• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

All things Star Wars & the new up and coming TV show official chat thread

What Star Wars movie did you like the most?

• Phantom Menace

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Attack Of The Clones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Revenge Of The Sith

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A new Hope

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Return Of The Jedi

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fellow Babylonians lend me your ear.......Errrrr..... Well not literally. :rolleyes:
kEEP THE EAR I GOT MY OWN.... :D ;) This thread is intended for topics related to well just as the title says: 'ALL THINGS STAR WARS & THE UP AND COMING STAR WARS TV SHOW...' From time to time if someone has something they would like to post about the new show or talk about the movies. This is where (if you like) you can do it. COOL.....now with that said without further a doooo.....

How about we kick off the thread with a poll. :) Vote on the poll at the top, then bring up talk of any info about the 'new show' , (if any is known) or discuss the movies.

Last edited:
Re: ALL THINGS STAR WARS & THE NEW UP AND COMING TV SHOW OFFICIAL CHAT THREAD

Your thread title is a little... loud.

Crumbs...who voted Phantom Menace?

You all do realise of course that Jar Jar Binks is completely responsible for the rise of the Empire. It is his proposition to give executive powers to Palpatine (in Attack of the Clones) that starts the downward slide.

Eh, they would have found some other patsy; I don't blame Jar Jar.

I blame Lucas for sabotaging his own epic. He raised the bar very high for himself with Empire, and he never got that high again.

Eh, they would have found some other patsy; I don't blame Jar Jar.

I blame Lucas for sabotaging his own epic. He raised the bar very high for himself with Empire, and he never got that high again.

I think part of the trouble was that he believed his own press too much and took himself too seriously.

One thing that annoys me is that Lucas has a cadre of film makers who surround him and back him to the hilt on everything critical. They are very much establishment now... and pour cold water on other people's projects. Yet in the early days, people were saying exactly the same sort of stuff about him.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy those directors works... but I don't like that aspect of their nature.

Maybe I don't know enough about the history between Lucas and the people he professionally dislikes and if so I'm happy to stand corrected.

Your thread title is a little... loud.

If you have one that is better I'm open to anything. :D :beer:
***But tell me quick before it wont allow me to edit it any more.

Last edited:

Galahad said:

You all do realise of course that Jar Jar Binks is completely responsible for the rise of the Empire. It is his proposition to give executive powers to Palpatine (in Attack of the Clones) that starts the downward slide.

I did.

And it seem to me that the ENTIRE SENATE is responsible for the rise of the Empire, after all the whole body voted on the motion. It's not like Jar Jar had the power to single-handedly grant Palpatine anything, he made a proposition.

Last edited:

I did.

And I seem to me that the ENTIRE SENATE is responsible for the rise of the Empire, after all the whole body voted on the motion. It's not like Jar Jar had the power to single-handedly grant Palpatine anything, he made a proposition.

Vacantlook that is a very good point well said. :beer:

If you have one that is better I'm open to anything. :D :beer:
***But tell me quick before it wont allow me to edit it any more.

You can keep the words the same -- just don't put it in all caps.

The best thing he ever did,long live the Empire ;)

I voted Return of the Sith.All the fun and games,not too much of the slopy love story and with the rise of the Empire finally seen.

I am looking forward to the series and think that it could be quite good if done right.

I have only ventured into the expanded universe a little and avoided the kids stuff(apart from when I was a kid).However I believe that with the budget it will have and the material sources at hand a great story could be told.

Anyway,I thought it started next year :confused:

Some of the expanded universe stuff is better than the originals. Timothy Zahn created the most interesting characters yet, and very wisely used Luke's abilities with the Force sparingly.

Matthew Stover's "Shatterpoint" is also phenomenal, essentially Heart of Darkness transposed brilliantly into the Prequel Trilogy universe with Mace Windu as the protagonist.

I held out hope that Revenge of the Sith would salvage the prequel trilogy, but I was wrong. It had one really great scene (Anakin and Palpatine at the opera) and the rest was too big, too loud, too telegraphed... although I did like the cinnimon bun cameo. So now the prequels are dead to me. I occasionally wonder how I could remake Jedi and the prequels to make them work better.

Let's put it this way: Firefly, B5, and some Battlestar Galactica make me doubt that I'll ever be a great writer, while I feel that I could have improved the prequel SW movies immesurably if Lucas had just sent the drafts past me first.

It might of helped that I read the book of Revenge of the Sith just after watching it that made me like it.

Zahn was excellent and made my get into Star Wars again :)

Cloak of Deception by James Luceno is ok too.

The best out of the original books was Alan Dean Fosters original Star Wars (even though Palpatine was nothing more than a weak beaurocrat).Splinter of the Minds Eye was weaker but was intended as a cheap sequal if it never got that popular.

I don't know how to do the spoiler blocks so wont say why yet.I'll find out and then say :)

Jar Jar started the Empire, and the Ewoks precipitated its downfall with their AT-ST destroying catapults.

At least there is some circle there.

And we have Indy IV in 2008, its official!!!

You can keep the words the same -- just don't put it in all caps.

Oh well I was afraid of that I've waited to long, it's refusing to let me edit my first posts thread title. SHHHHHHHAZBOT.... :eek:

I guess we're stuck with it all in caps.... :D :p :p :p

Last edited:

I did.

And it seem to me that the ENTIRE SENATE is responsible for the rise of the Empire, after all the whole body voted on the motion. It's not like Jar Jar had the power to single-handedly grant Palpatine anything, he made a proposition.

Ah but none of them had the spoons to make the proposition... they were followers. Jar Jar realised something uncomfortable was being asked because of the silence and instead of having the comon sense to either publicly question/resist it, or just keep his trap shut like the other sheep... he played right into Palpatine's hands.

Although it is true that Palpatine asked the question in exactly the kind of way that would make Jar Jar respond.

I think I was mainly trying to make the point that it's the small things in Star Wars that make the big things possible.

Like in A New Hope, if the gunner on the Star Destroyer had shot the lifepod... the rest of the original trilogy would never have occurred. That's what I was trying to convey... how one small cast of the die affects all the great and the good. The butterfly effect.

Kenobi was always my favourite character (as portrayed by Guiness primarily).

And of the course this saying of Star Wars is often true:

As a boy you want to be Luke Skywalker, as a man you want to be Han Solo.:)

As a man I want to be in between though, personally.

Some of the expanded universe stuff is better than the originals. Timothy Zahn created the most interesting characters yet, and very wisely used Luke's abilities with the Force sparingly.

Matthew Stover's "Shatterpoint" is also phenomenal, essentially Heart of Darkness transposed brilliantly into the Prequel Trilogy universe with Mace Windu as the protagonist.

I held out hope that Revenge of the Sith would salvage the prequel trilogy, but I was wrong. It had one really great scene (Anakin and Palpatine at the opera) and the rest was too big, too loud, too telegraphed... although I did like the cinnimon bun cameo. So now the prequels are dead to me. I occasionally wonder how I could remake Jedi and the prequels to make them work better.

Let's put it this way: Firefly, B5, and some Battlestar Galactica make me doubt that I'll ever be a great writer, while I feel that I could have improved the prequel SW movies immesurably if Lucas had just sent the drafts past me first.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
No kidding Zahn is amazing, go to the thread about books and you'll find all kinds of novels he has written; some which I talk about there. :)
Here is hoping Lucas will have Mara Jade and Thrawn in the show somewhere. I know it's suppose to be about lesser known characters but they atleast should have Bobba Fett and Darth Vader in it.

Mace rocks!!! I'll have to check out 'Shatter Point'. Do you realize he technically never ever lost a fight in the movies? :eek: He won all his confrontations. :D It took a cheap shot from Anakin to wound him so Palpatine could take him out. :mad: DANG ANAKIN!!! :mad: ERRR... Can't stand that child killing punk!!! Give me 5 minutes with him in a ring.... :devil:
I'll show him 'The Chosen One', the chosen fist may be.... EYE OF THE TIGER BABY!!! :D

Episode III: Define to big, to loud, to telegraphy? Do you mean it was to much eye candy and to perdictable? :( Now Episode I was guilty of the eye candy and not enough plot development I'll grant you that. I for one would have liked to see a little more of the in house back stabbing like a reinactment of the Cesarian Senate in Roman times. This was briefly touched on in all the movies but not enough to increase that part of the stories tension.

"The prequels are dead to you?" WOW heavy words.... I know they were not as good maybe as Empire but they don't deserve to be labeled that bad.
***What about the arena scene in Episode II?
***What about the Darth Maul fights in Episode I?
***The only thing I disliked about Episode III was the voices they reengineered for the C.I.S. androids and of coarse the annoying Namodian who says fire!!! Other than that I thought III ROCKED!!! :D

I too would like to have tinkered a bit with the prequals, (like you I am a writer) but after all it is his baby. It is a pitty we have no say. :( I for one wish Gungans had never been created and abhor JAR JAR BINKS. :devil: Although he did have his brief moments like when his tongue got electricuted. :LOL: But I still shiver at the scene in the sub where he screams and acts all crazy, that scene made my Dad hate Star Wars forever after. JAR JAR KILLED ALL THE FUN FOR MY DAD I learned to try and get used to him but it is hard... There is something about that voice and the way he talks,.... it just gets under your skin. My Dad doesn't even understand what he says half the time. :confused:

C3-PO may have been a nuisance but we atleast didn't want him to forever go away. Jar Jar has so many hate sites started in his name it is insane I don't understand why George Lucas can't see that. He atleast had less and less of him each movie. But even that Annie yell comment in Episode II was like finger nails on a chalk board. Even today I fast forward through 90% of his scenes...

Yes the prequals have there downs.... But what about the amazing saber battles: :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :eek:

HTML:
WARNING PLOT GIVE AWAYS TO FOLOW!!!

Yoda vs Dooku (Darth Tyranus)
Yoda vs Palpatine (Darth Sidious)
Obi Wan vs Anakin Skywalker (Darth Vader)

All very stylized and deserving of a nod.... :cool:

I SALUTE GEORGE LUCAS for his valient effort and all his hard hard work.
I can't wait for STAR WARS 3-D!!! :D

Last edited:

I always wanted to be Han,my brother wanted to be an Ewok :LOL:

My favourite character from the original films was Darth Vader though.From the very first moment he appeared he dominated the screen for me.I was also a little scared first time round,especially when he lifted the captive captain by his neck.

I've heard Boba Fett is going to feature although as a bad guy or as the expanded universe good guy.

It would be cool to see Darth Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi.

I wouldn't say the prequels are dead to me either. The scene I referred to about the Senate vote is important... because it mirrors what is going on in modern terms.

With the Droid Army and the Separatists, you had a threat to the civilised world that is created and used by Palpatine to unlock all the doors he needed to rise to absolute power.

It was his justification for having funding poured into the creation of the clone army.

It was his justification for having all executive powers turned over to him.

By surrendering political rights and freedoms, the Empire came about... then the droid army was deactivated.

In our world, we have the threat of international terrorism... it is a real threat. Nonetheless, should we really be allowing fear to govern our political options?

We find our politicians arguing in Palpatinesquie manner that we should surrender political freedoms in an attempt to combat these things. I don't believe their hypothetical argument. I believe that like Palpatine, they are using the genuine threat of terrorism and dressing it up so that they can bring these laws in for their own purposes.

I do not believe those purposes to be good ones.

It would be cool to see Darth Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi.

HERE HERE I SECOND THAT... CHEERS... :beer:

(For both drama sake and to see Darth truly fight enemies other then children, who are a actual threat [other than Obi Wan: who by the way he lost too]. It would be cool to see him fight Sindralig and Serra like in the Episode III video game. They could do it in a kind of a flash back sequence when Vaders in his chamber reminiscing of Padme. It could be very cool if it's done right. First his torment over her loss then he turns to hate and he thinks of that fight. But of coarse the search for jedi on other worlds must be played out as well that is a gimme. It is what we have only heard about but never really scene on the scale it hints at).

Last edited:

The thing that holds all six movies together is Anakin/Vader. Trouble is, the combination of actors who played Vader in the originals made him far more believeable than Hayden Christensen did, although I put that down to bad writing and bad direction more than anything else.

Anakin was simply not convincing. Tell me: why did Vader go bad? Was it because of his mother? Because of some bad dream about his wife? Because the Jedi Order didn't allow said marriage? Because he was power-hungry? The correct answer is e) all of the above... never mind that this rather destroys the dramatic unity of his tragic-hero arc. It's like Lucas just couldn't decide why Anakin went bad and decided to give him half a dozen reasons to just to be sure.

Also, the fight scenes got to be over the top. The beasts in the Arena were only useful for getting Natalie Portman's shirt ripped. Yoda doing the drunken-master saber battle was flashy, but the impressive thing about Yoda was always how small and inactive he was. What he should have done was just used the Force to take Dooku's saber away from him (oh, and don't get me started on Lucas's naming conventions... I mean, the right hand of Palpatine is named Dooku?). They could have made it work if they'd shown some character development in Yoda -- realizing that battles and war won't fix anything -- but as it is, he gets his ass whupped and then we next see him living in a swamp saying "Wars not make one great." He looks like a coward now, sending Luke out to do the fighting for him.

Seriously. Give me the budget and give me time, and I could assemble a more coherent (and far more gripping) narrative than Lucas did. Sure, I'd keep many of the same themes, because Lucas has always been good at themes, but I'd tighten up the rather chaotic and nonsensical Anakin/Vader transformation. Try this on for size: Vader kills Padme in a fit of rage, and that is what pushes him over the edge. Palpatine gets not just the Clonetroopers but the whole Republic to turn on the Jedi, due to Jedi arrogance. Yoda withdraws voluntarily, ashamed of what the order has become, and in his absence a power struggle destroys the Jedi from within, with Vader as a catalyst. The Clone Wars rage for decades, savaging whole worlds. The Jedi are hunted down one by one....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back