B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old August 2nd 07, 11:53   #51
Capt. Neville
First One

Re: B5:TLT - Show Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Oh, and as another note: is it just me, or did the camerawork seem better in the second half than the first? I know JMS directed both, but the first just seemed to keep having weird framing shots that I kept thinking "ok, the camera needed to move over there" or some such, which totally threw me off, whereas the second half seemed far more natural and correct. A good example, I guess, is where Sheridan is talking to Lockley over the comm: the shots of Sheridan look just fine, but when it switches to the live version of Lockley, she's staring straight at the camera. No, no, no, she's talking to Sheridan, not us (a mistake I see in many films and TV shows, and yet the shots of Sheridan correctly have him looking to the side, not at us!?)

Oh well, just something else I wanted to throw in for discussion.

--mcn
Old August 2nd 07, 13:42   #52
Dangerousapple
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Neville View Post
Oh, and as another note: is it just me, or did the camerawork seem better in the second half than the first? I know JMS directed both, but the first just seemed to keep having weird framing shots that I kept thinking "ok, the camera needed to move over there" or some such, which totally threw me off, whereas the second half seemed far more natural and correct.
I felt the same watching the first story. The camerawork was really distracting. Instead of watching the characters and being engrossed in them, I was like: 'hey look, the camera has tilted 90 degrees and is now moving sideways across his face '. The camerawork reminded me of Joss Whedon, but he does this in a much more natural way.

Quote:
A good example, I guess, is where Sheridan is talking to Lockley over the comm: the shots of Sheridan look just fine, but when it switches to the live version of Lockley, she's staring straight at the camera. No, no, no, she's talking to Sheridan, not us (a mistake I see in many films and TV shows, and yet the shots of Sheridan correctly have him looking to the side, not at us!?)

Oh well, just something else I wanted to throw in for discussion.

--mcn
JMS placed his camera in the same location as the make-believe camera that films Lochley and sends her image to Sheridans ship - that's not necessarily a mistake.

Last edited by Dangerousapple; August 2nd 07 at 13:46.
Dangerousapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd 07, 15:03   #53
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

I liked the funky angles, it was all a bit student film and experimental...

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd 07, 19:34   #54
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie

I'd just like the opportunity to see the funky angles.... my DVD isn't here yet.

Sorry for the whine....
Old August 2nd 07, 20:34   #55
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxie View Post
I'd just like the opportunity to see the funky angles.... my DVD isn't here yet.

Sorry for the whine....
Mine arrived this morning.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd 07, 20:53   #56
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxie View Post

Sorry for the whine....
Think nothing of it, I was whining about mine not arriving on Tuesday, but, it was waiting for me when I got home yesterday.

Want some Cheese and Crackers to go with that whine?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd 07, 23:31   #57
Capt. Neville
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerousapple View Post
JMS placed his camera in the same location as the make-believe camera that films Lochley and sends her image to Sheridans ship - that's not necessarily a mistake.
It wasn't a mistake in the sense that it was intentional, yes. I'm arguing whether it was *right* to do.

Note, for example, that the camera shots for Sheridan are not from the angle that would actually be capturing Sheridan to send to Lockley (unless Lockley is looking at the side of Sheridan's face the entire conversation

My point is that many shows do this, i.e. show the camera shot as if we were watching the direct feed, because they (IMHO) think it's right to do. However, it makes no logical sense: we're not watching Lockley talk to us, we're watching her talk to Sheridan, and showing it the former way just breaks that illusion.

It bothers me whenever I see any show or film do it, and it bothered me here. What bothered me more, though, was that the shots of Sheridan were done the correct way. If one was correct, why wasn't the other?

Again, just my 2 cents.

--mcn

Last edited by Capt. Neville; August 2nd 07 at 23:35. Reason: Edited for context
Capt. Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd 07, 23:37   #58
Capt. Neville
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_librarian View Post
I liked the funky angles, it was all a bit student film and experimental...
The handheld-panning-around-thing wasn't too bad IMHO. Yeah, it was a bit student film, or at least a bit student-like, i.e. not very professional. Whedon definitely pulls it off better, but that's just me.

I was talking more of the shots earlier of the conversation in Lockley's quarters, etc. I don't remember exactly why they rubbed me the wrong way, but it just felt like the cameraman wasn't paying attention to what was going on, or something. I think maybe they were going for the whole "ooh, we're in widescreen, let's frame it in an unusual way" thing, which they pulled off great in the second half (the first framing shots of Sheridan and the Centauri meeting in the hallway), but there it was unusual but worked. The first half just felt like it was overdone and gimmicky. I can't put my finger on why one worked for me and one didn't, though.

Maybe because it was Sheridan in the frame...

--mcn
Old August 3rd 07, 00:18   #59
RMcD
First One

Quote:
My point is that many shows do this, i.e. show the camera shot as if we were watching the direct feed, because they (IMHO) think it's right to do. However, it makes no logical sense: we're not watching Lockley talk to us, we're watching her talk to Sheridan, and showing it the former way just breaks that illusion.
Haven't seen it yet, but that sounds to me like something that could have happened for any number of reasons during editing. The footage would have to have been shot from that angle anyway for the purposes of showing it on the other viewscreen. Maybe they realised they could save an effects shot or two by just using it raw instead of compositing it into Sheridan's scene, or maybe her performance was better than in the wider angle, or they lost the wide angle, or found the footage was unusable for some reason once it was too late to do reshoots.

It's not necessarily a conscious choice on the part of the director. And it would never have happened in the original series because I believe there they just tended to film the onscreen actor in the next room and use a video feed.

Last edited by RMcD; August 3rd 07 at 01:12.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd 07, 01:18   #60
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Think nothing of it, I was whining about mine not arriving on Tuesday, but, it was waiting for me when I got home yesterday.

Want some Cheese and Crackers to go with that whine?
If it's not here tomorrow...then yes!

In regard to why JMS shot it one way as opposed to the other, I'm not a filmmaker so even seeing it I'd never be able to tell if it was the right or wrong thing to do, but IF I ever get to see it I'll be sure to chime in here and let you know if I liked it or not!