B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Would You Buy Crusade - The Lost Tales
Definitely, Bring Back Gideon 24 80.00%
Maybe 4 13.33%
Hell no, Let the excalibur die with the rest of earth 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 26th 07, 17:32   #11
Crusader
Ranger

Re: Crusade - The Lost Tales???

Ok i know this isnt happening, But if it were the problems that they could face are mainly sets (as previously mentioned) and getting the orgiginal cast.

The majority would likely jump at the chance to revisit crusade but could we drag Daniel Dae Kim away from Lost???

But that said, as they are only doing 16 episodes per season of lost know he should be able to fit in both shows should that eventuality arise?
This is my command. I'll do whatever's necessary. If that means turning the entire galaxy upside down and shaking its pockets to see what falls out, then that's what I'll do. I'm not subtle. I'm not pretty, and I'll piss off a lot of people along the way. But I'll get the job done.

- Captain Matthew Gideon
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th 07, 19:08   #12
RMcD
First One

I wouldn't mind if the Crusade sets had to be rebuilt.. I don't think they'd hold up so well now. I know they were technically better than the B5 sets (they had ceilings!), and that certain areas like the bridge were an unusual shape, but they always struck me as flat (perhaps something to do with the way they were lit) and drab. I felt the same way about the sets in ST:Enterprise, so it's not just that they were dirt cheap, although that didn't help either..

I'm also increasingly doubtful that JMS feels particularly attached to Crusade, at least as a story. It was a very far cry from anything he wanted or intended for the spinoff, and it was screwed with all the way through it's production. If JMS ever returns to any of that material I expect him to do the bare minimum to cauterise the wound and move on (barring retaining some individual characters, such as Galen, of course).
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th 07, 20:21   #13
Crusader
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcD View Post
I'm also increasingly doubtful that JMS feels particularly attached to Crusade, at least as a story. It was a very far cry from anything he wanted or intended for the spinoff, and it was screwed with all the way through it's production. If JMS ever returns to any of that material I expect him to do the bare minimum to cauterise the wound and move on (barring retaining some individual characters, such as Galen, of course).
He has aid in the past he would have like to continue the story but he didnt feel there was a huge dedicated fan base. and as its JMS if he did return to telling the crusade story it wouldnt be by a half measure as u suggest.
This is my command. I'll do whatever's necessary. If that means turning the entire galaxy upside down and shaking its pockets to see what falls out, then that's what I'll do. I'm not subtle. I'm not pretty, and I'll piss off a lot of people along the way. But I'll get the job done.

- Captain Matthew Gideon
Old August 26th 07, 23:13   #14
A_M_Swallow
First One

Crusade is definitely a lost tale.
Old August 27th 07, 00:15   #15
Clark Kent
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Still, I've got to wonder if it's cheaper than rebuilding them from scratch to match what's already been shot? Wonder what it cost Paramount to keep those old Star Trek (TOS, 1966-1969) sets around to use in the TNG "Scotty" episode, Relics Oct. 12, 1992)?

Yeah, I know that was "Star Trek" (the phenomenon) and Paramount, and we're talking about Crusade and Warner Brothers.
The bridge set (and most of the other sets) was dismantled shortly after the original series ended it's first-run production in 1969. Rumors had that pieces of the bridge set had been given to UCLA, but alas there's been nothing. At least two of the three constructed Captain's chairs survived; one is in the SF museum in Settle, WA and the other was auctioned on ebay.

In fact, a major factor in keeping Trek from returning in the early 70s was the cost of rebuilding the sets. NBC wanted to bring the series back after it did so well in syndication and realized that the Nielsen system used in the 60s was flawed, that Trek had been a success with the male demographic. The start up costs of reconstruction forced them to go the animated route instead. (I believe this is mentioned in either The Art of Trek or the 25th anniversary table book).

For "Relics," a pie-wedge of the bridge was constructed from scratch with a rented helm and nav console from a fan. You can tell that it isn't the original set as there are a variety of minor differences. They flipped the set for the close-ups to make it look 360 degrees. A frame showing an empty bridge from "A Side of Paradise" was used as a green screen insert to show Scotty enter.

For the DS9 TOS tribute, "Trails and Tribulations," rotoscoping was used to insert Dax into a scene on the bridge, while a portion was built from her and Sisko to use. A 3/4 set was built for the ENT episode, "In Mirror Darkly" using LCD screens to alter the graphics on the overhead monitors rather than the usual backlit panels.

All were built with the input of Doug Drexler who assisted in the building of the bridge replica used in the fan-series New Voyages.

The sets that were kept by Paramount for a couple of decades were the Phase: II sets built for the aborted television show that become the first movie. Those sets were continually retrofitted for TNG and VOY. The engine room was redressed from those series and by the end of VOY was beginning to fall apart. Those sets were destroyed.

The sets for ENT were the first new sets constructed from scratch for a new Trek series since 1976.

Last edited by Clark Kent; August 27th 07 at 00:27.
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th 07, 00:35   #16
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Ok i know this isnt happening, But if it were the problems that they could face are mainly sets (as previously mentioned) and getting the orgiginal cast.

The majority would likely jump at the chance to revisit crusade but could we drag Daniel Dae Kim away from Lost???
To revisit Crusade sans interference. Oh, the thought.

Quote:
But that said, as they are only doing 16 episodes per season of lost know he should be able to fit in both shows should that eventuality arise?
Haven't seen any of Lost. How much is DDK in it, every show? Isn't Lost getting pretty long in the tooth by now? Getting near the end?

Quote:
I wouldn't mind if the Crusade sets had to be rebuilt..
There is no "minding" about it. They have to be rebuilt. They've been destroyed ("eliminated" to use JMS's word), along with the B5 sets and the Rangers sets. It's all gone, except for the little pieces they used in Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales (a doorway and a Starfury cockpit).

Fate of B5, Crusade and Rangers Sets
http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-16584

Quote:
I don't think they'd hold up so well now. I know they were technically better than the B5 sets (they had ceilings!), and that certain areas like the bridge were an unusual shape, but they always struck me as flat (perhaps something to do with the way they were lit) and drab. I felt the same way about the sets in ST:Enterprise, so it's not just that they were dirt cheap, although that didn't help either.
Well, maybe Kevin Sprach could spruce them up.

Quote:
I'm also increasingly doubtful that JMS feels particularly attached to Crusade, at least as a story.
Based upon his comments, I am not sensing this at all.

Quote:
It was a very far cry from anything he wanted or intended for the spinoff, and it was screwed with all the way through it's production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
And the writer of songs said, 'better 13 songs that I can believe in than 22 that I do not.
Emphasis added by me.

Quote:
If JMS ever returns to any of that material I expect him to do the bare minimum to cauterise the wound and move on (barring retaining some individual characters, such as Galen, of course).
I sincerely hope you're wrong about that (bare minimum to cauterise the wound).

Quote:
He has said in the past he would have like to continue the story but he didnt feel there was a huge dedicated fan base.
Did B5 have a huge dedicated fanbase by episode 13? Hell, I only found it in the 21st episode of Season 3. It picked up fans all along.

Quote:
and as its JMS if he did return to telling the crusade story it wouldnt be by a half measure as u suggest.
I think you're correct, there. Crusade is too big to be told in piecemeal fashion in B5-TLT DVDs.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; August 27th 07 at 00:50.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th 07, 00:45   #17
KoshN

Thanks, Clark for all that detailed info.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th 07, 01:01   #18
Clark Kent
Lurker

You're welcome, Kosh.
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th 07, 10:22   #19
Crusader
Ranger

If This was to happen, which character would you e most exicted to see grow??? Personally Captain Gideon interested me alot and i would like to see more of him

- Captain Matthew Gideon
Old August 29th 07, 11:17   #20
vacantlook

Of all the Crusade characters, Dureena intrigued me the most.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote