B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old October 27th 21, 01:06   #21
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas
Re: Dune

That is a sensible place to end. Thanks!
Old October 27th 21, 05:31   #22
hypatia
First One

And today they announced that Part 2 has been given the go-ahead.

I loved the movie. It set the stage for what I hope may be a series of the Frank Herbert Dune books. It defined the characters. But will people who are not already Dune fans like it, when basically all of the backstory was not addressed? Not to mean that I think that was a bad choice, I think itís the only one a movie can make, really. The backstory is so complicated, it would just choke any attempt at writing a movie-style plot. More on it all may come out in Part 2, as well.

But I was not disappointed, it was a fun movie. And it really was a lot more multi-cultural than the Lynch movie or the Sci-Fi miniseries. It made it feel more of a story about humanity (although by then Iíd think the races would be mixed much more, itís over 10,000 years in our future, after all).

Anyhow, it was great fun, I wonder if there will be a directorís cut.
Old October 27th 21, 14:56   #23
Ubik
Commander

Off to see this on Sunday at IMAX. Looking forward to it. Consensus amongst fans seems positive.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th 21, 00:57   #24
Moonface
Ranger

I saw it three times so far, and I really liked it, but I think it looses pace a little bit in the second half or maybe the third third.

I was also worried that people not familiar with the source material couldn't follow the start very well as a lot of things are only hinted at but not really explained (how do the shields work, why don't they use the fancy laser weapons, the Sardaukar, the missionaria protectiva and a few things more). Any thoughts on this?

Also I was not really happy with a few designs of the CGI, but all in all this are just details, I always find things to complain about ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
And it really was a lot more multi-cultural than the Lynch movie or the Sci-Fi miniseries. It made it feel more of a story about humanity (although by then I’d think the races would be mixed much more, it’s over 10,000 years in our future, after all).
That's an argument that was made for the other versions with a less heterogenic cast: "It's 10k years in the future, they're all pretty much mixed up by now, so everyone has about the same skin tone". I like the mixed cast way better, and I LOVED Liet Kynes.

Last edited by Moonface; October 28th 21 at 00:59.
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th 21, 14:00   #25
Ubik
Commander

Quote:
And it really was a lot more multi-cultural than the Lynch movie or the Sci-Fi miniseries. It made it feel more of a story about humanity (although by then I’d think the races would be mixed much more, it’s over 10,000 years in our future, after all).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonface
That's an argument that was made for the other versions with a less heterogenic cast: "It's 10k years in the future, they're all pretty much mixed up by now, so everyone has about the same skin tone". I like the mixed cast way better, and I LOVED Liet Kynes.
Yeah, glad to see the cast be more diverse. Makes sense. Had lots of fun laughing at the neckbeard fanboys screaming "DUNE IS RUINED... WOKENESS EVERYWHERE... DUNE ISN'T POLITICAL BRO... Hahahaha. Fucking hell. I am assuming most of them haven't ever read the books.

Last edited by Ubik; October 28th 21 at 14:04.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th 21, 07:53   #26
Moonface
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Yeah, glad to see the cast be more diverse. Makes sense. Had lots of fun laughing at the neckbeard fanboys screaming "DUNE IS RUINED... WOKENESS EVERYWHERE... DUNE ISN'T POLITICAL BRO... Hahahaha. Fucking hell. I am assuming most of them haven't ever read the books.
to cite looney: :g uffaw:

In what world is dune not political?
Old October 30th 21, 04:58   #27
hypatia
First One

I saw a You Tube video of someone replying to some a criticism that it was a "white savior" story. The critic clearly hasn't read the rest of the book series. I hope this director can do more than 2, I'd love to see him direct the entire original series.

I was worried at first that the box office might not be big enough with the HBO Max showing, but the second film has already been greenlit.
Old October 30th 21, 18:30   #28
Looney
Telepath

As I have been quoted I felt it necessary speak up.....

My honest opinion is that I was slightly disappointed, BUT I had high expectations - that thing I always tell people to avoid.

I REALLY like what Villeneuve attempts to do, but he always comes up a bit short for me.

Objectively Speaking
The good: Visually stunning. Amazing Cast.
The bad: I felt it was a bit too drawn out. Chalamet might not have been the best choice.

Subjectively speaking.
I love the Lynch version for what it is - colorful, crazy, bombastic, loud, and out there. I felt like Villeneuve went away from that so much it made his version seem a bit dull. Take the most colorful and menacing character from the Lynch version, Kenneth McMillan's Baron Harkonnen. Have a great idea and give the role to the fantastic Stellan Skarsgard. Have a terrible idea and take color out of the character and just leave the menace. End up with a character who is a bit dull. Of course this opinion is solely based upon a love for the Lynch version and requires the viewer to be familiar with that work. AND I fully recognize this is a part one. We have no idea where things will spiral off from here.

And I echo the sentiment of this being PART ONE and very difficult to judge until you know where the story ends up. I give this film a very positive rating and I am definitely looking forward to the sequels. After all we BARELY scratched the surface of Javier Bardem being a part of the plot and that alone makes for much anticipation.

I would also say this is my favorite Villeneuve film to date.

Speaking of Villeneuve's other work.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - When I think of that film all that comes to mind is that jarring moment when K goes to Las Vegas. It really keeps me from liking the film more. I don't hate the film, but it just broke that Blade Runner tone for me. Dark and dreary became glaringly bright and I hated it.
Old October 31st 21, 13:46   #29
Moonface
Ranger

Quote:

I saw a You Tube video of someone replying to some a criticism that it was a "white savior" story. The critic clearly hasn't read the rest of the book series. I hope this director can do more than 2, I'd love to see him direct the entire original series.
In the Lynch Version I can see why they see Dune as a white savior trope movie, in the sci fi channel version they address the point of the book that Paul is not a savior but a false prophet (he and Jessica have a short debate about that while they are at Sietch Tabr (or an other sietch, nut quite sure on this detail anymore)).
In the new version this is also mentioned, as Paul responds to Jessica upon their arrival on dune, that the Fremen only believe what they were told to believe.
I did hope for a less subtle approach on this point as I was anticipating that Dune will get heat for this, if this twist on the story is not made blatantly clear.
Old October 31st 21, 18:23   #30
Demonn
First One

So this was my first visit to the movie theater since this whole covid thing started. I was pumped... New Dune, plus it was a major production. I remember getting excited for the ones they did on the sci fi channel. I have never read a Dune book but I grew up watching the movie from the 80s and I've seen the ones on sci fi. I even played a Dune game back on PlayStation or PS2, it was like Command & Conquer.

They played the original theater release version on sci fi once and honestly I thought it played a little better and for a while was looking for it on DVD... but then gave up.

Anyway... After 25 minutes of trailers. I saw 'Part One' and was like ohh no, because then you know this is gonna be the sad movie with a questionable ending depending on where they end it. I was sitting there hoping it wouldn't have a bad ending, and I think it had a good start to finish. I hope they keep doing them because I would like to see the whole story unfold as I've never read a Dune book.

I was surprised the Diamond guy died I thought he made it further in the other movies but that might be my mind playing tricks on me.

Ohh... Then I had to get gas Tuesday and I'm 90% certain somebody syphoned gas outa my car while I was in the theater for like 3hrs. I hope they choked on it!
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote