• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

25th Anniversary Feb 22, 2018

Jan

Regular
So tomorrow's the 25th anniversary of 'The Gathering' showing. Anybody doing anything to celebrate?

I missed the pilot but caught all but one episode ('Comes the Inquisitor' Eeek!) in first run.

Jan

Where did the time go? *looks in mirror* Oh... right.

I watched every episode on first run from the pilot on with the exception of "Between the Darkness and the Light" and "Endgame" (WTF?) because the show aired inexplicably in the middle of the night for its last three episodes on PTEN. By the time I found the show on the schedule, what I saw was "Deconstruction of Falling Stars". I then had to go to the Spoiler Junkies page and read all about the episodes until I finally saw them nearly a year later. I bit of a bummer but I did watch the series in proper order several times after that.

It's hard to believe that 20 years ago, we were watching Season 5 on TNT, hailing it as "the greatest sci-fi show ever made" and now here in 2018, it has all but been erased from history. Half the cast has died, dashing years of hopes for some kind of revival, and the advent of HD TV's has also contributed to the show's exile due to the low resolution of its 480p VFX. It's a shame as nothing less than a full re-master with new VFX will make the show ready for prime time again and that's just never going to happen.

Here in the UK we didn't get The Gathering until after season 1 had aired for some reason (I think it might have come out on VHS before then though) so I guess the UK 25th anniversary is next year. Midnight on the Firing Line is my true first episode, to me The Gathering is just this weird TV movie that feels like it's in parallel universe where the costumes, make-up, music and characters are different ;-)

Actually, it's okay, for a pilot. I've got both the original cut and JMS' cut on DVD, though I have to say I don't watch either very often.

It's hard to believe that 20 years ago, we were watching Season 5 on TNT, hailing it as "the greatest sci-fi show ever made" and now here in 2018, it has all but been erased from history.

That fact alone makes me quite sad.

It's a shame as nothing less than a full re-master with new VFX will make the show ready for prime time again and that's just never going to happen.

I know it's a long shot, but if a reboot ever does happen, and proves successful, then maybe the resurgence of interest would prompt Warners to go back and restore the episodes. Either that or we wait long enough for the required special effects to become sufficiently inexpensive for WB to do it.

Put it this way, if I ever won hundreds of millions on the lottery, I know what I'd be doing with at least some of the money.

The Gathering is just this weird TV movie that feels like it's in parallel universe where the costumes, make-up, music and characters are different ;-)

Actually, it's okay, for a pilot. I've got both the original cut and JMS' cut on DVD, though I have to say I don't watch either very often.

Oh you need to read some of my thoughts on The Gathering and how important it is. :LOL:

Put it this way, if I ever won hundreds of millions on the lottery, I know what I'd be doing with at least some of the money.

OMG! I am so glad you said it first. I have thought the same thing so many times. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!! :guffaw:

Here in the UK we didn't get The Gathering until after season 1 had aired for some reason (I think it might have come out on VHS before then though) so I guess the UK 25th anniversary is next year. Midnight on the Firing Line is my true first episode, to me The Gathering is just this weird TV movie that feels like it's in parallel universe where the costumes, make-up, music and characters are different ;-)

It's hard to believe that 20 years ago, we were watching Season 5 on TNT, hailing it as "the greatest sci-fi show ever made" and now here in 2018, it has all but been erased from history.

That fact alone makes me quite sad.

It's a shame as nothing less than a full re-master with new VFX will make the show ready for prime time again and that's just never going to happen.

I know it's a long shot, but if a reboot ever does happen, and proves successful, then maybe the resurgence of interest would prompt Warners to go back and restore the episodes. Either that or we wait long enough for the required special effects to become sufficiently inexpensive for WB to do it.

Hell, the Star Wreck guys have the high res models ready to go.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back