• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

'Time's' 100 greatest movies of all time

Sinclair

\'Time\'s\' 100 greatest movies of all time

I don't know why they put them in alphabetical order.

Here's the list, in all its alphabetical glory.

I'll admit, many of those I haven't seen or even heard of. It does feature a lot of my favorites though.

Re: \'Time\'s\' 100 greatest movies of all time

I've seen .. er .. 8 of those :rolleyes: .. no I'm depressed :D

That's still one more that I've seen. :D Although I'm pretty sure I've seen bits of at least a few others in my distant youth.. won't count anything that "I think I've probably seen but just can't remember" though.

Quite a few I've never even heard of, let alone seen. My list would certainly be different, although some of my favorites are on there.

What's the deal with Citizen Kane? I tried twice to watch it, and got bored with it both times, and people absolutely rave about it?

I've seen..

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Finding Nemo
The Godfather, Part I
The Lord of the Rings
Metropolis
Pulp Fiction
Schindler's List
Star Wars

Me weak :D

I counted 28 that I know I've seen, 2 or 3 that I think I've seen but may have only seen lots of chunks of, and another 8 or 10 or so that I've seen bits and pieces of somewhere along the line.

I am woefully lacking in non-English language films.

Citizan Kane is sort of an interesting movie. However, it gets listed much more consistently when the list is titled "Greatest Movies" than when it is titled "Favorite Movies". It was *extremely* innovative and influantial in terms of how movies are made (editing; camera angles; use of multiple images, reflections, etc.; story structure; .....). On the flip side, it isn't nearly as much *fun* to watch as a lot of movies.

I've seen:

Blade Runner
Bride of Frankenstein
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Finding Nemo
The Fly
The Godfather
The Godfather part II
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Goodfellas
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
It's A Wonderful Life
King Kong
The Lord of the Rings
Pinocchio
Psycho
Pulp Fiction
Raging Bull
Schindler's List
Some Like it Hot
Star Wars
Taxi Driver
Unforgiven

Citizan Kane is sort of an interesting movie. However, it gets listed much more consistently when the list is titled "Greatest Movies" than when it is titled "Favorite Movies". It was *extremely* innovative and influantial in terms of how movies are made (editing; camera angles; use of multiple images, reflections, etc.; story structure; .....). On the flip side, it isn't nearly as much *fun* to watch as a lot of movies.

Eh, Alfred Hitchcoks's Rope is much more deserving of that praise, IMHO, and is a fun movie to watch, and sorely missing from the list.

'Course, I never thought much of Casablanca either, so...

You could make an argument for Rope being more deserving than Kane in terms of innovation (though, I think a fair argument could also be made in either direction).

However, I don't think that it is even close in terms of influance on other films.

The things that were innovative about how Rope was put together *still* come off as being interesting and unusual. That tells you that are some limits as to how frequently those techniques have been adopted by later film makers.

Most of the things that were innovative about how Kane was made appear completely unremarkable to present day viewers (unless they are specifically thinking in terms of whether things were new at the time the movie was made). They have just become pretty "normal", invisible tools (or parts of the visual movie making "vocabulary") that never jump out at anyone any more.

The very fact that Kane has influanced more filmmakers to use the innovations that it brought, ends up making it less interesting to watch for a modern audiance. From the modern perspective, almost all of the stuff that was exciting and new in the visuals at the time, now come off as being very much been-there-seen-that, pedestrian stuff. You have to keep reminding yourself that this was made in 1941. It just looks like a much more modern movie than that (think of other pre-WWII movies) ..... and that is because it influanced later films to look like it.

Of course, all of that doesn't make it any more fun to watch. Unless, of course, you are watching it entirely from a film history POV.

It is just *possible* that you might enjoy it more (compared with just watching the movie itself) by renting the DVD and watching it with one of the commentary tracks talking about all of film history / innovation aspects.

Citizen Kane is considered the greatest film of all time because critics and other filmmakers admire auteurs- film makers who's singular artistic vision is the foundation for the film. Kane was Orson Welle's first foray into film after his radio career. To make the film, he had to secure the funding, fight the propoganda against it perpetrated by media mogul William Randalph Hearst (who was paranoid that it was about him), cast it, co-write it, direct it, produce it, and star in it.

As Piillowrock stated, the techniques used to piece this thing together were either revolutionary or, more commonly, a product of taking bits and pieces of other techniques and solidifying them into a foundation filmmakers would use for generations.

Plot-wise, it cleverly takes the epic structure popular at the time but it applies it to the rise and fall of one man.

The problem in appreciating a film like CK for some is that the techniques used in the film have been used so much since that you're just not going to recognise how ingenious they are because you've seen it all a million times in movies made after it.

I highly recommend listening to Roger Ebert's commentary on the DVD.

As for "fun to watch," it's one of the most fun for me. Welles' over-the-top but human performance is endlessly entertaining. The visual symbolism is so grand and the dialogue flows much better than most "epics."

I'm glad to see Barry Lyndon on the list. An over-looked masterpiece in Kubrick's body of work.

Still there's no denying that this list is snobbish, if just for the inclussion of Fassbinder's 15 hour TV miniseries. I mean, sure, ya gotta include one of his flicks, but The Marriage of Maria Braun or something like that would make more sense.

But to its credit, it does include sci-fi (Blade Runner) and even Lord of the Rings

Overall a great list, mostly because I love a lot of stuff on it, bue also because it gave me some great things to put on my netflix queue and some things I wish were even out on DVD!
I also love that they included their original reviews, including the negative ones.

Surprises on the list:
- Children of Paradise
This LONG French film doesn't feel long, but it certainly feels French, in a good way- it's the romance and art associated with Paris summed up perfectly on film, and it's simply gorgeous.

- City of God
Hard to watch without feeling sick, unless you're into non-fiction inspired images of children shooting each other.

- The Crime of Monsieur Lange
Grand Illusion would be the more reasonable choice unless, like the Fassbinder, you wanna make me look likea dolt for not having seen this one.

- Detour
Man I just love this flick! Film noir at its most hateful.

- Drunken Master II
!

- Finding Nemo
ditto

- Putting Godfather I & II together in one entry is cheating ;)

- Ikiru
Sure, pick the one prime-era Kurusawa film I haven't seen :rolleyes:

- Smiles of a Summer Night
Bergman's one comedy is here but not the Seventh Seal.

Films I've seen:
Barry Lyndon (****)
Blade Runner (****)
Bonnie & Clyde (**)
Brazil (***)
Bride of Frankenstein (***)
Casablanca (****)
Charade (***)
Children of Paradise (****)
Chinatown (****)
Citzen Kane (****)
City of Lights (****0
City of God (****)
Closely Watched Trains (**)
Detour (****)
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (***)
Double Indemnity (****)
Dr. Strangelove (****)
Drunken Master II (****)
E.T. (***)
8 1/2 (***)
The 400 Blows (****)
Finding Nemo (***)
The Fly (***)
The Godfather I & II (****)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (****)
Goodfellas (****)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (***)
It's A Gift (***)
It's A Wonderful Life (**)
King Kong (***)
The Lady Eve (***)
Lawrence of Arabia (****)
Lord of the Rings (****)
The Manchurian Candidate (***)
Metropolis (***)
Miller's Crossing (***)
Notorious (****)
On the Watefront (***)
Once Upon a Time in the West (****)
Out of the Past (***)
Persona (****)
Pinocchio (****)
Psycho (****)
Pulp Fiction (****)
Raging Bull (****)
Schlinder's List (***)
The Searchers (****)
Sherlock, Jr (****)
Singin' in the Rain (**)
Smiles of a Summer Night (****)
Some Like It Hot (****)
Star Wars (****)
A Streetcar Name Desire (****)
Swing Time (**)
Taxi Driver (****)
Tokyo Story (**)
Umberto D (***)
Unforgiven (****)
White Heat (***)
Yojimbo (****)

Total seen: 60
(though I expect Jade Jaguar to surpass this number)

Here are the ones I've seen (21), not nearly as many as you :

Blade Runner
Casablanca
Chinatown
Citizen Kane
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
The Godfather, Parts I and II
Goodfellas
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
It's a Wonderful Life
King Kong
Lawrence of Arabia
The Lord of the Rings
The Manchurian Candidate
Meet Me in St. Louis
Pinocchio
Pulp Fiction
Raging Bull
Schindler's List
Star Wars
Taxi Driver
Unforgiven

One demonstration of how the innovative can become invisible. I'm fairly sure before "Citizen Kane" movie sets didn't have ceilings and therefore no shots of people from below.

On a related note:

Nobody before tht had built sets with floors raised up above the floor of the studio. Getting those up-looking shots required that too, to allow for camera placement.

It may seem obvious in rertospect. However, nobody had ever figured out how much that sort of thing could subliminally effect the audiance's perceptions. It took someone with the vision to see those shots in their head when nobody had ever filmed such a shot before, and say "Yes, this wiil be worth what we have to do get the shot."

(Note: the IMDb trivia page for Kane mentions up-angled and down-angled viewing perspectives for different characters. However, those were not shots where characters were moving around on a set. They were standing still with just sky behind them. They were also at much shallower angles.)

Also:
Sets with ceilings required figuring out entirely new lighting techniques.

I've seen 38, which surprised me, to be honest, considering how many of them I thought either "I've never got around to watching that" or "I've never even HEARD of that?!".

Some odd ones though. The Fly? I mean...I enjoyed it but I certainly wouldn't rate it that highly...

Here are the ones I've seen...:

Blade Runner (1982)
Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
Brazil (1985)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Casablanca (1942)
Chinatown (1974)
Citizen Kane
Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
The Fly (1986)
The Godfather, Parts I and II (1972, 1974)
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)
Goodfellas (1990)
A Hard Day's Night (1964)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
It's A Wonderful Life (1946)
King Kong (1933)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Lord of the Rings (2001-03)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Metropolis (1927)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Pinocchio (1940)
Psycho (1960)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Raging Bull (1980)
Schindler's List (1993)
The Searchers (1956)
Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
The Shop Around the Corner (1940)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
The Singing Detective (1986)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
Star Wars (1977)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Taxi Driver (1976)
Unforgiven (1992)

VB

I believe I have seen 84* of those. A few I didn't count, I think I may have seen years ago, and forgotten. Some, Like the Apu Trilogy, and City of God, I have wanted to see, but haven't. I think that about 15 of their picks would be on my hundred favorites list as well. I quite dislike ET and Pulp Fiction, as well as a few others on there. Tarantino would give his left nut to have made Takeshi Kitano's Fireworks, a much better film than PF, but it isn't listed.

Sanjuro, left off, is my hands-down favorite of Kurosawa films, but Ikiru is an excellent film, and Yojimbo is probably my second favorite Kurosawa film.

Far and away my favorite Fellini film, left off, Is Juliet of the Spirits. 8 1/2 is a great film though.

I love Aguire, Wrath of God, but think very few people would call it a favorite.

Citizen Kane is an excellent film, for all the reasons given, and I enjoy it immensely. But, I think Welles' Touch Of Evil is an even better film, and more enjoyable, in it's restored form.

I'm glad to see Ugetsu, Wings of Desire, Blade Runner, Brazil, Detour, Strangelove, 400 Blows, Hard Day's Night, King Kong, and Out Of The Past on there.

I'm not going to make a list of my all-time favorites that were left off, but I'll mention one. It is Lindsay Anderson's O, Lucky Man, starring a pre-clockwork Malcom Mc Dowell. It is rarely seen, not available on DVD, and too long for one VHS tape. If I chance upon it on a commercial free TV channel, I watch it!

*After carefully going through the list, and clicking on things I wasn't sure of, I have to 'fess up, I've actually only seen 76 of these. I'm suprised there were so many Indian films on there! I hadn't seen any of them.

Okay, a few of my favorites, that they didn't list, and I didn't mention above. No particular order, except as they occur to me. It's a lot easier to do a favorites, rather than best, list! These are films, that if I start watching them, say spot them while flipping the remote, I can't leave...

Bye Bye, Brazil
A group of three people tours the Amazon in a bus, putting on sideshow performances in small towns and villages.

The Third Man
No film ever communicated the feeling of time and place better.

The Big Sleep
Bogart's most convoluted film noir mystery, classic lines like "She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up."

KIss Me Deadly
Made in 1955, but a very modern detective film noir, that helped inspire French New Wave cinema.

Captain Blood
An Errol Flynn swashbuckler. He is sold into slavery, for political actions he didn't do, escapes to become a pirate captain. Be sure you see the 119m version, not the 99m one.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre
B. Traven's tale of what real treasure is. "We don't need no stinking badges!"

Orpheus
Directed by Jean Cocteau. A surreal tale mixing love, death, facism, and strange things on the radio.

Woman In the Dunes
Japanese. An entomologist is trapped at the bottom of a pit of sand, where a strange woman lives in a house. Strange and amazing film.

The Ruling Class
Peter O'toole plays a mad english lord, who believes he is Christ. Very funny.

The Party
Peter Sellers, directed by Blake Edwards. So funny that the first time I watched it, I couldn't stop laughing for the entire film, and was sore for two days. Not as funny the second time around, but still good.

Chac, the Rain God
Shot in Mexico's Lacandon rainforest, with an all indian cast, and a script they helped to write. Amazing.

Wages of Fear
Directed by Cluzot, despirate men transporting dynamite through the Venezuelan jungle.

Z
Directed by Costa-Gavras. About the best political thriller there is, based on true events in Greece, which paralleled those in the US.

Beau Hunks
A 37 min. OLiver and Hardy film. Ollie is jilted by "Jeannie Weenie," so they join the foreign legion, where everyone else was jilted by her, too. They actually outsmart the "Riffians" laying seige to the dessert outpost! IMO, their best.

The Fugitive Kind
Marlon Brando plays Valentine Xavier, an "entertainer" wearing a snakeskin jacket, who is forced to leave New Orleans. He wanders into a small town, and gets a job in a store, run by Anna Magnani, and owned by her consumately evil husband, Victor Jory. Brando's most underappreciated film, and my favorite of his.

Well, I could go on and on, but 15 is enough.

Well a favorite film of mine that was not on that list is Mullholland Drive, but I know I'll never see that one on any list.

I also love The Big Sleep and The Third Man and Kiss Me Deadly. Orpheus is too self-importantly arts-fartsy for me.

As of now my top films I guess would be Seven Samurai (not on the list), Godfather (specifically part I), 2001 (not on the list) and Good, Bad Ugly.

Mullholland Drive and Seven Samurai are also favorites of mine. To me, Orpheus is obsessive and magical. I am also amazed by how much shooting of mirrors there is, without getting the camera in any of the shots. I'll have to admit that I'm not a spaghetti western fan, probably because I saw the Kurosawa films they derive from first, and liked them so much better. I don't think I've seen a Kurosawa film I didn't like, although I like some better that others. Dersu Uzala really draws me in every time. Blue Velvet is probably my favorite David Lynch film.

I was quite surprised to find that I've seen 48 of those listed. I'm not good on non-English language movies, as I hate sub-titles, but there are some of my favourites in there, including Brazil and Blade Runner.

My full list is:

• Baby Face (1933)
• Barry Lyndon (1975)
• Blade Runner (1982)
• Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
• Brazil (1985)
• Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
• Casablanca (1942)
• Charade (1963)
• Chinatown (1974)
• Citizen Kane (1941)
• Dodsworth (1936)
• Double Indemnity (1944)
• Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
• E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
• Finding Nemo (2003)
• The Fly (1986)
• The Godfather, Parts I and II (1972, 1974)
• The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)
• Goodfellas (1990)
• A Hard Day's Night (1964)
• His Girl Friday (1940)
• Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
• It's A Wonderful Life (1946)
• Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
• King Kong (1933)
• Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
• The Lord of the Rings (2001-03)
• The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
• Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
• Metropolis (1927)
• Ninotchka (1939)
• Notorious (1946)
• On the Waterfront (1954)
• Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
• Pinocchio (1940)
• Psycho (1960)
• Pulp Fiction (1994)
• The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
• Schindler's List (1993)
• The Searchers (1956)
• The Shop Around the Corner (1940)
• Singin' in the Rain (1952)
• The Singing Detective (1986
• Some Like It Hot (1959)
• Star Wars (1977)
• A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
• Unforgiven (1992)
• White Heat (1949)

The Big Sleep
Bogart's most convoluted film noir mystery, classic lines like "She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up."

I love that movie, but I love the book even more. It was convoluted, to the point where even the author lost the plot, and forgot to solve one of the murders :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

Back