• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Deadwood season 2

I read one criticism of the show that opines the dialogue has become too insular and complex. This may be true, but at the same time those of us watching from the beginning have developed an ear for it, like a musician who immerses himself in a new kind of music.

It took me awhile to adjust to it again when the season started, but within an episode or two I caught on again. The interesting dialogue is one of my favorite aspects of the show.

I went through this with Farscape too when I first started watching it. I think it was the accents of the actors I had trouble with at first. Closed captioning helped me catch a few things I missed. :LOL:

Well yes, it wasn't I complaining about the dialogue. :)

Because of the nature of the dialogue, I have to watch the show very loudly (usually I use headphones) and focus intently, even more so than when watching Babylon 5. It makes it such a wonderful experience, the most fun I've ever had watching TV.

I think I'm gonna have to make an exception on my moratorium of DVD buying, breakdown and get the boxsets for Deadwood. Would look sweet next to Babylon 5.

Season finale was last night. I love this show and now the waiting for season 3 begins...

EB just cracks me up. The complete shutdown he goes through when someone offers to buy his hotel. The thought of not being there just displaces the guy. He now has the best of both worlds. He received the huge payoff he's been seeking and stays in his dump with Richardson.

Early in the season, I felt Cy's "stock" in the camp was on the rise when partnered with Wolcott. In the beginning of this episode, I thought we were seeing the decline as if Cy had been used up and was being cast aside. Interesting turn that he now seeks, and should he survive the knife wound, will likely have Wolcott's job seeing to the Hearst interests.

Creepy seeing Wolcott's body fall and bounce when he hanged himself. Not unexpected, just a creepy death for a creepy guy.

With all the criminal element, plotting, backstabbing, and underhanded deals, I feel this show is Sopranos in the Wild West. :LOL: I love it.

I actually thought the Garrett/Elsworth wedding was pretty cool. I think it's going to harder for Elsworth as his lifestyle will be changing fairly drastically.

All in all, this was an excellent season, with many characters developing in different ways and a lot of very good storylines.

I wonder what next season will bring.

I actually thought it was a rather happy ending.

Seth moving on home (and I absolutely loved Swearingen's comment "it's to your right") and Alma seeming not just accepting but even eager to begin her marriage to Ellsworth tells us that they each will move on and have the potential to be happy.

Mrs. Bullock finding the seedlings her dead son planted was a bit heavy-handed but appropriate imagery. Of course we knew she would stay in Deadwood.

Cy's and Al's futures, barring any major (and corny) "shocks" are set: Al is the future of Deadwood. Note how differently the two of them started their relationships with Hearst:
- Cy only saw an opportunity for blackmail and a quick score, using unfortunate events in the past to capitalize on them.
- Al came to Hearst with respect, politeness and a plan of action for the future- both a solution to deal with an immediate problem (the Chinatown rivalries) and a sense of planning for the future of the town, as marked by his dealing with Yankton.

Note that when Al was ill, Cy had both Hearst and the Yankton comissioner in his corner. Now, due to his shortsightedness and impulsiveness, he has lost both. Cy's inherently vile nature oozes out of him and corrupts his business dealings, wereas Al can keep his darker impulses in check and channel them in ways that help or at least don't hurt his ambitions.

Wu slicing off his braid and proclaiming his loyalty to America and Al was pretty unreal.

I also love Al's disgust at the incompetence of his man after the first incident in Chinatown.

Jane at the wedding was funny- and Utter is back! Where the hell did he go?

One possible place they could go with Alma and Ellsworth is that now that they're married, Ellsworth has to learn not be subservient to her anymore. Given her temper, that could make for a tight situation.

We will also probably see Hearst battling for Alma's claim and therefore maybe learn more of the backstory as to why Ellsworth hates Hearst (remember it was that mistrust that led him to correctly advice Alma to keep her claim in the wake of the false rumours).

E.B. has gone from funny to downright disturbing. I actually hope we don't have another "main character goes crazy" thread like with the first preacher. And speaking of preachers- gutting Cy with a knife! Woa!
Someone else pointed out to me the poetic justice of him being punished by a servant of the Lord shortly after mocking his name during his extortion bid to Hearst.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wyatt Earp appears next season.

I agree G-Eye, with the flowers thing. I had a feeling the boy would die, seeing as he just planted those flowers and his mom would eventually see them coming up through the dirt. Sunflowers / "Son"flowers. Kind of cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wyatt Earp appears next season.

I wouldn't either. I've read that he did actually spend some time in Deadwood, and the next season would surely be within the right timeframe.

Ah. I guess he just didn't want to tell Jane about that whole thing and upset her further. But he made it seem like he was seriously considering never coming back, hency my surprise at seeing him back so quickly.

I think Charlie just needed to cool off a bit and man, the minute Jonie got Jane in a dress, I KNEW Charlie would have to come back if only to see Jane all gussied up!

I recently picked up season 1 on DVD and already watched the first 4 eps (ending in Hickock's death). I cannot recommend all fans to get a hold of the DVDs an view them a second time. Being able to watch the opening eps without having to adjust to the language, characters and environment is a revelation. My favorite thing is that I totally forgot Ellsworth's character in the beginning, seeing Garrett murdered, etc. It makes me realise that the events between he and Alma in season 2 really do have them saving each other.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back