• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

'Time's' 100 greatest movies of all time

Re: \'Time\'s\' 100 greatest movies of all time

I'm embarrased to say I've only seen six or seven of those... but then again i'm not a great fan of cinema or tv.

# Casablanca (1942)
# E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
# The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)
Goodfellas (1990)
# Ikiru (1952)
# Star Wars (1977)

And perhaps the fly, but i'm not sure.

The Third Man
No film ever communicated the feeling of time and place better.

Quite possibly my favorite movie. I also would have put Throne of Blood on that list. Oh well, what 'best of' list is perfect?

Just for the heck of it, I cross referenced this list with the American Film Institutes list of 100 "America's Greatest Movies".

By definition, the lists will be different because of the inclusion / exclusion of non-American movies. Given that the AFI's list is now a few / several years old, we'll give them a pass on not listing The Lord of the Rings or Finding Nemo. After all, they weren't out yet when the AFI's list was compiled. I'm also assuming that the AFI excluded Sergio Leone's The Good, tha Bad, and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West on the grounds that they aren't American movies (although I know plenty of people who see American lead actors and do think of them as American "enough").

Still, it is remakable how different the lists are. The Time list still does include a high percentage of American movies, so you would think that virtually all of the AFI's top 25 ought to make the Time overall list. After all there are well over 25 American movies on Time's list. However, 11 of the AFI's top 23 don't make Time's list at all, and they include movies ranked as high as # 4 by the AFI. Those 11, with their AFI ranking are:

4 Gone with the Wind
6 The Wizard of Oz
7 The Graduate
12 Sunset Boulevard
13 The Bridge on the River Kwai
16 All About Eve
17 The African Queen
20 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
21 The Grapes of Wrath
22 2001: A Space Odyssey
23 The Maltese Falcon

On the other hand 4 of the 5 movies that the AFI ranked from 94 - 98 are on Time's list:
94 Goodfellas
95 Pulp Fiction
96 The Searchers
98 Unforgiven

Note that 3 of those 4 are comparatively recent movies, which may have tended to lower them in the AFI poll.

Overall, there are 27 movies that made both lists, though that only represents 26 of Time's 100. Time combined Godfather I and II into one entry, while the AFI lists them separately (at #3 and #32, respectively).

American movies that make Time's list but are left off the AFI's longer list (longer relative to American movies that is) include:

Blad Runner
Bride of Frankenstein (though the AFI did include the orginal Frankenstein)
Charade
His Girl Friday
Meet Me in St. Louis
Miller's Crossing
Ninotchka
Notorious
Pinocchio (among Disney movies of that period, the AFI instead chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
The Purple Rose of Cairo
White Heat

Whenever I see stuff like this I wonder to myself how much people get paid ot make lists like these.

I'd like to nominate Markas for that job. The lists would be significantly more interesting. :)

Well, it looks like the AFI list has more credibility in the sense of being a consensus rather than just a random opinion.

It looks like the Time list was put together by their 2 regular film critics. The AFI list was the result of a poll 1500 "leaders" of the film industry, from most fields of film production as well as critics.

What makes Kane such a stand-out is that it influence so many people who have never seen it. It made such an impact on filmmakers of its time, it was copied so often, by so many, that its techniques (like Griffith's in the silent era) simply because a part of the volcabulary of film. Similarly there are lots of people who have never sat through a performance of a single one of Shakespeare's plays, or red the text, who use words and phrases every day that the Bard first coined. Writers and filmmakers who might cite a Kubrik or a Coppola as an influence on their work may not realize how much of "their" stuff came ultimately from Welles.

The film even changed other industries. Jack Kirby tells how the artists of the Golden Age of comic books in the 1940s bragged about who had seen Citizen Kane the most times. People like Kirby, Joe Kubert, Bill Elliot and Will Eisner were decisively influenced by Kane and adapted many of its techniques to the comic book page. (Kirby and Eisner more-or-less independenlty discovered ways to "cut" to close-ups, switch to panoramic views and make panel size take the place of pace in a film. Kane's use of light and shadow also translated readily to the comic book page.)

From Kirby's generation, to Jim Steranko and Neal Adams who further revolutionized comic book art in the 60s and 70s, to John Byrne in the 80s and down through today's artists a lot of people are doing things that they might never have done had Kane not come along - even the ones who've barely heard of the film.

Regards,

Joe

Has anyone here seen both Kieslowski's Decalogue and the three colors trilogy? I've seen the trilogy and while I liked them I did feel a bit closure that I'd seen the best Kieslowski had to offer given the three colors were his last movies. I have a lot of other stuff in my Netflix queue to work through and don't relish adding another ten things untill I'm out of flix I want to see. Is the decalogue better than the trilogy I've seen?

A list from Time magazine, which is a part of Time Warner Communications. I wonder how many of the top 100 movies on their list were produced by Warner Brothers, RKO, MGM or New Line Cinema?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back