back "They're a front..."

Is this something I just always had the wrong impression on (Most likely from reading "The Shadow Within") or was it changed after this episode to make IPX a real company?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th 08, 19:07   #2
Recoil
First One

Re: IPX from Infection (And later)

Seemed to me like it was changed as the show went on. If Sheridan's wife worked for them, and there was a freakin TV commercial showing her ship leaving for IPX then it wasn't very secret and it wasn't a front by then.

I think it is one of those small continuity glitches.
Old January 7th 08, 19:09   #3
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Seemed to me like it was changed as the show went on. If Sheridan's wife worked for them, and there was a freakin TV commercial showing her ship leaving for IPX then it wasn't very secret and it wasn't a front by then.

I think it is one of those small continuity glitches.
Ah, of course, the advert for IPX showing the ship leaving, yea that pretty much clinches it. Thanks

Old January 8th 08, 09:48   #4
GaribaldisHair
First One

If JMS had just written all 110 episodes before filming, then this sort of thing wouldn't have happened.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th 08, 13:03   #5
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

An audio dub changing the name of the company in "Infection" would be the simplest way round it... mind you I think it's mentioned a few times, so perhaps not.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th 08, 14:08   #6
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaribaldisHair View Post
If JMS had just written all 110 episodes before filming, then this sort of thing wouldn't have happened.

LOL, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, nor giddy that I found a continuity error, just wanted to be sure of my impression that I received from later in the story. We are extremely lucky how few problems the series has as a whole.

Old January 8th 08, 15:05   #7
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Good spot, although if you read one of the books (The Shadow Within ?) IPX, is obviously a front, although it is hardly 'non existent'. Maybe they grew up suddenly after that first early episode.

Someone on the newsgroup should take him to task over it

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th 08, 23:41   #8
babylonfan
Ranger

It says nowhere that front-companies need to be small. Maybe IPX is a still front for the warfare division. As long as no-one knows of IPX's links to the warfare division that is no problem.

Disadvantage of such large companies is of course that they are more likely to be investigated by the press or would-be investors (assuming it's on the stock exchange). They might uncover what is going on. The advantage of using such a large company is that they can hire a lot of mercenaries/guards without it drawing suspicion, whereas that small corner store with 10 armed guards stands out.
babylonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th 08, 14:47   #9
RMcD
First One

My memory is hazy, did Anna Sheridan and the team that dug up the shadow vessel on Mars actually work for IPX or were those digs just funded by them? If the latter, is it possible that IPX started out as a shell company that the EA bioweapons division used to provide funding for archaeological expeditions and later went legit and expanded (around S2) to begin to employ bona fide archaeologists such as Elizabeth Trent and Max Eilerson directly?
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote